Page 1 of 2
hey guys...
i need some opinions on the death penalty

[x] I think people who take innocent lives, should be killed. Because its better that ONE person die, then for multiple to die because of ONE person.

OR

[ ] I think the death penalty is unfair, and raging killers should only be put in prison for life.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Heidi Klum's gonna be on.

<.<

>.>

I'd slime her...
[x] I think people who take innocent lives, should be killed. Because its better that ONE person die, then for multiple to die because of ONE person.

I wrote a persuasive essay on it a couple weeks back for English. It wasn't very good, but I did give reasons.
You can't, sorry, shouldn't pick a side of an issue because it's the way you feel. You need evidence supporting your claims.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I think no one has the right to decide who lives and who dies. Take the moral high ground.

Also, find Meth's profile and read the blog he has on it.
Who dat?
im against it however i think prisons should actually punish prisoners instead of giving them a free place to live comfortably and hang out with other convicted criminals.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I believe that society should go back to the native american way were if man kills another man the man who killed would have to play the role of the man who was killed such as husband/father, hunter, etc... Damn, they had it so easy back then...
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Capital punishment should be introduced in cases of ; murder, rape, introducing drugs to innocent children, treason, etc.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I remember this in another death penalty that totally made sense.

Something along the lines of "you can't take back the penalty of death if the law makes a mistake"
Quote by zombie_monster

Something along the lines of "you can't take back the penalty of death if the law makes a mistake"

Yeah but at least your still alive.
Living ftw!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by Rody_Walker
hey guys...

OR

[ ] I think the death penalty is unfair, and raging killers should only be put in prison for life.

If the murderer is put into prison, how do you expect him to do a repeat killing?

The use of language in negative way in the second option, opposite the first, implies that your view is biased.
Quote by zombie_monster

You know how often innocent people are given the death penalty?

Probably less than the number of people raped by a mongoose.

EDIT:
If the murderer is put into prison, how do you expect him to do a repeat killing?

prisoners make homemade weapons in their cells, hide them in their asses, bring them to the yard and stab people.

go watch lockup.
Quote by red star
im against it however i think prisons should actually punish prisoners instead of giving them a free place to live comfortably and hang out with other convicted criminals.

Do you think truly believe that a jail cell is comforting?

I know exactly what you mean in your post, but you're crossing the line with the "comfort" statement.

Prison is meant to be used for rehabilitation.
Quote by OrangePossum
You know how often innocent people are given the death penalty?

Probably less than the number of people raped by a mongoose.

EDIT:

prisoners make homemade weapons in their cells, hide them in their asses, bring them to the yard and stab people.

go watch lockup.

Shouldn't be a problem for those who are for Capital Punishment, same result they wanted in the first place right?

All that scenario calls for is tighter prison security. It does not call for death. The government should have no power over who lives and who dies. Isn't that your god's job?
Quote by wirehigh
Do you think truly believe that a jail cell is comforting?

I know exactly what you mean in your post, but you're crossing the line with the "comfort" statement.

Prison is meant to be used for rehabilitation.

compare it to homeless people or people on welfare struggling to feed a family. just get locked up and you get 3 meals a day guaranteed with medical attention when needed. kinda nice compared to living on the outside in poverty.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I believe that where the suspect admits the crime or there is a situation where it is 100% guranteed that it was them. If it's not that, it shouldn't be done. we've all heard the stories of inoccent people getting the chair.

I also agree with whoever it was who suggested prisioners should have to work or be punished in prision rather than just be given a place to hang out with other people like themselves.
Quote by red star
compare it to homeless people or people on welfare struggling to feed a family. just get locked up and you get 3 meals a day guaranteed with medical attention when needed. kinda nice compared to living on the outside in poverty.

Possibly, it depends on the person. I know that I, for an example, would much rather be "broke" and "free." I could not stand living in such a closed area. Cabin Fever, or the like. But, I definately don't think it is fair to compare these two situations unless you have experienced them (both).
Quote by wirehigh
Shouldn't be a problem for those who are for Capital Punishment, same result they wanted in the first place right?

...What? Lemme clear this up - you're saying if someone is given death penalty, killing someone will get them the death penalty? Yes? No? just clear that up for me before i respond

Quote by wirehigh
All that scenario calls for is tighter prison security. It does not call for death. The government should have no power over who lives and who dies. Isn't that your god's job?

Tighter prison security isn't doing it, considering that nearly every prison is understaffed and, even WITH technology on their side they're still not doing well.

