If I'm playing on stage at a church threw big speakers do I need an amp? can't I just run my guitar directly to the speakers? I ussually use a Zoom 505 II pedal and then run it to the speakers. I don't have a good amp at the moment but do I really need to get one for that?
it sounds like you've dont this before sowhy ask?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

because idk if I want to just buy a new guitar or amp. I don't have enough for both right now. I know ussually the amp will improve your sound a lot more but if I'm not going to be using an amp on stage I'll just get a nice guitar
Last edited by ksmash5 at Mar 25, 2008,
I would say go with an amp. but try not to get a crapy one...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by J rock
use an amp as a monitor and let the main speakers carry the bulk

yeah that's what i was thinking about doing. But I'm playing a StarCastor right now.. lol should I buy a guitar 1st? I mean.. if I'm just using the amp for a monitor it won't make the sound better
...but with a nicer guitar maybe the playing will get better. A shoddy guitar will actively resist and sometimes you'll struggle with something for hours on end but then when you try the same thing on a nicer guitar you'll just pull it off with only minor effort.

I usually say that the amp is most important, but that's assuming that the current guitar is nice enough to be pleasant to play.
^I agree totally. When I was learning thunderstruck, my squier couldn't pull it off. But when I went to the store and tried on an american deluxe tele, I did it fllawlessly.
Normally if you want to improve your tone, you should go with getting a new amp almost always.
I don't know how good the Zoom pedals are, but I do own the starcaster, and it's garbage. If you never had yours set up it will still play terribly. The pickups are really noisy also.

Originally my setup was
Starcaster -> Digitech RP50 pedal -> 10 watt amp from target
After playing the target amp, I went to my friends house, played through her MG10CD, and told her it sounded amazing. Yeah, the target amp was THAT BAD.

Now I have a Roland Cube 30X Amp. $230, and it made my guitar sound amazing. I gave the pedal away to my friend with the MG.

If you're happy with your sound, get a new guitar. Most likely, if the PA you are playing through is decent, then it won't sound THAT bad (as long as your pedal has a noise gate).

What would your budget be on an amp or guitar if you wanted to get a new one?
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Quote by brabb55
electric guitar at church?... damn im missin out

hehe
mine has an all out rock band and the electric guitarist is awesome and he's givin me lessons

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Tube combo ftw.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
The line 6 pods sound good through flat sounding speakers, or monitors. I bet pedals that simulate amps and cabinets will sound really goood through a good sound system. My pod does.
if you have a starcaster, you probably don't care about tone anyway, so why bother with an amp. however, going direct in to the mixer might make you sound really thin, thats where you can get a really small amp that will take care of the normal harmonics of your sound, and you can just mic it with an SM-57 through the PA.
It's all about feel
The church doesnt have amps? One of your friends?

What you want to do might work but its not the best option when using an electric guitar through a cheap effect processor. Idk how loud or crazy you will get but you'll need good monitors if you want to perform at your best and enjoy it.

Try to find an amp from SOMEBODY or work really hard with the sound crew at the church to get the right level of monitors and all that, but the sound wont be as good.

Dont spend any money on anything you heard above me. Save for an amp.
You can just run it through the speakers at the church, thats what i do.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Yeah I ussually just play my acoustic martin and it sounds good. but theres 3 other guys that play acoustic and we just take turns.. So they want someone to play electric and I don't really feel like playing my starcaster up there.

They have monitors but you know, there's no knobs to adjust anything on them.

My pricerange is around $600 - 700 for either an amp, guitar, or both
Get a Vox Valvetronix, maybe 30 W, I don't know how much that cost were you live, but it's a good amp and you should have money left for a decent guitar. Or maybe you want something better than that?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I know that situation, and I'd say get a new guitar.

In the case of everythign is terrible, the guitar is really the priority. At this stage you should worry more about your playing than your tone. Playing well with bad tone is better than playing bad with good tone.

As long as you can hear yourself that's really all that matters.
Does playing guitar at church score the church cuties? I would totally rock the god gigs if I didn't catch on fire upon entering the building. I would record a double live album chock full of songs about...how I love god and I would to some 10 minute session of speaking in tongues into a talk box. I actually kind of like this idea. The audience is pre-installed, which means you don't even have to pay your dues in night clubs.
Quote by Starchild_ex4
Does playing guitar at church score the church cuties? I would totally rock the god gigs if I didn't catch on fire upon entering the building. I would record a double live album chock full of songs about...how I love god and I would to some 10 minute session of speaking in tongues into a talk box. I actually kind of like this idea. The audience is pre-installed, which means you don't even have to pay your dues in night clubs.

I'm fairly certain Joe Walsh has already done your speaking tongues into a talk box idea, but go ahead with the getting church honeys, though I'm not so sure how'd they roll with that...

On topic... I'd get a new guitar, honestly. As said before, it's better to play well with bad tone than to play badly with good tone. As they say, you play the guitar, not the amp.
I play in my Chruch's Youth Group band every Saturday, (today actually). and I play one of my two Gibson Les Paul's, a Boss-ME 50 Pedal Board, Boss Chromatic Tuner, Slash Cry Baby Wah-Wah, and my 1964 Fender Bassman amp. Now I play in a pretty big Church so we Mic my amp and I listen to it and the rest of the band through in-ears and I let the sound guy work with the rest of the volume.

I would recommend getting a good amplifier instead of just getting a better guitar and going through the "house" speakers. Because the "house" speakers are not going to give you great tones and what is the point of spending a large amount of money on a guitar and then playing it and having it sound like crap?
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by Benguitar2
I would recommend getting a good amplifier instead of just getting a better guitar and going through the "house" speakers. Because the "house" speakers are not going to give you great tones and what is the point of spending a large amount of money on a guitar and then playing it and having it sound like crap?

'Tis also a good point you raise, still, I would personally, in this situation get a new guitar first.
I guess I will rephrase what i said earlier.

At my church youth band I bring my guitar and my DigiTech RP250. We have some ports or something that run up to the mixing board. Im not sure how it all works but i just run my effect pedal through and it goes through the monitors and speakers and what not.

Also, since you said you needed a new guitar/amp and had some money to spend i would also recommend getting a Vox Valvetronix (15 or 30w) and getting rid of the starcaster and getting either Les Paul Standard or a Telecaster.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
i play at my church, and we all have amps that just are mic'd. we've tried just plugging into the board but frankly it just sounds bad.. but if your already getting a decent sound from the system then i dont see a reason to get a amp. its really up to you though. just make sure you have plenty of time to try out the product before you buy it XD i usualy just tell the sales people to go away while i check everything out. it helps
I have a 30w amp that came with my starcaster btw. I'll probably just use that and get a new guitar, and save up for a nice amp.

haha yeah I hate when the sales people bother you.. Most of them don't know what they're saying