How long do you think it would take before I would be able to just look at a piece of music and be able to read it and play it right off. How long did it take some of you guys? And what should I do to practice it
uh well it took me a while. but you get the hang of it with a lot of practice. sheet music is harder to learn. but it advances you like a mo-fo.
Well I started teaching myself the theory of music, like quavers and 16th notes about a year ago. I know all that, but I still can't read notes yet, thats something I think will take longer. I might get a few lessons to do it, I'm not sure yet. It shouldn't take you long to know it if you get lessons, but I think to read along and play it takes a long time, I couldn't really say that for sure. I bet someone will correct me there...
ive never attempted to learn standard notation until about 7 months ago when i started playing trumpet and baritone. i was able to sight read well after about 5 months of playing but i still cant sight read for guitar....only trumpet, baritone, and bass guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by Metabolic575
you can't just look at something and be able to play it,
unless its an easy piece.

what? so like.. people that play piano or trumpet can do that but you can't do that for guitar? that doesn't make much sense
In my school they teach/make you to read in 2 weeks and learn to write all major/minor scales in 2 months. Then if you want to pick up a piece and play it on your instrument as you go through it..... it take a lot. And whoever says he/she can do it with ANY piece is a big fat liar.

If you studied music, teachers will tell you that musicians MUST eye ball the piece, find complicated rhythms or big leaps (of notes) and stuff like that. Being able to read music on the spot as if it was a book will do you more bad than good.
Quote by Metabolic575

huge lie dont listen to him. it does take a long time, I have been doing it for half a year and can read the notes ok, but I cant put my finger on the board fast...so it takes me a while...I think in like 10 more years Ill be set, lol. but I know people that can sight read, thats what its called, where they never saw a piece of music and can read and play them at the same time..the thing is is that you are supposed to read ahead...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
hmm well I play guitar at a church in the morning and the pianist can always play it right off the bat. So how do i play a long with her if we haven't practiced the song. Just use scales and don't read the music exactly how it is?
Quote by Pabli7o
In my school they teach/make you to read in 2 weeks and learn to write all major/minor scales in 2 months. Then if you want to pick up a piece and play it on your instrument as you go through it..... it take a lot. And whoever says he/she can do it with ANY piece is a big fat liar.

If you studied music, teachers will tell you that musicians MUST eye ball the piece, find complicated rhythms or big leaps (of notes) and stuff like that. Being able to read music on the spot as if it was a book will do you more bad than good.

I don't want to seem argumentative, I'm just wondering, how did you come to the conclusion that reading on the spot is actually bad for your musical performance?

I also agree, people who say, "Yeah I read music straight from the page, any piece at all." - Liars...or prodigy's!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I don't want to seem argumentative, I'm just wondering, how did you come to the conclusion that reading on the spot is actually bad for your musical performance?

I also agree, people who say, "Yeah I read music straight from the page, any piece at all." - Liars...or prodigy's!

No, it's ok i dont mind.
I got it from experience. I've only been reading music for the past 4 years of college (bands, ensamble/chamber groups and of course the musicianship lab class) and there are spots we like to call "lion's pit" which are those odd note leaps and minor changes in the rhythm that throws you off and puts you on your ass on the floor. If you're doing it just because....go ahead...its fun. But if you are playing in a orchestra/band or sight singing (in a small group) you will fall into the lions pit and take everyone around you with you. True story, not a myth.

Sorry i didn't further explained myself.
Quote by Pabli7o
No, it's ok i dont mind.
I got it from experience. I've only been reading music for the past 4 years of college (bands, ensamble/chamber groups and of course the musicianship lab class) and there are spots we like to call "lion's pit" which are those odd note leaps and minor changes in the rhythm that throws you off and puts you on your ass on the floor. If you're doing it just because....go ahead...its fun. But if you are playing in a orchestra/band or sight singing (in a small group) you will fall into the lions pit and take everyone around you with you. True story, not a myth.

Sorry i didn't further explained myself.

but if you could read good enough then you will just play the notes that are on the paper.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
It takes a lot of practice, I've been learning for a few months, and I can read and play pretty easy songs
HI
I played sax for nine years at school, that's where I learned to read music. As applied to guitar, I can play simple songs in first position sight reading the notes. I plan on learning 5th position as well at some point. But truth be told, when learning guitar songs I glance over the tab for finger positions and once I get comfortable with what positions the songs are played, I look over the music to get a sense of the rhythm and melody. There's no way that I can look at a clump of notes and know what chord it is instantly, but the way guitar music is written, it's not really necessary.
Quote by Metabolic575

Dooders, I can sight read master solos on tuba and only make a handful of mistakes. Its not hard, you just need to practice sight reading a lot.
Quote by fifer
but if you could read good enough then you will just play the notes that are on the paper.

Yes, you are right. but im not going to explain it again. Get with the program.
Quote by ksmash5
How long do you think it would take before I would be able to just look at a piece of music and be able to read it and play it right off. How long did it take some of you guys? And what should I do to practice it
For me it took one year to be able to sight read and I'm just now being able to do it on my own.

But it can be different for each of us.

Some may learn it faster then others.

