I'm a self taught guitarist and i've had some really wank equipment so i've never bought a decent amp or know anything about them really expect as far as i like the sound of this guitar and not that one. I wanted to get some opinions on the best half stack for around £600. I want something thats has a good zeppelin/deep purple rock sound and a good clean sound coz I play in a cover band to pay some bills as well as other projects so i need a certain amount of versatility but not to the extent where i get just a lot of mediocore sounds rather than a couple of really good ones. I thought the peavey valveking 100w head and matching cab looked good for £470 but i wondred if people though there might be something better. All you're help is appreciated.

I play a jackson dk2m if that helps but i'm changing to a stagg when i can afford it. Just kidding changing to a gibson.

Thanks
VK won't be really good for what you are doing. UK guy? Laney. A GH50L half stack would be good. That or just a VC30 combo. Those will nail the tones you are talking about.
a great combo is better than a mediocre halfstack any day. i havent any personal experience with the valveking, but it kinda sounds like a mid level tube amp.

id check out maybe a marshall jcm800 combo, some kinda orange or hiwatt amps for your sound....vintage classic rock im assuming?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
You could get that VK head you want but also get a different and much better cab for it. People usually relate the VK with bad tone because of the **** speakers peavey are using. Try a 2x12 with some celestions and you'll hear a whole world of difference.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
DONT GET A TUBE HALF STACK UNLESS YOU PLAY IN ARENAS

have you ever played a tube amp dude?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

^ thats the dumbest response ive ever hear.....dont buy a tube unless you play arenas....MY ASS, Get a tube amp if you want REAL tone like almost all bands use.. Tube is the way to go, and i dont care HOW loud you play the response in a closed backed 212 or 412 can NOT be matched by a open backed 112 or 212 combo.
"A Sh0t To The EaR"
Amps-Laney GH100L @50watts
Bugera 6262 @120watts
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Behringer 412H
Guitars-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85 T-O-M
Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition EMG ZW set
Pedals-MXR WyldeWah>MXR WyldeOD>MXR Chorus
Quote by LaneyMan
^ thats the dumbest response ive ever hear.....dont buy a tube unless you play arenas....MY ASS, Get a tube amp if you want REAL tone like almost all bands use.. Tube is the way to go, and i dont care HOW loud you play the response in a closed backed 212 or 412 can NOT be matched by a open backed 112 or 212 combo.

1st of all i said "halfstack". I have a tube amp myself.

My friend has a half stack JCM which I play a lot. I cannot get that pure tube town without going deaf. IMO a friggin 100 watt tube amp is a huge overkill

EDIT: or you can get an attentuator.....?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

i dont get the whole "pure tube tone" it sounds "tube" at any volume, its just the way the tube reacts as its turned up, for me it has a differant feel and a slightly differant tone. but yes you did say half stack, sorry i jumped a bit.
"A Sh0t To The EaR"
Amps-Laney GH100L @50watts
Bugera 6262 @120watts
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Behringer 412H
Guitars-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85 T-O-M
Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition EMG ZW set
Pedals-MXR WyldeWah>MXR WyldeOD>MXR Chorus
An Orange Rocker 30 combo
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
An Orange Rocker 30 combo

And thus, the thread is over
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I was gunna suggest Orange Rocker 30 combo....damn mark for beating me.

So I guess this is another +1 on the orange combo, it will cover all the sort of sounds your after and more, and its tone is orgasmic.