Hey,
This summer, I have everything planned out that i'm gonna be able to raise 2000 bucks.
I already know that I will end up selling my peavey classic 50 to get it, but it's alright.
Anyways, I will probably end up getting Ceriatone's faithful take on the Dumble Overdrive special (Ceriatone's Overtone Special). That'll cost me 1400 once I factor in shipping and installation fees. That leaves me 600 bucks to spend on a nice cab. I was thinking of getting a 1x12 avatar cab with a celestion gold in it. This'll allow me to crank the Overtone Special (40 watts), right? I believe that the celestion gold is rated at 50 watts? Or, do you think I should go with a 2x12 with more affordable speakers?

Opinions? and feel free to recommend me a different amp or cab. I play mostly blues and rock, if that matters at all.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sounds cool. i personally think that setup sounds fine. except i think you should at least get a 2x12 just to help that nice tone\w/hore of an amp come through.
Any more opinions?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think it's a little excessive, but if you really really want to drop 2 grand on something that will sound 10% better, go nuts.

I just find it odd that you'd consider selling the Classic. You freakin' love that thing.
2x12 jusrt sounds better to me, more powerful, better low end... thats MY personal preferance so I would reccomend that over the 1x12, but do whatever you wish.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I think it's a little excessive, but if you really really want to drop 2 grand on something that will sound 10% better, go nuts.

I just find it odd that you'd consider selling the Classic. You freakin' love that thing.

You're right. I do love it. I may just keep it and take the extra time to save up more. I may not even end up selling my peavey.
I don't mind dropping that much cash on a boutique quality amp. Atleast i'm not wasting my cash on MG's or line 6 spider fullstacks like my friends are. Plus, I already have a friend who's will give me and my band free studio time (which means I don't have to buy my own recording rig for a while), I don't need another guitar (I may pick up a nice LP in the future, but my strat fits me perfectly), and I already have the stompboxes I need. Thus, the only part of my rig which I want to move up is my amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
That's more like it. A good amp will always be a good amp.

Frankly, I plan on buying a Gabriel Voxer, 65 SoHo, and Mojave Scorpian...but I figure I can wait for just a few years until it's financially viable. I feel like, as a student, there are more important things to spend money on than 4 figure boutique and vintage amps. Tone chasing is one thing, tone obcessing will starve you and get you kicked out of your apartment.
Quote by darkarbiter7
You're right. I do love it. I may just keep it and take the extra time to save up more. I may not even end up selling my peavey.
I don't mind dropping that much cash on a boutique quality amp. Atleast i'm not wasting my cash on MG's or line 6 spider fullstacks like my friends are. Plus, I already have a friend who's will give me and my band free studio time (which means I don't have to buy my own recording rig for a while), I don't need another guitar (I may pick up a nice LP in the future, but my strat fits me perfectly), and I already have the stompboxes I need. Thus, the only part of my rig which I want to move up is my amp.

Now your thinkin like a smarty! I use my old mans strat and my sg yet I still want another, but in the long run that would be stupid because they already get the tones I want! I want so many stompboxes and a splawn though... so i still hunger! maybe you should just keep the peavey, save a little longer so you have your peavey and a real nice botique amp, like a diezel, or a bogner, or soldano (they arent botique but meh). Cheers!
Excellent choice with the Overtone Special. I had the opportunity to play around with one last year and it was outstanding. I actually preferred it to the Two Rock Overdrive Signature.

In most Dumble circles, speakers are a hot issue. The Celestion G12-65 is generally considered to be the best match for Dumbles and Dumble clones (if you can find one that is). Personally I didn't much care for the Alnico Golds when I got to mess with some, they sounded like a glorified V30 to me. Personally I would go for a 212 with less expensive speakers. I just didn't hear anything in the Golds that would lead me to justify spending the necessary cash on them.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Great choice on the Overtone.

But when you've got it, I can't see why you'd want to keep the Classic 50. As good as it is in it's own right, I find it hard to believe you'd go back to it regularly if you had the Overtone Special sitting next to it.

Not sure what to recommend in terms of a cab, but Kendall's choice sounds excellent speaker wise, and I've always preferred the sound and increased portability of a 2x12.