Hello All,

As the final project for my contemporary literature class, we are assigned to write a "magazine article" of sorts, expressing an opinion. I have chosen the topic of who is "The Greatest Guitarist" of all time. To do this, I am explaining how each person will have a different answer for every genre of music, and would appreciate if you would take part in a survey.

I ask that you rank who, you believe is the greatest guitar player in each of these genres (if you don't listen to one, you can skip it), and perhaps a sentence explaining why you think that way.

Genres:
Rock n Roll (early)
Rock (mid 1960's-onward)
Blues
Hard Rock/Metal
Progressive
Classical
Jazz

As part of my writing, I will also critique the most recent and well known ranking of guitarists, the Rolling Stone ranking. I ask you to give me your honest opinion on the ranking, and mention a few points that you either agree/disagree with.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time

Thanks for taking part, and I hope you all enjoy this survey.
- Lord Bosch
Too many of my favorite guitarist's don't fit those genres.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Early Rock - Chuck Berry
Rock - Jimmy Page
Blues - Joe Bonamassa
Hard Rock - Nuno Bettencourt
Progressive - Tom Schultz
Classical - Yngwie Malmsteen (he pretty much is a classical guitarist)
Jazz - Wes Montgomery

other genres:
Hair Band: Eddie Van Halen
Thrash: Kirk Hammet
Grunge: Kim Thayil
Instrumental: Gary Hoey
Jam Band: Warren Haynes

EDIT: oh and when I first read that rolling stone article I thought it was complete bull**** upon reading it again the families of everyone who made that list deserves to be killed
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 25, 2008,
the answer to every question, and many others, including most math and science questions is John Petrucci
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Rock n Roll (early): Buddy Holly
Rock (mid 1960's-onward): Thurston Moore
Blues: SRV
Hard Rock/Metal: Jason Becker
Progressive: Alex Lifeson
Classical: Buckethead, yes he plays classical.
Jazz:
666 BRO
Rock n Roll (early) - Chuck Berry
Rock (mid 1960's-onward) - Hendrix
Blues - Eric Clapton
Hard Rock/Metal - Paul Gilbert (if he counts)

I don't really listen to any of the other genres listed though

EDIT: That Rolling Stone list kinda sucks in my opinion, I mean Kurt Cobain is pretty high up but he's not very good at guitar.
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Last edited by halloweenhead at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by COBHC6
the answer to every question, and many others, including most math and science questions is John Petrucci

i was waiting for that
he speaks truth. John Petrucci pwns all other guitarists.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

early Rock n Roll - the dude that did Johnny B. Goode
Rock - Tony Iommi
Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Hard Rock/Metal - dude from Necrophagist/ dude from Nile (Karl somthin')
Progressive - ???
Classical - Steve Vai
Jazz - ???
Last edited by girlscoutcookie at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by girlscoutcookie
early Rock n Roll - Ted Neugent? Gorge Thorogood? (dates unknown)
Rock - Tiny Iommi
Progressive - ???
Classical - Steve Vai
Jazz - ???

The Nuge and george thorogood aint early rock and you couldnt think of a Progressive or jazz guitarist.
Quote by lunaticfringe93
The Nuge and george thorogood aint early rock and you couldnt think of a Progressive or jazz guitarist.

i ll try to think of some, ok at leas i gave my input to help the guy, god no need to be an ass
Early Rock (Do you mean Rockabilly?): Brian Setzer
Rock: Jimmy Page, probably. I don't know, I may edit this later...
Blues: Eric Clapton or B.B. King. Or Both. SRV kills both though.
Hard Rock/Metal: John Petrucci or Dave Mustaine
Progressive: Alex Lifeson
Classical: Yngwie Malmsteen, probably.
Jazz: Wes Montgomery

Generally, I'd recommend that you don't listen to what Rolling Stone says about guitarists. They don't know jack **** about guitars. I'm pretty sure anybody you ask on UG would give you a face palm if you brought them up in a serious guitar-related discussion.Or rape you (metaphorically, unless you're actually into that...).

And glad to help.

EDIT:

Quote by girlscoutcookie
early Rock n Roll - Ted Neugent? Gorge Thorogood? (dates unknown)
Rock - Tiny Iommi
Progressive - ???
Classical - Steve Vai
Jazz - ???

I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Mar 25, 2008,
Genres:
Rock n Roll (early)- Chuck Berry
Rock (mid 1960's-onward)- Mike Sullivan
Blues- Pass. I haven't listened to any blues in well over a year, and can't make a valid opinion.
Hard Rock/Metal- Justin Broadrick
Progressive- Mikael Åkerfeldt
Classical- John Williams
Jazz- Again, same as blues.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Genres:
Rock n Roll (early) - Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, Eddie Cochran, Duane Eddy

Rock (mid 1960's-onward) - Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Mike Bloomfield, Robbie Robertson

Blues - T-Bone Walker, Albert King, B.B King, Albert Collins, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson

Hard Rock/Metal - ________

Progressive - John McLaughlin

Classical - Segovia (?)