If someone keeps acting as a troublesome inmate, they're going to be getting solution. Put in ad seg, locked down for 24 hours every day, etc. But what happens when you run of out solutions and they end up killing cops? Taking an innocent life away for absolutely no reason, besides trying to "get revenge" at them for doing their own job.

There are times when people should and shouldn't be given the death penalty. If they've killed a cop or killed some random inmate or even their own roommate, they should at least be given a death penalty.

Besides, we need some way to clear the 2 million person overpopulation crisis in prisons, and building more prisons isn't exactly an option.
Quote by Rody_Walker
hey guys...

OR

Could make your wording of question just a little bit more loaded please?
I'm against.

The US is effectively the only Western country still using the death penalty. It's archaic and horrific, we should be above it.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by wirehigh
But, I definately don't think it is fair to compare these two situations unless you have experienced them (both).

translated....
me: 1
you: 0

hahahaha nah kidding dude, fair enough point
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by Meths
A lot of people in the UK think this should be reinstated. Fortunately, Brown is being sensible and rightly ignoring everyone. Good call. For once.

Anyway, list of reasons why the death penalty should not be there.

1)Cost. It's cheaper to lock someone up for 50 years than it is to execute them (this is all based on the US figures). The average amount of time spent on Death Row is about 20 years, so you've got to pay for that much prison in the first place. Most of those 20 years are actually spent in a courtroom and not in a cell. Court's expensive and in no time at all you've already exceeded what it would to lock them up for life. So, in the event that you're a prick who makes decisions about human lives based on cost, you've got no argument.
2)Killing innocent people. Lots of barbarians blow this off with "only if it's 100% certain" or "DNA and forensic evidence mean it can be certain". A)Nothing is ever certain and B)DNA and forensic evidence are never certain. Highly, highly probable, so highly probable as to be pretty much certain, but still not actually certain. It is possible to wrongly convict people on DNA evidence. Especially if the body is found in a fairly advanced state of decomposition. Just look at the samples they found of "Maddie's" blood in her parents' hire car. It was degraded so they much they can't say with ANY certainty that it was her blood. Or even that it was actually blood. And that was what, a few weeks?
The killing of innocent people would be enough to put me off. It's not like the guilty are being let off and allowed to wander about in society, they're still ****ed. But I won't kill some murderers if it means killing some innocent people. Also, related note, people say you should reduce the amount of court time and appeals to reduce the cost enough to make it economically sensible, but that just makes it more likely that they'll kill someone who's innocent.
3)Violation of human rights. Usual stuff. You can call us all liberal nutjobs but I'm not stooping to their level. We don't kill people. It's wrong.
4)Nobody has the right to decide. I hear a lot of **** like "They DESERVE to die", every time I just think "wait, who the **** gave you the authority to make that decision?" You people aren't supreme moral authorities and you cannot tell me they DESERVE to die. Well, you can, but your opinion carries no weight because you're not in a position to make that call.
5)State power. Most pro-CP people are fascists so this usually won't bother them but I for one don't think the state should have the power to kill. It is not a just system of affairs. Everyone has to live in a country whether they like it or not, I didn't sign up to be in a country where the government could kill people. Not gonna happen.
6)Hypocrisy. By killing them you validate their actions. Their problem is that they don't show respect for human life. We shouldn't show them that we don't either. I want to be as little like these people as possible, and if that means taking the moral high ground and behaving like a civilised person, well that's what I'm going to do.
7)Barbaric. This is the 21st century. It is outrageous that people still think it is appropriate to kill people whose actions they disagree with.
8)Jail time is an appropriate alternative. You hear a lot of stuff about how people have a cushy life in prison, but I guarantee you it's bull****. It's all written by people who have never spent time in prison. Ask anyone who's been in prison and see whether they relish the thought of spending 20+ years in there. I don't think they'll like the idea.

/Thread.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
/Thread.

You're still taking away their life, metaphorically speaking by removing them from society.
2 wrongs make a right?
I'll have to tell my mommy she was wrong.

But yea. It costs less to lock them up for life in a maximum security prison than to put them to death. and...well....Just read the quote from Meths up there ^
Covers all my points.
Quote by rickyy
You're still taking away their life, metaphorically speaking by removing them from society.

the aim of prison is to reform. Do you propose we have to either kill them or let them go free?
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by leeb rocks
the aim of prison is to reform. Do you propose we have to either kill them or let them go free?

