So i was applying for this college website and it said to pick a major your interested in. I want to be a journalist so i picked that one. My mom eventually saw that i picked this and flipped out saying it was an awful job with no pay and if you have a family you're never home to see them cause you are never there. Does anyone know anyone who is a journalist/photojournalist and do they enjoy their job and make a good living?
ED REED BABY
journalism isnt a great choice tbh, cause theres a lot of people who go into it, and theres only a limited amount of jobs.
Quote by TerpsRHCP
So i was applying for this college website and it said to pick a major your interested in. I want to be a journalist so i picked that one. My mom eventually saw that i picked this and flipped out saying it was an awful job with no pay and if you have a family you're never home to see them cause you are never there. Does anyone know anyone who is a journalist/photojournalist and do they enjoy their job and make a good living?

is your father a journalist? ask him
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
journalists do ok. its like anything else, some do really well, some dont. doing something you like will make you happier than a big paycheck
Quote by MHDrunk
is your father a journalist? ask him

Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
essentially, the undergraduate degree doesn't mean too much...if u want to do something now-a-days, you need to go to graduate school in order to get a respectably paying job. also, the major you choose doesn't mean you HAVE to do what you picked. you can still apply to graduate school in other fields, just as long as you have a taken a core curriculum, have a good work ethic, and good communication skills.

it is also very common to change majors as well. right now im probably switching from pre-med to psych cuz i hate pre-med. good luck in whatever you do.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Many journalists work in an office like any other job and have families and everything.

I have a friend who writes for a local newspaper. He started there as a copy editor, which is basically a proof reader, and eventually got a few columns published about local events he went to. He's now a reporter for the paper full time and has a family. He only travels around the area occasionally, because most interviews are done over the phone or through e-mail.

I mean, sure...if you're a reporter for the New York Times or Rolling Stone or something, you will have to travel for your work. Most people don't work for international publications though - and those that do had to work hard to get there, so any family members would be used to it (and you'd be paid very well too - so they would appreciate it).

Many parents want their kids to be doctors/lawyers because that's what traditionally is viewed as being a "safe" career with good pay. If you're a good writer and enjoy writing about a variety of things, journalism is definitely something to look into.

Unless she's actually going to the classes for you, she should be accepting of whatever you want to major in.
Quote by Dirge Humani
But by his mother's logic, his father would never be home to be asked this question.

yea, but just because he gets divorced, doesn't unmake him the boys father
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
how dare your mom tell you what to do, tell her to get ****ed she cant control your life, my parents werent too happy when i decided to do music at college but i stood firm and theyv accepted it now theyr actually quite happy
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by this&that
journalism isnt a great choice tbh, cause theres a lot of people who go into it, and theres only a limited amount of jobs.

That's the same for everything.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Try maybe looking at a degree that's viewed a bit higher, you don't need a degree in journalism to become a journalist.

One of my friends is one and I'm pretty sure he enjoys his work, his employers paid for him to stay in Belgium for a week not long ago (for work primarily, but they also gave him some spending money). That's the only time I know of him making an extended stay away from home.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

My step-sister is planning on being a journalist.
If you like writing stories, than journalism is a really good job to have, with probably an author on the side.

I personally have found i'm an excellent writer in any field, essay, report, lyrics, short stories, novels, scripts.
But I am so deeply interested in crime scene investigation that i'm going to major in Forensic Science.

So think about that.
Don't pick a major just because you're good at it, really choose something that you feel you could do for a long time as a career.

Careers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jobs
Tell your mom she's wrong.

If she's only just deciding to take an interest in what you want to do for the rest of your life, tell her she's a little late and kick her in the face.