'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
jazz and punk pop

though space rock has really influenced me
Lolz
Quote by inhatredofme
made me laugh for some reason. i don't have any fetishes...you guys are just freaks or something. imagine that, freaks in the pit.

Quote by Bonesaw
take a deep beath................then stab him in the eye with a screwdriver
see, i thought the general response would be funk. But i was hoping to get sum interesting answers from sum interesting folk.

and who said pop punk? and WHY?
Funk is where the bass gets more chance to stand out than in any other genre, generally, so that would be pretty good. Bass doesn't stand out in jazz quite as much but jazz bass lines are good to learn and be able to write cause they broaden your playing abilities quite a lot.

EDIT: check out soul, and things of that nature. I find there are some interesting suprises there.

Oh, and if you want to have you head blown off by amazing bass playing, check out just about any good fusion band. Same thing applies for guitar, drums, etc.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by dispreferred
see, i thought the general response would be funk. But i was hoping to get sum interesting answers from sum interesting folk.

and who said pop punk? and WHY?

yus pop punk but i understand ur reaction
i was reffering to pop punk in the 90's era (i.e. green day , the offspring)
Lolz
Quote by inhatredofme
made me laugh for some reason. i don't have any fetishes...you guys are just freaks or something. imagine that, freaks in the pit.

Quote by Bonesaw
Quote by willysayshi
yus pop punk but i understand ur reaction
i was reffering to pop punk in the 90's era (i.e. green day , the offspring)

im still somewhat perplexed, that stuff is just root note, guitar following...unless u hav evidence otherwise?

Im not bein pissy or anything, pop punk was totally my genre wen i was younger, greenday and offspring were high on my list, but i dont recall anything interesting about the bass.
Quote by dispreferred
im still somewhat perplexed, that stuff is just root note, guitar following...unless u hav evidence otherwise?

Im not bein pissy or anything, pop punk was totally my genre wen i was younger, greenday and offspring were high on my list, but i dont recall anything interesting about the bass.

Obviously mustn't have been much of a fan then...

Everyone will answer with Funk or Jazz really.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by dispreferred

sure pop punk may not consistantly have distinctive bass riffs

but now that u mention it

i havnt really got evidence to prove that pop punk isnt just root notes and guitar following

still im gonna say jazz, pop punk and space rock
Lolz
Quote by inhatredofme

Quote by Bonesaw
Blues. Any kind of instrument it's the best to play. With all the improvisation and the mood changes it's the most soulful and emotional music to play!
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by willysayshi
sure pop punk may not consistantly have distinctive bass riffs

but now that u mention it

i havnt really got evidence to prove that pop punk isnt just root notes and guitar following

Anti Flag can be your evidence my good man

Stars and Stripes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe7Wr1OMBuw
Angry, Young and Poor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1UVqKk0AA
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
Anti Flag can be your evidence my good man

Stars and Stripes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe7Wr1OMBuw
Angry, Young and Poor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1UVqKk0AA

i imagined Anti-flag would be more ska then pop punk
but everyone has their own opinions
Lolz
Quote by inhatredofme

Quote by Bonesaw
Quote by willysayshi
i imagined Anti-flag would be more ska then pop punk
but everyone has their own opinions

What? Ska? They don't have horns or play ska chords.

Are you sure you know what ska is?
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Quote by BenFoffenbock
What? Ska? They don't have horns or play ska chords.

Are you sure you know what ska is?

obviously not

i interpreted ska as (generally) anti-governmental punky-grunge rock
Lolz
Quote by inhatredofme

Quote by Bonesaw
Quote by willysayshi
obviously not

i interpreted ska as (generally) anti-governmental punky-grunge rock

Ska is like an offshoot of reggae, you may have heard of Reel Big Fish, Operation Ivy, Less Than Jake, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, stuff like that.

Ska has cool bass as well
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by civildp1

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I mostly play stoner rock on bass (Kyuss, Sleep, Monster Magnet, Earth, The Atomic Bitchwax, Fu Manchu, Desert Sessions et cetera)

I also play more straightforward heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Mastodon, High on Fire, Metallica, Slayer)

then there's the old stuff everyone loves: Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and that sort of thing

I'm also partial to a bit of hardcore (Black Flag, DFA79, SSD) and I've been known to play the odd CSS tune as well as make my own Daft Punk style dance music.
Last edited by smb at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by BenFoffenbock
Ska is like an offshoot of reggae, you may have heard of Reel Big Fish, Operation Ivy, Less Than Jake, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, stuff like that.

Ska has cool bass as well

aaahhhh right so kind of a counting crows type thing (maybeh not but ive got the idea i guess)

so what did i just describe before

anti-governmental punky-gunge rock?
Lolz
Quote by inhatredofme

Quote by Bonesaw
Why don't you guys take the ska debate to the ska forum? And read up on the history of Studio One and the Skatalites while you're there.
interesting bass generes you say??

well, obvious one is Funk

then Ska

hmm, what would people class Primus and stuff like that as??

Bass led Rock??

Claypool's later work seems much more Jam band with a slight hint of Jazz
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'd say Cuban. It fascinates me, especially the work of people like Cachao (RIP ) It's where classical music and jazz meet... and it's as funky as hell. What's not to love?
How may The National D help you waste your time?
fusion jazz/prog metal
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by willysayshi
aaahhhh right so kind of a counting crows type thing (maybeh not but ive got the idea i guess)

so what did i just describe before

anti-governmental punky-gunge rock?

counting crows? ska? ohhhhhhhhhhhhh no, buddy, not by a long shot

Most interesting genre? For me personally it's straightforward rock. The great thing with rock music is that it can draw from all these other genres into a great mashup.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
counting crows? ska? ohhhhhhhhhhhhh no, buddy, not by a long shot

Most interesting genre? For me personally it's straightforward rock. The great thing with rock music is that it can draw from all these other genres into a great mashup.

aha Delirium truly you are a wise man, and make a good point, for rock itself is such a diverse genre that any style could indeed fit into it.

Man, dyu ever tired of being right Ben? Can I call you Ben? have I got to that level of acceptance yet? If not I take it back, but my point about your point remains valid nonetheless.

in my opinion Deliriums post /thread
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Gotta be math rock

awesome. i'm really liking battles at the moment and my band is veering off to a foals-y sort of style, with a new keyboard player
That's like asking me what child I like the best. I love them all--I agree with Rick, if its got a good bass line, I'm all over it.

But I do have a slight fondness for funk, R & B and blues...
Thrash metal because you don't have to play and you can do other interesting things.
* Nobody likes WootSticks
Egyptian...
I like experimenting with exotic styles that normally aren't played with bass.
Then the fun part is trying to find a way to work those licks into a conventional genre.
Progressive rock and metal.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I would say that the most interesting genre for bass is the one you like playing the most...

...Which for me would probably be rock. Progressive-rock, hard rock, blues-rock, metal, funk rock, punk rock, jazz rock, classic rock, whatever: it's all good.

I've also started loving playing jazz; I play for my school's jazz combo, and I just love the whole improvisational thing that I get to do.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Page 1 of 2