If they're on death row they aren't going to be let free regardless of whether or not it goes through.
it's stupid that it's an issue

people need realize it works out just fine one way or the other
Against, It has been proven that deterrence does nothing.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by rickyy
If they're on death row they aren't going to be let free regardless of whether or not it goes through.

And I agree with life inprisonment for malicous murder. HOWEVER I will never condone the Death penalty as it completely destroys the idea that prison is a tool for reform and replaces it with the idea that it is purely for punishment.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

this was the topic for LD debate in the fall. here are some arguements for each side I can think of off the top of my head. it's really up to each individual to decide where they stand though.
against the death penalty:
1)It is not a proven deterrent. It does not deter would be criminals from killing any more than life in jail does. Besides, most people who murder others usually don’t plan on getting caught or they murder during a moment of extreme emotion like anger. If they don’t plan on or don’t think about getting caught, they will not consider the punishment.
2)The death penalty actually encourages killing because the government sets an example of what is right and wrong. If people are killed by the government, it signals to the public- which includes would be murderers- that killing is acceptable. Also, states and countries that use the death penalty have higher rates of murder than those who don’t use the death penalty.
3)The death penalty is wrong because it is a form of revenge taken by the victim’s friends and family against the killer. Although revenge is strong and a natural emotion to have when one close to you is murdered, that does not mean that it belongs in the government. We should respect life instead of taking it away, even in the form of vengeance. If vengeance is taken out on the murderer, it extends the chain of violence as a form of pay back; which is no better than what the killer did to the victim.
4)There is a very high risk that someone given the death penalty is innocent. Once a suspected murderer is killed, it would be impossible to take back the punishment if they are ever proven innocent.

for the death penalty:
1)Prevents future murders by deterring would-be criminals from killing. If society uses the permanent and strongest punishment for this crime and sentences murderers to death, potential murderers will be discouraged from assassinating others for fear of their own lives.
2)Helps prevent future crimes and quite possibly save lives by getting rid of those who are known killers. Prisoners can murder others while in jail and even escape from jail, but it is impossible to escape from the death penalty.
3)If somebody kills another human being, society must kill them to show that murder is intolerable and will not be taken lightly. If there is no death penalty, the government is showing that killing is no worse than stealing because the worst thing that can happen to you is ending up behind bars. The most terrible crimes, like murder, must be paid for by the most terrible punishment-the death penalty.
Quote by Chordzzz
it's stupid that it's an issue

people need realize it works out just fine one way or the other

unless an innocent man is killed.

It doesn't happen often but I would rather 9 guilty men went free than one innocent man was killed.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Quote by leeb rocks
And I agree with life inprisonment for malicous murder. HOWEVER I will never condone the Death penalty as it completely destroys the idea that prison is a tool for reform and replaces it with the idea that it is purely for punishment.

Don't be naive, of course it is for punishment. If that were not the case they would just get sent to group therapy or something.
Quote by amaqqut

for the death penalty:
1)Prevents future murders by deterring would-be criminals from killing. If society uses the permanent and strongest punishment for this crime and sentences murderers to death, potential murderers will be discouraged from assassinating others for fear of their own lives.

Aren't most murders crimes of passions? That would be beyond determent.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by rickyy
Don't be naive, of course it is for punishment. If that were not the case they would just get sent to group therapy or something.

I just realized that I'm arguing with you in two seperate threads .

Anyways, you're right that did comeout awfully naively. Yes, prison is a form of punishment. However at the heart surely it is a method of reform. Even if that reform is brought about through people not wanting to go back to prison. Anyway I can't be bothered anymore so I'll just direct you to Meths post.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Quote by lordofthefood1
Aren't most murders crimes of passions? That would be beyond determent.

I don't understand what you're saying, elaborate please?
Quote by amaqqut
I don't understand what you're saying, elaborate please?

As in spur-of-the-moment

If a person gets enraged enough to kill somebody, are they even going to think of the punishment?

I'm not talking about premeditated murders, but run of the mill "shot store clerk" "spouse caught cheating" "drunken bar mishap" sort of stuff.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by leeb rocks
unless an innocent man is killed.

It doesn't happen often but I would rather 9 guilty men went free than one innocent man was killed.

innocent people don't go to prison anymore
Quote by lordofthefood1
As in spur-of-the-moment

If a person gets enraged enough to kill somebody, are they even going to think of the punishment?

I'm not talking about premeditated murders, but run of the mill "shot store clerk" "spouse caught cheating" "drunken bar mishap" sort of stuff.

that's what I thought, read the first reason I put on the other part of the list. I agree with you completely.
Page 1 of 2