Just a thought of mine, do tubes need re-biasing if they are the same brand and model? For example, at the moment I have 2 Ruby 6L6GCs as my power tubes, If I bought another matched set of Ruby 6L6GCs, would it need a re-bias?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.
To my knowledge, they will not need to be re-biased unless you change the model, or brand. But I would be very carful when removing them and replacing them. take it in to a guitar shop and have them do it for you. Better to be safe then sorry.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
i believe what ^he said is true. but ruby tubes are rebranded, so they could be any brand tube.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i believe what ^he said is true. but ruby tubes are rebranded, so they could be any brand tube.

What, like they just take sovteks or tung sols or whatever at random and rebrand them? I mean if they're consistently rebranding the same tubes then it shouldn't be a problem should it?
yeah, basically they bulk order whatever is available (usually sovteks, dunno about the powertubes) so it has the ability to change. chances are it's the same, but just to be safe and get the most out of them, you should have it biased anyway.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

That's terrible...So If I bought some Ruby tubes and liked them, and I bought another set then that set might be completely different...what a crap way to do business.

OK, so I'm gonna have to pay to get it re-biased then. If I'm gonna pay, I may as well get it re-biased to something that I can stick with and not bother re-biasing again; I don't want to have to pay to get my amp re-biased every time I change tubes.

Any ideas on some power tubes (6L6GCs)? Something consistent, not re-branded crap.
Get awayfrom the rubys and put some decent tubes in it. That way you can order the same tubes anytime you need to. Usually anytime I replace the power tubes I bias my amp. A properly biased amp will save on the life of the tubes and make the amp sound better.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
^^ haha, yeah i know, but n00bz like the names of groove tubes and ruby tubes

but seriously, it depends what sound your after. check out the tubes sticky, it's got a lot of info and help in there. i haven't tried any variations of tubes yet.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by modernp
Get awayfrom the rubys and put some decent tubes in it. That way you can order the same tubes anytime you need to. Usually anytime I replace the power tubes I bias my amp. A properly biased amp will save on the life of the tubes and make the amp sound better.

Exactly my thinking. Any suggestions? I play shred/metal if that's a factor.

Edit: Is it hard to learn to bias your own amp?

Edit2: ^I have read the sticky, but those tubes...well apart from Tung Sols on Thomann, I can't find them anywhere! Where do you get them?

Edit3: Oh and Thomann have Sovteks coming out of their ears, but I gather that's not what I want.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 25, 2008,
Tube depot is a great place to start. They really know there stuff and will answer all your questions. They make bias probes that are quite easy to use. If you don't feel comtfortable doing it don't. Valve amps can kill.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Try some JJ 6L6 tubes.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Try some JJ 6L6 tubes.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.