I was thinking about buyin an Epi LP but when I looked I noticed there's 3 main types. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Standard, Studio and LP 100?

I'm into classic/modern rock, punk and metal (a bit of everything). What would you recommend.

Or maybe if there's something you think for the same price $250-500 you can suggest an alternative?
I went through the same thing with les pauls, and the one I bought (full of hidden problems, but don't worry, not an epiphone) has since come and gone. here's what i learned. the epi 100's and specials are crap. just crap. and the standards can be nice. can be, depending on the one you find, and what you're looking for, and of course, how many you try. I dunno much about the studio, but they look a little shady to me. anyway, what I know for sure is that the Customs are awesome, and if I had the money, I would probably buy one tomorrow. They're a little out of your given price range but i guarantee that you won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. hope this helps, and by the way, I just made a post about the ESP M53 guitar, so if you know anything at all about 'em, lemme know.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
maybe an sg G400 my mate has one they are pretty nice to play and i think they are more comfortable and better lookin than les paul
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
well, sg's, ESPECIALLY epiphones, are very very neck heavy, so playing standing up is a bitch. yea, yea, you might think it's not that big of a problem, but I have a guitar that's very neck heavy (yes it's an epiphone) and honestly it's very annoying. plus, a lp standard I think is a better guitar than any epi sg.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
LP100 = average, can be alright but weak pickups
studio & special = avoid, poor craftsmanship and sound terrible
standard = usually quite good, but try before you buy, or just get a custom for a little bit more $
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Mar 26, 2008,
I love my studio. It lighter then the standard and still sounds great. My friend owns an Epi standard, and we compared them side by side. His had a nicer finish, but we didn't really hear any differences, besides that his might have had a little bit more sustain. My particular finish is the alpine white finish, which actually looks nice and clean without any binding. I actually think mine is a limited edition model, because it has a limited edition logo on the back of the headstock. I don't see anyone selling the white studios anymore, which, imo look the best. So, I don't think theres anything wrong with the studio, but if you have the money, spend the extra $100 on a standard, for the looks.
Quote by syk3d
"ahh......yeah. I've just got this old acoustic. Will it be ok if I bring it on board?"
"drop your pants."

^^^
alpine studios are sexy
but the two ive played sounded horrible, you got lucky
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG
^^^
alpine studios are sexy
but the two ive played sounded horrible, you got lucky

Yep, plays real nice too. Really good action and intonation. Stays in tune real well with the grovers too. Although, I'll probably swap out the stock pups eventually.
Quote by syk3d
"ahh......yeah. I've just got this old acoustic. Will it be ok if I bring it on board?"
"drop your pants."

I would definitely take a serious look at the Michael Kelly Patriots if I were you.

Great guitars for the price, and far better than the Epi LPs.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get The Lp 100
I Have One And It's Brilliant!!!!
It's The Most Versitile Guiar Iv'e Ever Played
It'l Play Almost Anything Especially If You Like To Play Classic Rock
It's Also The Better Of The 3 You Listed And It Looks Nicer Too!
Thx a lot for all the help guys. I'm going to visit a few music shops but I think Imma go with the LP 100 or SG G-400, im in Australia it can be hard to get guitars that aren't all that popular which is part of my choice.
you can get michael kellys here

like previous posts i would suggest one. but they like $1k here where as the epis are about $550 for a sg400
Well i have an Epi SG G400 and the only downside I've seen is it's neck heavy, but it is also quite a light weight guitar overall and is hardly any trouble to play standing up. I'm considering buying a les paul myself.. But out of the G400 and the LP100 I'd definatly go the SG..But hey the best thing to do would be play them both and choose whatever plays better for you.
if you can get your hands on one, a Godin LG will tear the Epiphone to pieces (at least thats what I think). I prefer my Gibson to my Godin but owning the Gibson doesnt make me want to get rid of the Godin. Not by a long shot.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Agile 3100+

/thread
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by sg-rocker173
Agile 3100+

/thread

+1
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
Urgh. 100's, Specials and Studios are not 'main' or 'standard' guitars...

The Standard is exactly what it's name says. It is the Standard guitar in the range, anything below that is lower quality. You should never bother with any of the guitars below the Standard - this goes equally the same for both Epiphone and Gibson.

The 100, Special-II's and Studios (and in the case of Gibson, Faded and Vintage Mahogany) are all below-standard guitars. They are poorer quality, regardless of what their advertisements say. You should never touch an Epiphone Special-II, 100 or Studio, and you should never touch a Gibson Studio, Faded or Vintage Mahogany (or Special, in the SG range of guitars). If you do, you're wasting your money - simple as that.

Ideally, you should always aim for at least a Custom (Epiphone) or Classic (Gibson). These are a tiny step up from the Standards (slightly higher grade wood is used, they are checked over in quality control a tiny bit longer and more thoroughly, in the case of the Gibson Classics they also come with slightly better stock pickups than the Gibson Standards do), and rarely cost much more (in fact in most places, Gibson Standards and Classics cost exactly the same, and in some areas Classics actually cost less, even though they're better. No, I don't know why).

Be aware that this goes for the Epiphone Custom and the Gibson Classic. There is also an Epiphone 'Classic' that is no longer made (since the Custom surpassed it in every way), and a Gibson 'Classic Custom' (which costs far more than a Standard and, unsurprisingly, is also far, far superior).

