Alright since my last thread was lock for reasons I dont know (apparently i was being mean which i wasent.) Alright lets try this again guys. Price range is 700 - 1000 or so. Know of any amps that can get a nice bassy tone? Like John Myung (Dream Theater) or John Deacon. (Queen) I know two very diffrent bass players. Help will be thanked. (Bassy tone meaning Low Mid and Bass all the way and High Mid and Treble turned all the way down.)
well, getting the bassy tone you want will be more to do with how you EQ the amp. Larger cabs will give you a better low end reponse as well. So look at 15" cabs, or 12s if you want a tad more high end.

However, turning all the high mids and trebles won't help you cut through well. John Myung certainly doesn't turn his down.

Oh, and I read the original thread, and you were being a bit of a bitch, just throwing that out there.
im hooked on Trace Eliot realy want one of those myself.
SWR also makes great amps
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, getting the bassy tone you want will be more to do with how you EQ the amp. Larger cabs will give you a better low end reponse as well. So look at 15" cabs, or 12s if you want a tad more high end.

However, turning all the high mids and trebles won't help you cut through well. John Myung certainly doesn't turn his down.

Oh, and I read the original thread, and you were being a bit of a bitch, just throwing that out there.

Well thanks. But I wasent. It might of sounded mean. But I definatly wasent trying too. Just the way I talk. Sorry if I upset anyone. Again didnt mean to sound mean. Just the way I talk.
The two players your describing have just the opposite of the tone youre describing. I beleive they have their highs/trebles a LITTLE more than 0.

For the tone youre after just stuff a blanket in your amp, or Q-Tips in your ears/
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
The two players your describing have just the opposite of the tone youre describing. I beleive they have their highs/trebles a LITTLE more than 0.

For the tone youre after just stuff a blanket in your amp, or Q-Tips in your ears/

Dont really get what your saying... They have kinda similer tones. But eh... thanks.
Since you are close to NYC, you may want to take a day trip and your budget and Delerium's advice and spend the day in the City in midtown trying out various amps. Since you are in Fairfield, its not that far of a trip. There are a tonne of good options that price range, but they have tonal differences. But what I hear is different that what you might hear. I agree with Joe, the tone I hear with both those bass players are vastly different.

Read the EQ section of the FAQ and then armed with the advice in this thread go forth and try some combos and head/cabs.
Quote by anarkee
Since you are close to NYC, you may want to take a day trip and your budget and Delerium's advice and spend the day in the City in midtown trying out various amps. Since you are in Fairfield, its not that far of a trip. There are a tonne of good options that price range, but they have tonal differences. But what I hear is different that what you might hear. I agree with Joe, the tone I hear with both those bass players are vastly different.

Read the EQ section of the FAQ and then armed with the advice in this thread go forth and try some combos and head/cabs.

Im gonna definatly try and do that one day. Plus im still experimenting with tones and stuff. Do you know how to get a similer tone to John Deacon or John Myung? There my favorite bass players and I love there tones. But I cant seem to get a good tone out of my amp. (thats the main reason I want to upgrade) Thanks for the advice.
Get any amp with a Graphic EQ and it'll help you more towards the tone you need.
Obviously a higher range Ampeg/SWR/Markbass will help you even more.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I went and looked at your profile, are you trying to do this with your Rumble 60. One the issues I've had with that particular amp is that it can be a bit tonally dead. But sometimes half the challenge is trying to get a decent tone out of less than ideal situations, lol.

Read the EQ section in the FAQ as well as theFitz's blog, and work through the process with your Rumble. Also take another pass at listening to both Myung and Deacon. There are significant differences in their tone and hearing those differences will also help you to be able to tweak your present and future equipment to get just the tone you desire.
tube amps are good for full deep tones but they are higher maintenance(having to replacetubes and all) but some solid states have a good deep tone to. remember that when you're playing with a band your tone will be more bassy because of the way it mixes with the other instruments. i like a deep tone and i liked the ashdowns i played from the electric blue series. check em out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
yup that's right it takes 1/2 secondfor tuebs to make a sound...and i bet no funk legend ever played through tubes either. the response thingjust means you don't get the sudden attack of the note as far as i can tell.it's sounds smoother and warmer. i own a tube amp and i admit it's a preference thing but i can't imagine prefering ss. sorry delirium i kept the rant small.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Granted John Deacon went through a few bass styles, as did John Myung, however, they've both been know to most recently (or near the end of his playing career in the case of John Deacon) play Ernie Ball basses - which really give a certain tone. Much of that tone comes from the instrument, not the amp.

However, call me crazy - John Myung's tone never impressed me and sounded very, very flat EQ to me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by anarkee
I went and looked at your profile, are you trying to do this with your Rumble 60. One the issues I've had with that particular amp is that it can be a bit tonally dead. But sometimes half the challenge is trying to get a decent tone out of less than ideal situations, lol.

Read the EQ section in the FAQ as well as theFitz's blog, and work through the process with your Rumble. Also take another pass at listening to both Myung and Deacon. There are significant differences in their tone and hearing those differences will also help you to be able to tweak your present and future equipment to get just the tone you desire.

I did that. and I got a half decent bass tone for right now. Good mix beetween high mid, treble and bass. And yeah I definatly realized the diffrences. Again. Thanks for all your help man. Youve been a huge help.
Just want to say. Thank you all for the help. I now have alot of options to test out. thanks everyone!
Look into Carvin too. I'm REALLY surprised no one has mentioned them yet.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You listed pros, I listed cons. Is there a problem with that at all? One of the reasons the solid state amp was created was because of the advent of slap bass. It's a harsh technique that could damage the tubes.

i listed pros on tubes and made an ss suggestion as i imagine price would be and issue there. there was no offence meant i just am bothered by the whole slower response thing that's all. no offence meant no offence given.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by thefitz
Granted John Deacon went through a few bass styles, as did John Myung, however, they've both been know to most recently (or near the end of his playing career in the case of John Deacon) play Ernie Ball basses - which really give a certain tone. Much of that tone comes from the instrument, not the amp.

I'm gonna stick with John Deacon because he's the guy I know some stuff about. He used a Stingray for a few songs (Another One Bites the Dust), but for me, his tone is a P bass tone. He loved himself some Motown James Jamerson, so his tone is similar to that. I don't know what amp he used, but I would guess he used Ampeg. Though I did read somewhere he used Acoustic amps. Anyway, I'm not sure. For him, you want some tasteful mids. None of the muddy or honky stuff. Some treble, but not tons. A lot of his tone came from his bass, so you won't get his sound without a P-bass.
Quote by FenderKid87
Look into Carvin too. I'm REALLY surprised no one has mentioned them yet.

Thats because Jazz_rock nor Fitz has posted yet.
TS: I would definitely look as solid state amps and something with a graphic EQ. This way the amp is transparent and you can mold the some any way you want. with your price range (700-1000) you will be hard pressed to find a bad sounding amp. If you want deep sounding bass, get a 115 cab, but the beauty of separate cabs is that you can add a 210/410 on later if you want more top end.