I'm looking into getting a new compressor. I'm looking for a good Funk/Chili Pepper sound. Price is not a big deal, but I'd rather it be most bang for the buck.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
i hear the line 6 constritor is very good and versatile
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
I like the Dyna Comp reissue a lot, though the only other one I've ever tried is the Boss one. The Dyna Comp is not extremely transparent but the color it adds is nice.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
I hear great things about the Keeley Compressors, never had experience with one though. I played one called the Route 66--it's a combo pedal with OD on one side and the Compressor on the other, and the Compressor was great. The OD wasn't half bad either.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
Uhh...
What does a Compressor do?
Is it similar to a Noise Gate's function?
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Retro-Sonic Comp is great for the classic Ross/Dyna-Comp squish that you hear on a lot of funk records. The RS and the Keeley are both clones of the Ross circuit, the RS being cheaper. I haven't found any difference between the two besides the name.
Quote by iTzMaTT
Uhh...
What does a Compressor do?
Is it similar to a Noise Gate's function?

A compressor adds dynamics. It makes a quiet strum sound loud
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
^ Actually, compressors take away dynamics.

If you pick lightly, the volume you get is leveled with a hard strum, and vice versa.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
I was hunting for a compressor, mostly looking at the MXR ones and a few others in the price range, and ended up getting a good deal on a used Maxon CP101. It's really transparent. I rarely turn it off.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by CaveatLector
^ Actually, compressors take away dynamics.

If you pick lightly, the volume you get is leveled with a hard strum, and vice versa.

I wasn't thinking when I wrote that
Quote by doggy_hat