Ive been playing guitar for a little while now and i would always play an open D by baring the top three strings with my first finger and placing my third finger on the third fret.

Ive recently tried to learn it the way most people teach it (with three fingers) and am getting frustrated.

Is it alright if i just stick with the way i play it, or will this restrict me from changing to some other chords quickly?
if you dont let the low e string sound then its ok. if you get used to it then you can do it fast after a while, but for me I can do it faster with the three fingers...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
when i mean barre i mean bar the highest 3 strings (high E, B, G). So im basically playing the chord with two fingers instead of three.
yeah, as long as you play it like this (low to high) x00232 or xx0232 then its ok. if you play like this 000232 then it will sound a little weird..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
imo I think you should do it they way most do it
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Deffinately learn how to play that chord the proper way. After a time, you'll need to transition to different chords from that one, while anchoring certain fingers(keeping them in one place while you change others) and by barring with your forefinger, you won't be able to make a smooth change. Just keep at it, it'll come. Remember to keep your fingertips at a right angle to the fretboard too. This is most important for those close quarters chords where your fingers need to be bunched up like that. Same with A.
Quote by KSmeadsTE80
Ive been playing guitar for a little while now and i would always play an open D by baring the top three strings with my first finger and placing my third finger on the third fret.

Ive recently tried to learn it the way most people teach it (with three fingers) and am getting frustrated.

Is it alright if i just stick with the way i play it, or will this restrict me from changing to some other chords quickly?
The way you're playing it has more advantages than the so-called "proper" way. Moving from there to an F is easier. And a transition from the way you're playing the D to a Dmaj7 is dead-simple, innit?

Still, I'd suggest working on the other fingering. The more ways you can do things, the better off you are, in the long run.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by litelbrown
itll give you a handicap later on. id learn it the other way

in what way exactly?

There's nothing wrong with playing it barred, if anything that's harder and more advanced than the traditional way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The way you're playing it has more advantages than the so-called "proper" way. Moving from there to an F is easier. And a transition from the way you're playing the D to a Dmaj7 is dead-simple, innit?

Still, I'd suggest working on the other fingering. The more ways you can do things, the better off you are, in the long run.

+1

you have an extra free finger for when you add fills between the chords.
Thank you please.