Hi, I have the opportunity to purchase a Fender Stratocaster for $400 AUD ($366US dollars).

I know this much from it:

It has a Japanese neck (apparently the original one snapped), serial number J 035163. No serial on headstock, front or back.

The headstock has the same decal placement as this:

It has a rosewood neck fretboard.

The back of the neck, near the headstock (under the nut) has 2 black screws to hold the nut on, simular to a floyd.

It has these tuning pegs: http://theguitarreview.com/images/jimmieVaughanHeadstock.jpg (big picture)

The nut is a floyd rose type of thing (simular to this http://www.banduntitled.com/jays%20guitars/DSC00174.JPG) , but without the bits that go over the strings. It then has a big bit of metal that goes after the nut, over the strings.

The back of the headstock has a sticker that says 'Fender Australia Pty Ltd'.

My dad says the body looks like Pine.

It is sunburst.

It has a turtleshell pickguard, with a 'Jack Daniels No. 2' sticker on it (not sure if it's original or not).

It's HSS.

It has Dimarzio pickups in it (Bucker says DiMarzio on it, but I'm not sure if the single coils are DiMarzio), but I'm not sure what ones. The pickups are creamy white. The poles on the humbucker have holes in the middle that you could turn with an allen key (that shape anyway). It says DiMarzio on the bottom right corner.

This is what the headstock says:

Synchronised Tremolo

Original Contour Body.

Ok, so anyone know if it's worth 400? I'm not sure if it's a real strat body, any insight into this guitar AT ALL will help.

Thanks in advance!
Naw its to expensive i saw one at guitar center for 269 dollars it was used but in perfect condition =)
Are you sure you didn't skip what I said and just read the MIJ part?
A pine body (it's probably alder) definitely isn't worth $400, and the tremolo that "looks like a floyd" will probably go out of tune after the knife edges wear out if you plan on doing crazy stuff with the tremolo . The pickups sound respectable. It's really up to you man, does it sound like $400?
**** that...just get a brand new MIM strat for the same price...instead of a frakenstein... that you don't really know what someone has slapped together
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
You really don't know that MIM strats are $1500 dollars in Australia, do you?
really??? that sucks ass...how much is an american strat?
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
About $3200.

Sorry if my last posts seemed rude, I was hoping people would say that it's worth $2000 ;P

I've decided not to buy it - I'd prefer to buy something that I know for sure what it is.

Thanks for your help!
no problem...i could buy and ship you a MIM stat for like 800$ i wonder why its so much over there
-Kurt Cobain
$400 is pretty cheap for a fender in australia. allans sells fender standard mim strats for $800.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Thing is, I don't know if the body is even a Fender, since the neck has been replaced. The neck is a Japanese neck - the body could be American Deluxe, or a First Act - I don't know.

I'm still open, I could still buy it.
Myself I wouldn't trust it man, have you seen the guitar in person? Had a play etc? Or can you?
If not I wouldn't, although 400 for a strat down heres pretty good
HI
(dumb question) is there any way you can take the pickguard off and see if there's a fender serial-number-decal on the body?
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Yes, I've played it. The strings are crap, but it plays really nicely. I am going down with my crappy practice amp to see what it sounds like.

It's at an auction room, so no - I couldn't take the pickguard off unfortunately. I wish there was a way to contact the seller.
I live in Australia and I'll give you guys a definitive lowdown. MIM's are $1100 but you might get one for $800, US models are $2300+ but you can get them for $2000 if you're lucky. This is in Aussie Dollars btw. IMO we're getting ripped off!
$400 for a *possibly* MIM strat with a MIJ neck. Go for it !
$400 is nothing, you could take a gamble on this or go to your local store and buy a squire fat strat... I'd be willing to take a gamble.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by BGSM
You really don't know that MIM strats are $1500 dollars in Australia, do you?

lmfao a mim strat costs 1500 in aussie your an idiot they cost 800 bucks

Quote by hendrixftw
I live in Australia and I'll give you guys a definitive lowdown. MIM's are $1100 but you might get one for $800, US models are $2300+ but you can get them for $2000 if you're lucky. This is in Aussie Dollars btw. IMO we're getting ripped off!

no they aren't mim strats are 800 bucks everywhere in perth and US models start from 1300

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Last edited by KISSguitarist at Mar 26, 2008,
Is that a ****ing TABLE??!
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Fender table kicks ass. If I ever buy a bigger house I need to get it.
Isnt there any Aussie guitar makers?

Soounds like you guys are really taking it up the ass over there.

Seems like a decent idea to start an importing company.
Yep - I want that table.

There's Ormsby Guitars and Maton (Fantastic acoustics), they're the only ones I know of.

Tasmania really takes anal from guitar shops, an Importing company would be a good idea. We get charged GST though, and stamp duty on top of everything we import. Stupid Howard and Lennon.
Quote by BGSM
Yep - I want that table.

There's Ormsby Guitars and Maton (Fantastic acoustics), they're the only ones I know of.

Tasmania really takes anal from guitar shops, an Importing company would be a good idea. We get charged GST though, and stamp duty on top of everything we import. Stupid Howard and Lennon.

So if you buy something from someone in the US off of EBAY, you have to pay all these tarriff, and taxes?

I dont know what GST is. and no idea who Howard or Lennon are.
GST = Government subsidy tax. It's meant to combine all taxes into one. This is more for companies importing though, not for individuals buying off eBay. I wouldn't like to buy a guitar off eBay though, I'd prefer to test the exact one I'm buying.
If I was you I'd bring one in from America via ebay. I got a brand new HSS MIM Strat for a bit over $600 (including shipping). Definitely beats the local music stores and at least you know exactly what it is. And mate, that isn't even close to what GST is. You got the T part of it at least
Last edited by Adam_G at Mar 27, 2008,
Sorry, goods and services tax. I must have sounded like such a tool

$600's pretty good, but I prefer Japanese strats necks for some reason.
Ah okay, that makes it a bit different then. I understand your problem with Tassie though. Not easy to get cheap guitars at all. I saw mine locally (same model that is) for $1200.
So you're from Tassie too?

McCanns music's prices are ridiculous for most things...