Jazz - Eddie Lang, Charlie Christian, Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, Lonnie Johnson
What The F/uck Is This Johnny Ramone At Fu/cking 16 Kurt Cobain At 12 And Jack White At 17 But We Have Angus At 93 Randy Rhoads At 85 And Derek Trucks At 81 This Is A ****/ing Disgrace

EDIT: Holy S/hit Joe Satriani isnt even on here along with gary hoey, paul gilbert steve vai charlie parker, kenny burell, wes montgomery, joe pass, or even Pat Metheney
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 25, 2008,
Rock n Roll (early)-Probably Jimi Hendrix
Rock (mid 1960's-onward)-Brian May
Blues-n/a
Hard Rock/Metal-Dimebag
Progressive-Can you call Tom Morello progressive? Not sure.
Classical-Steve Vai
Jazz-Eric Johnson?
To atone a sin I didn't care for, but a sin that paid my debts
A sin that fed my children and burned my smiles and cigarettes
Quote by lunaticfringe93
What The F/uck Is This Johnny Ramone At Fu/cking 16 Kurt Cobain At 12 And Jack White At 17 But We Have Angus At 93 Randy Rhoads At 85 And Derek Trucks At 81 This Is A ****/ing Disgrace

what's with all the slashes and that list was made in 2003

and as that other guy said don't listen to rolling stone(they had jimmy buffet and hilary duff in that same issue )
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by gilbs73

and as that other guy said don't listen to rolling stone(they had jimmy buffet and hilary duff in that same issue )

they were so the swears wouldnt get starred out
Early Rock: I won't answer, lack of knowledge
Rock: Ritchie Blackmore
Blues: B.B. King
Hard Rock/Metal: Michael Angelo Batio
Progressive: Progressive what? John Petrucci if progressive metal counts, Steve Howe otherwise
Classical: Jason Becker
Jazz: Shawn Lane
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Genres:
Rock n Roll (early) dick dale
Rock (mid 1960's-onward) slash
Blues SRV
Hard Rock/Metal- Tony Iommi
Progressive- dont listen to it
Classical- rodrigo d' gabriella or something to that effect (that means correct me i am retarded)
Jazz- wouldn't know any.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Rock n Roll (early)- Chuck Berry

No further explanation needed.

Rock (mid 1960's-onward)- Kevin Shields

His pioneering use of the tremolo arm, and the distinct sounds he created, will never be replicated again in the way he did it. He formed a genre around his own guitar playing, and reinvigorated the instrument of the guitar all together.

Blues- Leadbelly

So much compassion and variety in the blues he played, and he successfully combined the genre of folk into his songs as well.

Hard Rock/Metal- Tony Iommi

He pioneered the entire genre of metal, and created a sound that no one had ever heard before.

Progressive- David Gilmour

His slow bends and focus on emotion in his guitar playing helped create the atmosphere of some of the greatest music of the 70's.

Jazz- Les Paul

The man had a guitar named after him for a reason....
Hi, how are you?
Quote by gilbs73

Yeah, as I said before (other guy=me ), Rolling Stone is a travesty. It's for people who listen to music because it's on the Top 40, or on MTV (Which is rare, considering they only play music for an hour or two a day... ). They only list this **** of for issues to be sold, not because it's accurate. They give these polls to some God damn retarded, lobotomized inbred baboon of an intern who writes what people in some middle school campus of scene and emo kids who's music has no reason to exist, and expect everyone to agree with them because they're Rolling Stone. Honestly, if you need an example, their idea of the greatest song ever written is "Like a Rolling Stone."

****ing think about it.

/
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Yeah, as I said before (other guy=me ), Rolling Stone is a travesty. It's for people who listen to music because it's on the Top 40, or on MTV (Which is rare, considering they only play music for an hour or two a day... ). They only list this **** of for issues to be sold, not because it's accurate. They give these polls to some God damn retarded, lobotomized inbred baboon of an intern who writes what people in some middle school campus of scene and emo kids who's music has no reason to exist, and expect everyone to agree with them because they're Rolling Stone. Honestly, if you need an example, their idea of the greatest song ever written is "Like a Rolling Stone."

