Hey guys, I got a dilemma, so I think I'll trust the think tank/ brain trust of the Pit

I have a GTD15R Amplifier (yeah, I know, I'm cheap) and It's been great for my little acoustic-electric Ibanez, but I occasionally want to blast some tunes over it, but when I use the 3mm jack from my headphone port on my laptop to the 3mm input (so you can play over a CD) I get tons of static. But if I disconnect my computer, my signal is fine. I assume this is an issue over AC and DC, where that port is only wired for DC, and my laptop is AC when plugged in and DC on battery, but I'd like a second opinion

And if anyone has a solution to this problem, part or process, easy or hard, I'd much appreciate it.
Opus Acoustic by Harmony Guitars
Ibanez AEF18 Acoustic Electric
Crate GTD15R

Tophue: Every christian song has the chord progression G, Cadd9 somewhere in the song
Phax: The key of Gsus!!! COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT! haha
No, the Amp is clean otherwise, even when turned up with a really sensitive guitar hooked up. Thanks though.
Crate GTD15R

Tophue: Every christian song has the chord progression G, Cadd9 somewhere in the song
Last edited by horatiogates at Mar 25, 2008,
Well, the first problem is, you're using an amplifier. It's meant to amplify a mono guitar signal, not a mixed stereo track. A cheap set of regular speakers shouldn't be that expensive.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
I don't know there's any electrical reflection going on, but laptops have inverters which invert the DC they receive back into AC to power their TFT screens. Also, when hard drives spin up, their magnetism can be picked up by a guitar's pick ups and you can hear them start and stop, so this could be a problem.
Quote by MustangMan311
I don't know there's any electrical reflection going on, but laptops have inverters which invert the DC they receive back into AC to power their TFT screens. Also, when hard drives spin up, their magnetism can be picked up by a guitar's pick ups and you can hear them start and stop, so this could be a problem.

Yeah, I didn't consider hard drives...but this has nothing to do with pickups, just my computer hooked up to the amp.

and Yeah, speakers aren't that expensive, but it'd be nice to play with the dials on the amp every now and then when I hook it up.

Thanks for all the help guys...
Crate GTD15R

further thought has been given to this problem, and I'm consulted one of my physics professors about it. We might hook up my amp to an oscilloscope and get a readout of the effect AC has, and a way to rectify it, using a three phase rectifying circuit.

YES, it's a lot of trouble to go through for a friggen $100 amp, but who knows? the results of this could wind up one day, years from now, being one of those crappy accessories in the back of a radioshack...
Crate GTD15R