And with reading music you really don't need a metronome since the timing is right in the song/piece.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
And with reading music you really don't need a metronome since the timing is right in the song/piece.

I hope you are not serious.
Quote by Pabli7o
I hope you are not serious.
Yeah I am I didn't know what a rest was before I started playing, I didn't know what a whole note was verse a quarter note. and so on.

guess that makes me slow music reader, I really don't care what you people think I can read music when you people can only read tabs.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
Yeah I am I didn't know what a rest was before I started playing, I didn't know what a whole note was verse a quarter note. and so on.

guess that makes me slow music reader, I really don't care what you people think I can read music when you people can only read tabs.

Metronomes are used not to recognize leaps and spaces in the rythme, they are used to help you build muscle memory in your picking hands and fretting hands. I don't use a metronome personally, I use other ways of building timing: I use PowerTab as both a means to learn how to read music, which does help with timing as you pointed out, I play along with the midi playback, and thus keeping in time, and finally, I jam with a drummer and I AM a drummer myself.
But I'm afraid I don't agree with your statement about music theory, it doesn't magical give you the ability to play in time, it just gives you a backdrop for you to practise from. One of many backdrops availible. Perfect timing originates from many different sources.
Well I guess you are doing it wrong. A metronome will never hurt you and it's very helpful to practice ANYTHING related to music.

Find what Allegro, Allegro moderato, Allegretto, Moderato, Andantino are and their value in BPM. I heard a guy called...mmm.. Beethoven used one of those ridiculous good for nothing metronomes as a guide for his musicians.

Notes value =/= Tempo
+1

as far as I see it, sight reading is more of a skill that you acquire over time that helps you learn a piece quickly. It will not allow you to play any piece instantly.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by ksmash5
hmm well I play guitar at a church in the morning and the pianist can always play it right off the bat. So how do i play a long with her if we haven't practiced the song. Just use scales and don't read the music exactly how it is?

You don't want to be playing the same thing that the piano lady does anyway. You should be able to get the chords, then do something with that.

Sheet music is much easier on the piano, or even most any other instrument such as a saxophone or trumpet, because there is a 1:1 relationship with the notes vs. which key to press or whatever. This is why they can read it on the fly. With a guitar, you can play a particular note one way, but you can also go one string down and 5 frets down and it's the exact same note. Which one you hit really depends on what is coming up, what your fingers are doing at the time, and other things along those lines. This is why it is much harder to read sheet music on the fly, you almost have to be a musical genious to be able to play it on the fly, because you really need to play it through and figure some of these things out first. Pianos don't have that problem. Plus, a piano is just much easier to play and sound great. Guitar is much harder. If I had not gotten to the point that I was playing 8th level classical pieces, I couldn't say that.
Quote by Pabli7o
Yes, you are right. but im not going to explain it again. Get with the program.

well then get with the program, then if you can sight read good enough then it isnt bad.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
To get good at sight reading, which is what that is, take a look at a whole bunch of songs you could get from a preliminary guitar book or something. don't practice them but just read through them then play them. Take a bit each day and slowly work up to harder sight reading songs.

its normal for a guitarist be much better at playing than sight reading, guitar is hard to read because you can play everything in so many positions... you have to look at the highest note and move the song to that position so you don't have to make big jumps accross freets
Well i played Eb alto saxophone in band for three years, so i had already learned how to read music. Try www.emusictheory.com it has some good drills to make you more familiar with identifying notes on the staff

If you want, you could buy some of those melbay or hal leonard graded books. I did that for awhile, and I was doing decently. But just remember though, that notes on a guitar often occur at dfferent positions of the fretboard. This makes things more difficult than it needs to be. Standard notation was made with keyboard instruments in mind not our beloved guitar
Last edited by silvadolla at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
You don't want to be playing the same thing that the piano lady does anyway. You should be able to get the chords, then do something with that.

Sheet music is much easier on the piano, or even most any other instrument such as a saxophone or trumpet, because there is a 1:1 relationship with the notes vs. which key to press or whatever. This is why they can read it on the fly. With a guitar, you can play a particular note one way, but you can also go one string down and 5 frets down and it's the exact same note. Which one you hit really depends on what is coming up, what your fingers are doing at the time, and other things along those lines. This is why it is much harder to read sheet music on the fly, you almost have to be a musical genious to be able to play it on the fly, because you really need to play it through and figure some of these things out first. Pianos don't have that problem. Plus, a piano is just much easier to play and sound great. Guitar is much harder. If I had not gotten to the point that I was playing 8th level classical pieces, I couldn't say that.

ok thank's you were by far the most helpful.. instead of just arguing lol. Yeah I ussually just play chords but I would like to be able to throw a few riffs in once in a while. Just use scales a suppose right?

also I've only played rythm guitar. Does the lead guitar just know what to play by scales then? if you can't sight read music for guitar.
Quote by CortFan1

Am I the only one who thought that it was a funny comment? Seriously... reading sheet music makes your rhythm perfect.
Quote by Metabolic575

i sight read all the time on my trumpet.. and its not just easy pieces. guitar is a different story.. but i havent been playing guitar as long.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212