I hope I can explain this properly.

I'm really working hard on learning to play blues. I know my pentatonic (major and minor ) and blues scales pretty well up and down the neck. My question is this. If I'm playing 12 bar blues in the key of A, for instance, and I'm trying to solo in the first four bars should be playing the solo part from the A scale? For instance do I start with an A note (for example D string 7th fret) ? or can I play the notes in the D scale and E Scale and still make it work?

Then when I move to the D chord do I play only in the D scale or can I play in the D scale A scale or E scale.

Do you understand what I mean?
Typically in the blues you will stick to the parent key and use that scale throughout so in your example in the key of A , you would play the A blues or Minor Pentatonic the whole time. However, you can step outside of this as in music rules are ment to be broken, (as long as it gets the result you want, however others may not enjoy you soloing in C# when the progression is in Bb, no matter how cool it sounds to you) but in the blues sticking to the scale of the first chord is the standard.
Last edited by MrSnugglewuffle at Mar 25, 2008,
Just jam around and see for yourself. You may like the sound of changing each scale with each chord progression, but the majority of players use the one scale throughout all the changes. But as MrSnugglewuffle (how do I take you seriously, sorry mate!) pointed out, break the rules as YOU see fit and if they sound good to you, then you have succeded.