note: i was told this is the right thread, so ive moved it. if its not, just gimme a shout, i'll move it when i get a chance

right, i'd like to write good songs, as i think everyone in this forum can appreciate. however, i dont really know what im doing, i find it hard to just make a backing to a song that doesn't exist because i dont know what it should sound like, and i struggle when writing lyrics first, because if it doesn't have a backing, then what is the rhythm? also when i write anything it sounds very cheesy. you know, go for hardcore much feeling type stuff, but instead of sounding like layla, its a bit more abba. and thats not good.

so what i thought id do is, get the lyrics to a song ive never heard, and then using the lyrics i'll try and find a natural rhythm in the words and write a backing behind it. then, hopefully from there, i can apply this to writing songs. is this a good idea, or am i just making my life overly difficult for no apparent reason?

if its a decent idea, then i could do with some suggestions, im into a lot of stuff from the 70's to early 90's hair metal/ classic rock sort of stuff and i listen to a lot of blues. so if we avoid that genre, then im unlikely to have heard the song and then i can make a song without being biased.

any plans?
that's actually a really cool idea, i don't have any lyrics for you but you could just find a random word and google it with the word lyrics next to it.
This sounds a little like a technique I was told about by a friend when we first started writing, called Ghost writing. This is where you listen to a song and write your own lyrics to the melody. At first it can be frustrating, but once you get going, you notice yourself making subtle changes to your work and eventually the melody is completely different to that of the song you were writing it too.

Hope that helps man.
I write a lot of stuff to the tune of other songs, and it actually helps me find a flow. Later on, I change the music and melody of the vocals, and then it doesn't even sound remotely close. It's an interesting way to write things.
when it comes to writing lyrics try to remember two things. keep it real, and keep it close to your heart. the farther you stray from that, the harder it becomes to sell. a great songwriter you may have heard of, kris kristoferson, said it best when he said "do you suppose a man has to be a miserable s.o.b. his whole life just to write a good song every now and then". i would have to say yes he does

for example: eminem had a lot to write about when he was poor and just trying survive, but once you have a fat bank account and an address on ez street it seems to kill the inspiration and you have to look to outside help.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
This sounds a little like a technique I was told about by a friend when we first started writing, called Ghost writing. This is where you listen to a song and write your own lyrics to the melody. At first it can be frustrating, but once you get going, you notice yourself making subtle changes to your work and eventually the melody is completely different to that of the song you were writing it too.

Hope that helps man.

I used to do that too. It's a good exercise for people that are just starting to write lyrics.