I know it seems to be a noobish question, but I want to figure out how to use the spare triode in Blues Junior.

Base on my understanding, channel is parallel. In the case of YCV20 and YCV40 (using as reference, what they use is of following:

Input: -->v1a-->"A"
Clean:"A"-->Clean EQ-->v1b--->Power amp
Lead:"A"--->v2a--->Lead EQ--->v2b--->Power amp
Lead with Boost: both channel activate? (Circuit block and schematic seems to indicate as such)
In such case, it seems to use parallel gain stage for maximum. It would also seems to be the standard for many multiple channel amps. Most, however, can only use either-or of the channel, but never both.

While Fender seems to use a "bypass system". In the case of HotrodDeluxe, it's
Input:--->v1a--->v1b-->EQ--->v2a--->"A"
Clean: A--->bypass into Master
Lead: A-->v2b-->Master
In this case, it seems to run a serial gain stage at most.

According to Mesa's webpage and my understanding of the schematic, for Mark I, channel 1 is "4 gain stage cascade", while channel 2 bypassed a triode... so it is also using the serial-bypass system, except in this case, instead of using a switch to by pass, input 2 just feed into the 2nd triode.

So is there any reason why a parallel channel is used over serial channel, aside from allowing seperate channel EQ? Furthermore, how is the sound difference between serial gain stage and parallel gain stages?

(Note: I am only talking about preamp.)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Mar 25, 2008,
all that tech speak and you call it a noob question?

sry i dont have an answer
So... anyone?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
sir, that is not a noob question hehehe

Sorry, I can't help you
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Well, in a cascading gain stage, each tube will overdrive the next tube and gradually cause more dirt.

In parallel, they will both make their own distortion and blend when they reform, I assume this gives a somewhat different overall effect.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.