Well i was going to do 27 frets, and someoen said, well why 27 frets, is that the magic number? and i thought, well no, thats kind of lame, lets be original and do 29 frets.

The guitar is going to be some sort of explorer shape.

It will be a bolt-on. im going to design a neck pocket with an angled heel, and im going to use an explorer template, do some cuts to the body to make it an original-esque design, and extend the inside of the lower horn for upper fret access. the body will be made out of either walnut, or mahogany, with a figured top of some sort, whatever i can get my hands on. ( i now know the owner of tucson lumber in virginia beach, a bout an hour from my house, hes going to stash some highly figured pomelle bubinga for me =]]]])

Depending upon the body wood, i might chamber it, and cut some sound holes in it, that i will design.

I want to do purfling around the edges and inlay something into the fingerboard, probably something simple. Fender-style headstock. Kahler tremolo. Through-neck locking nut. And as for the finish... all tung oil is a probability, because i love that stuff.

any ideas/critiques?
I wouldnt put a fender head stock on an explorer IMO

other than that sounds really nice, cant wait

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
im not sure why 29 frets but also why not. i dont personally like the fender headstock but it might look amazing so who knows. it sounds pretty badass. so hurry up with the badassery
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
holes as in sound holes? bad idea for an explorer.
also maybe a fender headstock wouldnt be so great, but a 6 in line pointy one or a dean style split would look moderately awesome.
MAB has a 29 fret guitar
be original and go 30-35

just leaving some advice =)
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Quote by LP Addict
Well i was going to do 27 frets, and someoen said, well why 27 frets, is that the magic number? and i thought, well no, thats kind of lame, lets be original and do 29 frets.

The guitar is going to be some sort of explorer shape.

It will be a bolt-on. im going to design a neck pocket with an angled heel, and im going to use an explorer template, do some cuts to the body to make it an original-esque design, and extend the inside of the lower horn for upper fret access. the body will be made out of either walnut, or mahogany, with a figured top of some sort, whatever i can get my hands on. ( i now know the owner of tucson lumber in virginia beach, a bout an hour from my house, hes going to stash some highly figured pomelle bubinga for me =]]]])

Depending upon the body wood, i might chamber it, and cut some sound holes in it, that i will design.

I want to do purfling around the edges and inlay something into the fingerboard, probably something simple. Fender-style headstock. Kahler tremolo. Through-neck locking nut. And as for the finish... all tung oil is a probability, because i love that stuff.

any ideas/critiques?

you might not want to chamber it or the neck might be to big and heavy and it won't be balanced
yea, the explorer body wouldn't be so good, but if you make cuts like you said, it might be all right
this sounds like its gonna be orgasmic
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
id personally love to see this get build!!

but id change the fender headstock... and that cut on the xplorer most be reaaaaaaaaally deep to access all the frets... sound incredibly interesting
yeah, i hate doing angled headstocks, but i might have to break down and do it. if i find a single piece of wood thick enough for atleast a 12 degree headstock pitch i will do it, i try to avoid glue joints as much as possible.

i like the idea of smaller sound holes in the body into the chambering. maybe in a shape or something even, no idea on that yet. they wont be like a sound hole, thats stupid. they will be on the upper part of the body, the part towards my chest if i were playing it. just with a drill press probably to make the holes.

the neck pocket will be 3.25 inches into the body on the bass side, 4.75 inches into the body on the treble side, just an idea right now, when the wood is in front of me and more planning takes place, things will likely change.

ill probably just have two humbuckers. one in a middle position, one in a bridge position.

and as for the neck beign too heavy, i wont chamber it that much, maybe not even at all. i will chamber it too make the weight more equal, but the piece of mahogany i have is very very dense, it weighs a ton. never felt mahogany so heavy before.
Last edited by LP Addict at Mar 25, 2008,
Sounds pretty awesome to me. I would definitely do an angled headstock, either a kramer style hockey stick thing or a ESP pointy mofo on there, explorers just look weird with anything else.

What is the scale length going to be? I can hardly fit my fingers into a 24th fret to play the note, I think unless you use an extended scale length then the 25 26 27 28 29 frets might be too small to even play?

You should definitely do some kickass custom inlay though, like that Ormsby gambler guitar only not completely tacky.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this build when you start it. I like that you try to do things differently all the time instead of just building boring clone guitars.
Brings everything I dislike into the one build:

- Fender (I assume you meant Strat/'stangs etc style) headstocks on anything other than strats
- Explorer body shapes
- Large scale neck lengths
- Hollowbodies on anything other than thinline tele's

etc etc.

But you know what, fuqit. It'll probably r00l.

d000der, you know what would be better?

Spalted maple SG, baritone with ebony fretboard, off centre pearl dot inlays, spalt laminate on the headstock, single humbucker, gold hardware.

YEP, RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY.