What makes the neck really fast or really slow?

"doesn't your playing make a fast neck vs a slow neck"

?

Can some one shed some lite on this.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Action, width of neck, feel of the wood, age of the wood, moisture in the air, strings, how well it's connected to the body, whether it's dead flat or bowed, pretty much everything.
Ah thank you mate I've allways wondered about this.

and all this time I thought it was your technique

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Technique CAN make a difference to how fast a neck feels, it's all about preference. Find the guitar that fits you.

EDIT: Whoops, pressed reply too fast haha.

Yeah, technique can make a neck feel fast or slow, like how Buckethead can shred on a (modified) Gibson LP but so many people around the world find it difficult to do so because of their preference.

Personally, I can play nearly every guitar I pick up whether it be a Squier or a Jackson, I just don't find any trouble playing guitars like that. (With exception of warped necks)
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by XianXiuHong
Technique CAN make a difference to how fast a neck feels, it's all about preference. Find the guitar that fits you.

EDIT: Whoops, pressed reply too fast haha.

Yeah, technique can make a neck feel fast or slow, like how Buckethead can shred on a (modified) Gibson LP but so many people around the world find it difficult to do so because of their preference.

Personally, I can play nearly every guitar I pick up whether it be a Squier or a Jackson, I just don't find any trouble playing guitars like that. (With exception of warped necks)
I have one that actually fits me quite well and she is very fast for a crap guitar as people say, but I don't think she pays crap at all.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
I have one that actually fits me quite well and she is very fast for a crap guitar as people say, but I don't think she pays crap at all.

That's great you can find great guitars with the most unlikely looks/price tags
Quote by XianXiuHong
That's great you can find great guitars with the most unlikely looks/price tags
I know one thing I've learned coming on U-G don't believe everyone when they say your guitar is crap.

Its not crap but I know that the first acts are from walmarts, You know what I'm trying to say?

She has a very VERY fast neck but the 10-48's I have for strings feel fragile.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
I know one thing I've learned coming on U-G don't believe everyone when they say your guitar is crap.

Its not crap but I know that the first acts are from walmarts, You know what I'm trying to say?

She has a very VERY fast neck but the 10-48's I have for strings feel fragile.

If it feels good and sounds good, play it

But now I have to go to sleep for school tomorrow bye.
Quote by XianXiuHong
If it feels good and sounds good, play it

But now I have to go to sleep for school tomorrow bye.
Later mate.

And your right it does and it looks dam fine to boot.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1

?

Technique. Good guitar players can play whatever they want on whatever guitar they want.

[/thread]
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by CortFan1

?

Whoevers holding it is all that really matters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
...Good guitar players can play whatever they want on whatever guitar they want...
True, but ask said good guitar players if they'd rather play on nitro than a sanded neck
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Preference. Alot of people think that thin wide necks, like on Ibanez and Jackson's are fast, but it's all down to whoever is playing it. I remember playing an Ibanez in a shop and was enjoying it, then my mate who works there who is infinitely better than me had a go and found it hard to play fast, on account of him being used to Les Pauls.

Recently I've found that anything I can play on my Ibanez I can play just as fast on my Telecaster, so it's all down to personal preference. I've met people who could rip up a semi-hollow guitar but couldn't even get a bend in tune on a "shred" guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Sometimes your neck can get sticky if it's real humid outside, which makes it a little tougher to play, but everything else has pretty much been mentioned.
Quote by one vision
Anyone can shred on any guitar, but thinner necks are considered "faster" and make it a bit easier.

Not for me.

It's all preference, as stated before.
for most people thinner necks are faster, lower action is faster, better cut-away faster, neck-through faster, unpainted usually faster...
Quote by jm1681
True, but ask said good guitar players if they'd rather play on nitro than a sanded neck

Preference is one thing but the neck doesn't make the player/playing faster, the player does that; any of the best players can play their music on anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I like thin and fast necks specially when your playing longer then normal songs.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
I tried some guitars with "fast" necks today, I couldn't play fast at all on it. Prefer a little thicker necks like the one on my Epi or the Esp Eclipse I tried today. I think I'm gonna buy the Eclipse, it felt totally awesome...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Don't let anyone tell you what a fast or slow neck is, because it's completely optional, you just gotta find out which neck fits you the best.
Quote by CortFan1
Ah thank you mate I've allways wondered about this.

and all this time I thought it was your technique

Technique built up like... 90% of your speed...
I mean... gibson LP's aren't really know for fast necks or shredding and stuff but there are lots of guitarist that kick ass on LP's...

why?
cause THEY can
Compare like a 7.5 radius to a 12 or 14 you will notice the difference as far as getting around.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
You.

I play faster and better on a 7.25'' radius neck for instance. Paint is no issue. It DOES feel stickier but a couple of minutes of getting used to it and the feel's not a bother anymore.

My point is; EVERYTHING is suggective as far as comfort goes, and comfort, if you except technique of course, is one of the biggest factors in 'speed'.
I'm used to playing on my Ibanez so when I tried an American strat with a lacquered neck it was pretty difficult to do faster runs up the neck. It just depends what you're used to.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Well, "fast" neck profiles are often pretty thin, and have either a satin finish or are totally unfinished, with a small heel on the neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 26, 2008,