Lately I've been thinking of the guitar will be my last. I'm thinking of a custom guitar, because I want a versatile guitar. I repeat, its all about versatility!

So yeah, what do you guys think? Custom or not? and if custom, what will give me the most versatility?
Hi that depends on your budget. I paid £500 for a custom shop Strat 50's re-issue (Mexican) and would never part with it.
hmmm a custom guitar isnt suddenly better than another guitar
you should just play A LOT of guitars and make your choice of that
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
What will give you versatility. It's up to you and how you play and stuff, man.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Carvin make great custom guitars, and ive heard that they are pretty versatile. Look into PRSs as well.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
get Hugh Manson to build u a mirrored bomber, only 3000 pounds, then give to me
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
hmmm a custom guitar isnt suddenly better than another guitar
you should just play A LOT of guitars and make your choice of that

I've played lots of guitars, on lots of different amps. At the moment, the one that comes to mind for versatility is a PRS 513 on a marshall stack, but it still doesn't go from squeaky clean to crushing distortion without major tone tweaking. At the moment, I'm thinking of a custom PRS singlecut set neck with a seymour duncan Super Distortion in the neck position, and a '59 model SH1 in the bridge, with maybe a Classic Stack Plus STK-S4 in the middle. And also, I'd have a Mahogany body with maple top, Brazzilian rosewood neck and fretboard.... you get the idea. oh, and OFR bridge.
You know, I think I have found my perfect guitar with just one problem,, it has a floating bridge.

Maybe look into it one day about whether to order a ESP custom one day to but that is in a few years,,

Know ESP make customs, another brand to check out if you like, they also give you a bit more choices than some other brands may offer, just really depends on what you are after.

You may find out that a company may already make a guitar that is "perfect" for you without having to go custom.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
oh.. the Ibanez S series is also very versatile apparently
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
I've been looking at those as well, they sound awesome. I'm willing to spend lots, but if I can get it on the (relative) cheap, that would be cool. My budget is probably max 7000 AUS(about the same US), but itll take me a while to save up that.
7000 AUS >_< sheesh

Go for a carvin custom carved top then
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
I've heard that Ran makes some awesome custom guitars. Carvin is another good choice.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
hmm... speaking of versatility.. i'd go for Petrucci's rig with a sustainer (sustanic)... all the crazy effects in the world... even his guitar with the 7 string and peizo option...

but his tones are warm or crunchy mostly, so maybe u'll be limited in playin the tone of most drop C stuff! Other than that i think its a great setup
I say its all about what your looking for. There might be a guitar thats not custom thats perfect for you. Try alot of different things.
if your in Aus and have a budget like that get Perry from Ornsby to build you something. he makes probably the most beautiful rigs ive ever seen.