If you aren't concerned about sound quality, then go for it, I'm assuming you don't, but if you want a decent quality recording, then buy a MBox Mini 2 it comes with Pro Tools LE, it's around $400. Again I don't assume you to buy it, but it's a thought.
Quote by Aaron_Yeo
A 1/4" to 1/8" jack? Less than a dollar.

+1

thats all i use. into the line in jack in your sound card. if you don't have one you can get an external USB audio interface, or yeah, pro-tools hardware. and software. these will lower latency as well, but if you have a good sound card and fast computer your latency shouldn't be too bad.
Wait, you want recording technology, or stuff so you can hook up your guitar to an interface with preamps and effects?

If you want an interface with amp models and effect models, look into the Line 6 toneport. I own a UX1 and its great if you sit at the computer with your guitar reading through UG. Plus, you can hook up some earphones for quiet practice.
Quote by Time Seller
You need some sort of adaptor right? So which one should I get, how does it work, and how much does it cost?

if you're planning on recording or using amp modeling software you should get an interface...USB2.0 or firewire.....youll get tons of latency with a stock sound card.

head on over to the R&R form and see what you need.
Line 6 Guitar Port or Tone Port.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You could use a DI box and run the output to your computer. That would change the load from your guitar or bass to a level the line in could read well but it wont help with latency. If you can, the m-audio fast track USB is a good starter interface for just $100 The Toneport GX would work but I just dont trust them as much as everyone else after owning one myself...

$100 is about the lowest I'll go in interfaces. In the field of audio, the more you pay, the more quality you get which is important.
Quote by Time Seller
You need some sort of adaptor right? So which one should I get, how does it work, and how much does it cost?

Depends on what you have. If your computer has integrated audio go for a USB adapter. If you have a PCI sound card you can use straight audio I/O that's what I'm using. What recording software will you be using?
Why not try importing the tracks you record with your Micro BR into Audacity, and then editing them there, if it's editing and mixing you are concerned with ?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Why not try importing the tracks you record with your Micro BR into Audacity, and then editing them there, if it's editing and mixing you are concerned with ?

I know, I could do that, but I want to try using the virtuAMP and Guitar FX Box since I already have them installed. And it takes longer to use the Micro BR.
Quote by mfinnan101
Depends on what you have. If your computer has integrated audio go for a USB adapter. If you have a PCI sound card you can use straight audio I/O that's what I'm using. What recording software will you be using?

Micro BR, Audacity. I have a Realtek Sound Card, I suppose it isn't good enough.