well, because i have personally never actually played a 50s or 60s strat, i cant really tell you the differences is their sound. I could tell you the difference in the tones of players i listen to that use 50s or 60s strats, however they all play different guitars/amps/effects and stuff.
so, is there anyone here that can tell me, sonically speaking, most of the differences between the stereotypical 50s strat pickup sound and 60s sound. im wondering because im not sure if i want to buy 50s voiced pickups or 60s voiced pickups.
thanks alot everyone.
I have owned several strats the one I play now is a Tom Anderson. I personally never cared for the sound of the older strats. A little high endy but with a beautiful bell tone. If your playing rock I would go for a newer strat with newer pickups. The lindy fralins I have in my mexi strat are stellar. Go with what your ear hears, tho you might like the older sound.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Look into Rockmonkey pickups, a guy called CorduroyEW on these forums makes them. The smooth groove ones use formvar, which was used on 50s and 60s Strat pickups.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
im not asking what company to buy my pickups from, although i appreciate the help everyone.
im actually looking for someone to describe what a "50s" pickups sounds like. i.e. warmer than 60s, less mids, more treble. etc. (whatever it may be) the same with a "60s" pickup.
thanks guys
A '59 is gonna be lower output than a '62, and therefore janglier, treblier, less warm. The '62 is gonna have more of those things but it will only come from the formvar wire that was used on single coil pickups at the time, as later on most every company moved to PE or Poly wire, which is different. As rhcpfreak says, the only company I know of that makes Formvar pickups nowadays is rockmonkeyguitars.com, drop him an email or check his website, he knows his way around pickups.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
To me, 50s style strats have more highs and more bite whereas 60s strats sound sweeter and have that (well at least to me) elusive 'something'. I can't really describe it, it's a certain way how the highs unfold I think. Check Hendrix, especially earlier recordings, he mostly gets it in spades A rosewood fretboard strat fitted with Fender Custom Shop '69s has it too provided it's a good guitar to begin with. I'd prefer a 50s strat for blues I guess because of that bite and also some more twang on the bass strings.

This difference isn't just caused by the pickups but also by the fretboard material.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
guys, thats aweosme. thank you so much. so if im looking for the warmest of the two eras, would the early 60's be the era to look at, as opposed to the 50s?
thanks again for the help. i knew eventually someone would have the info i needed.
Early 60s probably. They use the formvar wire which gives them a smooth, warm tone and are a bit warmer than the 50s ones so that's probably the best bet. The '64 and onwards pickups used Plain Enamel wire, which gives a more modern, more raw tone and so you need pre-'64 style pups. All the modern Fender pups use Poly wire which is like Plain Enamel but yet more modern, and so don't give the true vintage tone that formvar wire pickups give.

^^ And there is definitely a pickup difference Lauke
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by chea_man
guys, thats aweosme. thank you so much. so if im looking for the warmest of the two eras, would the early 60's be the era to look at, as opposed to the 50s?

If by "warmest" you mean fuller tone from treble through bass, the 60's are probably your pick up. Try em both out somewhere to see, but 60's have more sound across the entire spectrum.
Quote by MrCarrot
^^ And there is definitely a pickup difference Lauke

I know
But the difference is most distinct with the corresponding fretboard woods calculated in Maple yields a much brighter tone than rosewood which adds a lot to the brightness of the 50s style pickup. A pickup can't pick up what's not there eh?
But there is quite a difference regardless of wood nonetheless
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
ok great guys, thanks.
ive looking every where for like a chart that shows the sound spectrum of different eras of strats. i doubt anyone could help me with this,but i might as well ask, does anyoe have one? thanks.