In short, the rule is: Get a Custom/Classic, or if you're really strapped for cash, drop down to a Standard. Any less than that and you might as well just put your money on the ground and take a dump right on it.
Quote by sg-rocker173
Agile 3100+

/thread

Agreed, Agiles have fantastic sound and craftsmanship for the price.
Another alternative are the Yamaha AES guitars. The AES 420 has good, LP typical tone and quality wood, the 620 has even better tone because of the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. Check the links.

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60004%252526CTID%25253D600002%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html
http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60006%252526CTID%25253D600002%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

The pictures on the yamaha site don't do them justice. The 620 is a stunning beauty.
Quote by strat212
well, sg's, ESPECIALLY epiphones, are very very neck heavy, so playing standing up is a bitch. yea, yea, you might think it's not that big of a problem, but I have a guitar that's very neck heavy (yes it's an epiphone) and honestly it's very annoying. plus, a lp standard I think is a better guitar than any epi sg.

I hate how everyone complains about the neckheavyness, just hold the darn neck when you play. why take your hands off?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by sg-rocker173
Agile 3100+

/thread

no. Just.. no.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
i bought an epi LP standard three years ago when i started playing guitar. i went to the shop and bought the one i liked the colour and pattern of (cringes), luckily it turned out to be a nice guitar and i still like it now (phew). get a standard or above i reckon. even go second hand, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. and dont go for looks like i did.
Thank you please.
Quote by Walternativo
no. Just.. no.

???

Agiles are very inexpensive instruments, but by no means cheap.

I've played an Epi LP Custom (600-700USD) with some upgrades on it. The only ones I remember are the pups, but I think the guy said something about a new bridge being on it too. I've also played stock ones. Nice instrument and all, I guess I'd pay 600 for it. That is, if Agiles didn't exist. I got a 3100 for 380? shipped, and the playability, cosmetics, and sound of the guitar beat the Epi hands down. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but an opinion that says just "no" is quite.. well... invalid IMO.

Please elaborate.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

You can't get Agiles in Australia.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get a standard, I have one, and its great. Or maybe a MiM Fat Strat? If you can get an MiJ Strat off ebay, that would be great, the 80's MiJ Strats are equivelent to todays MiA Strats.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by KISSARMYSOLDIER
Get The Lp 100
I Have One And It's Brilliant!!!!
It's The Most Versitile Guiar Iv'e Ever Played
It'l Play Almost Anything Especially If You Like To Play Classic Rock
It's Also The Better Of The 3 You Listed And It Looks Nicer Too!

noob, how maby guitars HAVE you played to say it's "the most versatile guitar" you've played, 3?
I have one and they can play any style, but not well.
It is NOT better than the standard, why would the standard cost twice as much.
go back to your practise amp
TS ignore this guys post
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by bokuho
Urgh. 100's, Specials and Studios are not 'main' or 'standard' guitars...

The Standard is exactly what it's name says. It is the Standard guitar in the range, anything below that is lower quality. You should never bother with any of the guitars below the Standard - this goes equally the same for both Epiphone and Gibson.

The 100, Special-II's and Studios (and in the case of Gibson, Faded and Vintage Mahogany) are all below-standard guitars. They are poorer quality, regardless of what their advertisements say. You should never touch an Epiphone Special-II, 100 or Studio, and you should never touch a Gibson Studio, Faded or Vintage Mahogany (or Special, in the SG range of guitars). If you do, you're wasting your money - simple as that.

Ideally, you should always aim for at least a Custom (Epiphone) or Classic (Gibson). These are a tiny step up from the Standards (slightly higher grade wood is used, they are checked over in quality control a tiny bit longer and more thoroughly, in the case of the Gibson Classics they also come with slightly better stock pickups than the Gibson Standards do), and rarely cost much more (in fact in most places, Gibson Standards and Classics cost exactly the same, and in some areas Classics actually cost less, even though they're better. No, I don't know why).

Be aware that this goes for the Epiphone Custom and the Gibson Classic. There is also an Epiphone 'Classic' that is no longer made (since the Custom surpassed it in every way), and a Gibson 'Classic Custom' (which costs far more than a Standard and, unsurprisingly, is also far, far superior).

In short, the rule is: Get a Custom/Classic, or if you're really strapped for cash, drop down to a Standard. Any less than that and you might as well just put your money on the ground and take a dump right on it.

I'm just wondering, have you actually played any of the studios/specials? I mean sure, I'd probably avoid the LP-100, but thats just because I prefer glued in necks. But you know, the Epiphone aren't the most consistent guitar company. Neither is Gibson. But just because you played a few bad eggs, doesn't mean ALL of the lower priced Epi's are bad. Their good guitars for the money. Sure, there are better ones, but these are definitely not pieces of ****. It just depends on what guitar you get, because you might get a bad egg. I once got one of the cheap bolt-on Epi Juniors, and the electronics crapped out on me after a week. But my current Epi studio is fine with me. And if you don't like the pickups, you can always swap them out later.

(I'm not sure, but I think the LP Studio is a standard, just without any of the binding, fancy inlays, ect..)
Quote by syk3d
"drop your pants."

Quote by FacingUsAll
I would definitely take a serious look at the Michael Kelly Patriots if I were you.

Great guitars for the price, and far better than the Epi LPs.

What he said. Seriously, michael kelly's are great, great, GREAT guitars for the price.
I tried out a patriot custom but when I saved up enough to get one, I couldn't find any Dx. I ended up getting a Valor custom, and it's an amazing guitar, plays beautifully.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!