hey i just picked up a five string bass for my cousin and when i try to tune the bottom string, it feels like it has stripped out. it turns to a point then makes a popping noise and loosens. is it a bad tuner?
if you'd believe me i'd tell you everything
maybe the stuff on the outside has stripped from the metal underneath of the string i dunno.
maybe u shoulp post a pic, cuz i got a little lost
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
well it's like i'm tuning it up, it starts to tighten, then makes a popping noise and detunes a tad. when i get to that point again, it does it over again.
i don't know if this will do anything but here is a picture
you need a new tuner, the tension in the current one caused by the string is pulling it so hard it's stripped the gear just enough to slip
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
oh okay. i'm not too pissed because this was a great deal for the bass in the first place.
can you recommend any place i can get some good gold bass tuners?
if you're in europe you can get warwick tuners for like £5 each off of thomann
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
good advice Dan! if it's an open back tuner(you can see the gears), check for broken teeth on the drive gear, if there are none missing or damaged, then the worm gear is stripped. you could try removing the string, and turn the tuning peg 180 degrees, and re-install the string. if the drive gear is damaged only in one area, it may hold tune if your not at the damaged spot. you might also be able to tighten the screw, that holds the gear. if that doesn't work, replace the tuner.

drive gear = the wheel shaped gear attached to the tuner pegs.
worm gear = the "screw" part attached to the tuning key.
these are probably not proper terms, but thats what i call them.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 25, 2008,
What are the chances the string core is broken and the winding is coming undone?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
What are the chances the string core is broken and the winding is coming undone?

damn! i should have thought of that! perhaps new strings?
Quote by thefitz

sorry fitzy but i've had both problems and if the core of a string broke it wouldn't tune then drop repeatedly, the string would just get longer and longer as the winding seperated with each turn. it wouldn't hold any amount of tension
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
i'm pretty postivie it's the tuner. we bought new stings for it today but i won't put them on until i get new tuners