Ok. So I have my guitar and my lessons. I know there's a lotta learn with guitars but everything should start somewhere right? Any advice on where should I start? I'm kinda confused right now. Thanks!
decide what music you want to play.
I have no opinion on this matter.
There's a better forum for this (guitar and bass basics)...but out of pity I'll say learn the staples: Chords, bar chords, maybe some scales. Learn Crazy Train and Smells Like Teen Spirit and Enter Sandman but for God's sake DO NOT play them in a guitar store!!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Nonononono to 2nd poster. You don't have to limit yourself to any type of music.

Just start learning all the chords, ABCDEFG and then all of those chords in minor. Learn a few songs that sound easy and use those chords. Best thing you can do right now is to learn some songs so you can stay interested. A lot of people get bored learning the basics.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
DONT ask the pit, take to more serious forum.
Last edited by tymatt67 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Spoony_Bard
There's a better forum for this (guitar and bass basics)...but out of pity I'll say learn the staples: Chords, bar chords, maybe some scales. Learn Crazy Train and Smells Like Teen Spirit and Enter Sandman but for God's sake DO NOT play them in a guitar store!!

Man that's ALL I hear in the friggin music stores. AND Stairway to Heaven but thats a nice song.
ANYWAY.
Work with chords OR learn songs you like.
There are plenty of beginner columns and lessons here, I worked with them with my first 2 months of playing guitar.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
yeah i self teach myself (almost two years now) ill be honest i know most chords but i went straight to learning my fav songs.. might have been a bad thing.. might have not.. i even attempted trying to learn cliffs of dover by eric johnson lol.... didnt go too far
i would say chords and theory, i never really worked too hard on those and i kind of regret. i'll just have to go back one of these days.
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
There's a better forum for this (guitar and bass basics)...but out of pity I'll say learn the staples: Chords, barre chords, maybe some scales. Learn Crazy Train and Smells Like Teen Spirit and Enter Sandman but for God's sake DO NOT play them in a guitar store!!

Fixed.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by tymatt67
DONT ask the pit, take to more serious forum.

Ok. Sorry for the wrong forum to post. Anyways thanks for the advice!
i play with my own stuff
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by TooFast
Fixed.

Both are acceptable nowadays, spelling Nazi!
I've been here since '04.

1234 (if u know wat i mean) slow fingering chords bar chrods 5th chords scales some 1st song
''courage is not enough to forget''
Quote by NFFC_1865
Both are acceptable nowadays, spelling Nazi!

Really? Hm, I wasn't aware of that. I think that's stupid.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
Really? Hm, I wasn't aware of that. I think that's stupid.

I think it's logical.
I've been here since '04.

I learned to play by knowing what notes sound good mixed and what dont?
And by learing a song by what I wanted to learn next.

When I was hell bent on learning how to sweep/speed pick/play way out of my league.

I learned how to play No Way Out - MAB after roughly 7 or 8months of playing.
Yeah, I could actually do it too

Everyone learns differently, take it how you want to.
I still don't have any musical theory.

I couldn't name an arpeggio, scale, key signature, or even a damn chord for you.
get theory out of the wai now imo, knowledge of theory impresses more tahn smoke on the water i think
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Just go straight to playing songs. It's the best way to learn. You can pick up learning chords, scales, and theory on the way.,
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Deep*Kick
get theory out of the wai now imo, knowledge of theory impresses more tahn smoke on the water i think

People are more interested in your knowledge of good gear and how well you play rather than your ability to talk about ABCDEFG minor/major, italian words, scales, chords, and history.

Someone would rather hear you play Hey There Delilah than hear your explain your learning experience with tremolo picking an A minor scale.
Start improvising early and apply all the theory and techniques you learn in your playing. And of course, if you want to be really good really fast, practice about 8-10 hours a day.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.