****ing think about it.

/

The list is actually not that bad until the top 10. Just because you haven't heard of half the men on the list doesn't mean it sucks....
Hi, how are you?
Rock (mid 1960's-onward) Clapton- He's just a Rock God.
Blues - B.B. King. I have to say that, I'm from Memphis
Hard Rock/Metal - I wouldn't call this hard rock, but more of a punk artist, Relient K's Matt Hoopes. He's got tons of potential.
Opus Acoustic by Harmony Guitars
Ibanez AEF18 Acoustic Electric
Crate GTD15R

Tophue: Every christian song has the chord progression G, Cadd9 somewhere in the song
Phax: The key of Gsus!!! COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT! haha
Genres:
Rock n Roll (early)-Chuck Berry
Rock (mid 1960's-onward)- James Page
Blues- Stevie Ray Vagun
Hard Rock/Metal- Slash-izle
Progressive - John Perturcci
Classical - Andy John
Jazz - Diango Rjhniheart
Quote by twolostsouls
The list is actually not that bad until the top 10. Just because you haven't heard of half the men on the list doesn't mean it sucks....

Who says I haven't heard of these people? If they think that ****ing Kurt Cobain would even RANK in this, the magazine has to be edited by gophers in a bomb shelter a thousand leagues under the sea...
Quote by Pauldapro
Kurt Cobain wrote amazing songs, that's why he's in the top 100. He is responsible for alternative breaking into the mainstream. This is not about virtuosity.
Hi, how are you?
The answer is Muhammad Suicmez of Necrophagist.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by Hcmanu
So there you have it kids, You're not eating easter eggs, you're eating the parastic-like insides of rabbits. Happy Easter, I've got a corpse to rape!
Rock (mid 1960's-onward)

Jimi Hendrix - He took the electric guitar and modified the techniques of the great blues players of the 30s, 40s, and 50s and utilized them in rock guitar. If not for him, electric guitar may have never broke away from being a rhythm instrument and metamorphosed into the vibrant and colorful instrument it is today in rock music. All in all, Hendrix revolutionized the use of the guitar in modern music.

EDIT:

Category: N/A

Les Paul: I shouldn't have to explain, but I will.

Les Paul is arguably the most influential man in the field of the electric guitar, ever. Not for his music, but for his brilliant invention. Paul invented the electric guitar we know today and, through gibson, designed one of the most popular guitars in the world, the Les Paul (rival only to the Stratocaster and the SG).
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by twolostsouls

Jazz- Les Paul

The man had a guitar named after him for a reason....

Because he designed it!

Rock n Roll (early)-Chuck Berry
Rock (mid 1960's-onward)- Duane Allman
Blues- Muddy Waters
Hard Rock/Metal- Paul Gilbert
Progressive - Mikael Akerfeldt
Classical - John Williams
Jazz - Wes Montgomery
Rock n Roll (early): Chuck Berry (Johnny B Goode speaks for itself)
Rock (mid 1960's-onward): Jimi Hendrix (pushed the instrument to new limits)
Blues: Stevie Ray Vaughan (Most innovative, and passionate blues guitarist I've heard)
Hard Rock/Metal: Tony Iommi (HE SINGLE-HANDEDLY CREATED THE ****ING GENRE)
Progressive: Robert Fripp (Can be amazingly technical and at the same time artsy. Also pushes the guitar to new limits, and comes up with the most original ideas.)
Classical: John Williams
Jazz: Les Paul (had a ****in guitar named after him)
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
To do a proper survey, you must first learn statistics. This survey will be horrendously biased due to convenience sampling.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Chris_Parker
Who says I haven't heard of these people? If they think that ****ing Kurt Cobain would even RANK in this, the magazine has to be edited by gophers in a bomb shelter a thousand leagues under the sea...

If this is a double post,then sorry but stop bashing Kurt Cobain
He's not all about a couple of power chords
He's pretty underated
All you need to know is that John Petrucci kills people with his guitar skills, and that the tone knob on his guitar controls the temperature of the sun.

Speaking of which, I've e-mailed him asking him to turn it up a notch or two, because yesterday it
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I think that the Rolling Stones list is bullsh**. There gonna throw all these no bodys on there and not even put slash on there. And then stick angus and randy at the end and pete townshend in the middle. Pfft. But to help you out:

Genres:
Rock n Roll (early) : Chuck Berry
Rock (mid 1960's-onward) : Jimmy Page
Blues : Robert Johnson
Hard Rock/Metal: Daron Malakian
Rock (early) - Chuck Berry
Rock - Jimmy Page
Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn... maybe B.B. King
Hard Rock/Metal - Slash
Progressive - David Gilmour
Classical - Randy Rhoads (sorry, no help there...)
Jazz - not to big on jazz either

meh... good enough
Quote by J.A.M
On a previous occasion, a middle aged black african man proceeded to remove my betrothed bicycle from my possession.

Quote by silent caution
sex with a pregnant woman? isnt that like putting gas in car you already wrecked?