Hey everyone!

I brought one of those cheap bass guitar packages a couple of years ago (baby little 10W amp, a lead and a no name bass). I've started to get a bit better at it and want to go to the next step.

I've found myself rehearsing with a guitarist and a drummer borrowing my friends 40W amp, yet I'm hardly competing sound wise with them. I borrowed her 300W amp once - and boy was that fun! I could really beat them for sound then!

The guitarist has a Line 6 amp, with all those inbuilt effects (distortion, tremolo, echo's, etc) which seems very cool.

I am at the stage where I want to invest, and I love the idea of having all those effects. Should my next purchase be:
-A line 6 bass amp so I can get all those effects.
-Another brand of bass amp + effects pedal
-A new bass guitar.

I think I am happy with the bass moreso than the amp at this stage, so I am leaning to the amp side of things - I'd love to beat the drums as far as volume goes! What I am seeking is opinions on which is the best way to go. What size amp I need would be nice as well. I have a budget of around $650-700US.

THANKYOU!
i would suggest hartke. the aluminum cone speakers are great and have better response than paper ones. you can get a 250w 2x10" combo for $650ish. see if you can try them out at a store though.

+1 on the ashdown
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
Quote by Deliriumbassist
DON'T think of touching Behringer. Line 6 amps are better than Behringer. However Line 6 amps are modelling amps and are more geared towards recording.

Try Ashdown, Carvin... Ashdown really gives bang for buck, but isn't for everyone, so shop around.

Behringer was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of bass amps. I don't play bass unless I'm fooling around. Sorry for the bad information, TS.
I would go for a peavey, or look around to get a deal. It would be fking great to get an ampeg
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

That 300W amp I had a go at was a Behringer - I didn't mind the sound, then again, I can't say I've heard much else. Also, would you say it is too early to be grabbing effect pedals and the like? Also, what size amp should I go for, the biggest I can fit in my budget?
Quote by Gummers
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

That 300W amp I had a go at was a Behringer - I didn't mind the sound, then again, I can't say I've heard much else. Also, would you say it is too early to be grabbing effect pedals and the like? Also, what size amp should I go for, the biggest I can fit in my budget?

It's not as much the sound coming out of a Behringer - there are some "good" ones out there - it's more about the build quality and reliability. Behringer's guitar and bass stuff is notorious for crapping out.

If you're planning on jamming with a loud band, I'd say get at least 150W+. Also, if you plan on gigging with the same amp, you'd probably need at least 300W or a stack of some sort, just in case you won't be able to PA.

My first recommendation would be to look used. You can sometimes find great deals on Craigslist, but you gotta know your stuff. Brands to look for are Ampeg, GK, Peavey, Ashdown, even Yorkville/Traynor

If you're buying new, I'd recommend something from the Ashdown MAG series, particularly this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485033

Plenty of power, very affordable, and the 2x10" speakers will give you lots of punch.

If that's too much power, the Electric Blue series is good too:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15180-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485037

My policy on effects is: don't buy it unless you know what sound you want. Firstly, it's a waste of money to just buy something that seems like it'd be cool, only to realize it's useless; secondly, don't try to force effects into the sound of your band. Imagine a southern rock band with a bassist who used a synth pedal. Not good.
Well threadstarter, I'm going to stay out of the "Which Amp" discussion, because I'm usually wowed by how much more learned my fellow UGers are on the subject than I.

However, to touch on your other question... depending on how much money you're planning on investing in your bass playing in the future, there's the option of getting both a new bass AND amp. $650-700 isn't a bad beginner's fund.

In fact, my bass is an Ibanez EDB500 - worth about $350.
I recently purchased my own viable amp, a SWR LA15 - $300.
That's your $650 right there.

Point is, depending on how decent your current bass really is (or rather, how not decent it is), getting a totally fresh setup could be an option. I'm saying that there are plenty decent basses and amps both in that price range. But that's all up to you.

On the side, if you do know what kid of music you're going to be getting into, even as a beginner, getting yourself an effect doesn't have to be a horrible idea. And besides, overdrive, wah, and chorus can all be helpful in a huge variety of genres. Go with your gut.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Amp wise I'd say brands like Peavey, or mabe Laney or even Trace Elliot, if they are available in America, as Im pretty sure they are a UK based company...

I own a Laney R4, which I got cheap becuase it's recently been replaced by the Laney RB8, which is EXACTLY the same but has a lightning decal, so maybe it goes faster

I know Geezer Butler used to use Laney, and mine is loud enough to cope with two guitarists

I also like Peavey Amps, and would of got one, it's just this Laney gave me more bang for me buck

in terms of effects, make sure you want it and can use it before you buy it, I have made this mistake too many times...now just have an overdrive and chorus, and even then I dont use them much

amp shud be upgraded before bass, but if you can afford both, then go for it
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I can't imagine you being unhappy with a used Fender Standard Jazz or Ibanez SR through an Ashdown MAG 210 (or 410 if you can afford it) - for me that's the best intermediate level gear you can get for your money at the moment. As for effects, if you really want a multi the Boss ME-50B is pretty decent and will last you longer (and be worth more on ebay when you've had enough of it) than a Digitech or something.
Quote by smb
I can't imagine you being unhappy with a used Fender Standard Jazz or Ibanez SR through an Ashdown MAG 210 (or 410 if you can afford it)

I find that those cheaper Ashdowns have a very limited tone; good for rock, but not much else. I ended up getting a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600, and it's very versatile, loud and sounds great clean. (The overdrive circuit is good too, but I have a strong dislike of smoother solid state overdrive). One of the smaller combos might be worth a look, maybe the Backline 115 or 210. I don't know what the prices or availability for these in America would be like, but in Australia they were of comparable price to the Ashdown MAG series.
How may The National D help you waste your time?