hallo,

most videos i see online show the player using their arm to strum, and not just their wrist. i find myself being more comfortable using my wrist. i've tried using my arm but it's hard to be accurate on which strings i'm trying to strm. should i get out of this comfort zone and try to adapt to using my arm?
i believe that using your wrist will give you carpal tunnel or other wrist complications, so just to be on the safe side...i'd use my arm...don't quote me on this though
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Wrist is much more accurate. In fact, it's what you should be doing. The arm thing is mainly just for show, like if someone's doing only power chords and wants to look cooler ( *cough*Billie Joe sucks*cough* ).

If you want to use your arm, it's perfectly fine. However, I tend to see it as more of a stage move than a technique. If you feel up to practicing it, it could be beneficial, but if it means less accuracy, don't do it. Just hit the notes right, if you don't look as flashy, whatever.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
no i'm quite sure that the wrist should be loose, but you use the muscles in your forearm, like your elbow moves, not your entire arm, no stupid windmill or that kinda crap...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Yea, you should use your forearm to strum 4 or more strings and the wrist for 3 or less....that's my rule at least....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
DONT. USE. YOUR. ARM. Ignore what other people are saying, move your arm as little as possible, your arm will always be rotating a bit as you strum with your wrist (just because of anatomy), but it shouldnt be moving back and forth. Not only is using your wrist more accurate and speedy but you also are liable to injure tendons in your arm if you try and use your elbow as a pivot point for your strum, especially if you start playing at high speeds. If you stretch your back and wrists before, while, and after you play, and take breaks, you dont have to worry about carpal tunnel.
Just keep doing what your were doing.
If you ever really want to know if you should use your arm, look at Sheryl Crow videos and note how retarded her strumming looks, then watch Tony Rice, and notice how his sound kicks her ass.

Theoretically, it really shouldn't be mostly your elbow OR your wrist. Most of your strumming should come by twisting your forearm. Your wrist itself AND your elbow itself reallly shouldn't flex much on a regular basis. By twisting your forearm and bending your wrist at an angle, you are making your pick travel over all of the strings much smoother with much less effort with much more quickness with much less joint problems.
Using your wrist and smaller movements is good for lead and solo, but when you're playing chords, strum with your whole arm, from the elbow down to avoid getting carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis.
Quote by Chris_Parker
Wrist is much more accurate. In fact, it's what you should be doing. The arm thing is mainly just for show, like if someone's doing only power chords and wants to look cooler ( *cough*Billie Joe sucks*cough* ).

If you want to use your arm, it's perfectly fine. However, I tend to see it as more of a stage move than a technique. If you feel up to practicing it, it could be beneficial, but if it means less accuracy, don't do it. Just hit the notes right, if you don't look as flashy, whatever.

+1

Its for looks. I saw the band all time low play they used all arm cause it was power chords. Then i saw chiodos and they played some crazy music with their wrist.
So just play with wrist.
Quote by chayes
when you're playing chords, strum with your whole arm, from the elbow down to avoid getting carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis.

How is twisting your forearm going to give you carpal tunnel? You don't get carpal tunnel from flexing your wrist anyway, you get carpal tunnel when you flex your fingers over and over while your wrist is bent.
do what ever feels right, every uitarist is different, compare pete towwnsend to gilmour to see what i meen. personally i alternate depending on the sound/style i want. i usually do casual strumming with a flexible wrist and light forarm movement because that feels write but for a climax, like the instrumental on time of ur life or if im doing an electric piece i often throw my whole arm into it to give better show and stronger sound, anyway just use both