So i'm doing a feature article on the stereotypes that come with listening to heavy metal.

Im having a bit of a writers block atm.

Does anyone know any great sites that have information/quotes from people of authority.

Would also appreciate to hear your opinions on how metal listeners are often stereotypes by the general public
Satanists, violent, stupid, drug abusers, elitists... that's all that comes to mind right now.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Go here , listen and learn. Try to blend in.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by mafropetee
Satanists, violent, stupid, drug abusers, elitists... that's all that comes to mind right now.

Quote by teegman
Dumb, regressive, close-minded white trash.

You make me sad to be listening to metal

Quote by Time Seller
I am metal yargghhhh. Roar. I eat you.

This on the other hand...

Seriously though, there's a lot of bad stereotypes for people who listen to metal. Most of them ending up at the same point, that we're assholes.
I listen to and love most forms of metal with the exception of black and I never actually considered myself a metalhead, despite the long blond elf prince hair.

- They only listen to noise
- Alcoholics
- Unintelligent
- Violent
- Kleptomaniacs
- Plain barbarians
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
In Western Australia people that listen to Metal tend to be associated with emos for some reason.
Yeah, I don't know why either.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
You make me sad to be listening to metal

Why? Are you a violent, drug abusing, stupid, elitist satanist?

I hope not.

I'm only one of those things...
Quote by mafropetee
Why? Are you a violent, drug abusing, stupid, elitist satanist?

I hope not.

I'm only one of those things...

Nah, just that I have those things associated with me for listening to metal. I'm none of them....

Well, maybe one.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
Nah, just that I have those things associated with me for listening to metal. I'm none of them....

Well, maybe one.

Yep. I feel your pain. I do a few drugs recreationally but I'm not an addict or anything.
Narrow minded [especially in musical terms]
Drug abusing
Stupid
Violent
Loud
Listen to white noise

Thats my stab in the dark..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Aggressive
Scary
Long hair
Carry a hatchet
Nationalist (This one seems to be a true stereotype form what I've seen and read.)
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
People who dress different, but aren't I guess. Fake no-conformacy. And thinking they're tough as nails, but just aren't. Very intolerant, music out of their little sphere is just discounted out of hand, and despite often being rich Western kids they think the world treats them badly.

Just stereotypes, no claim to be truth.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by gh0sthack
In Western Australia people that listen to Metal tend to be associated with emos for some reason.
Yeah, I don't know why either.

I think this goes for Australia in general. I'm Far North Queensland and that **** happens all the time. I'm so glad I don't go to school anymore. It angers me so much when people ask what I'm listening to. If I say Children of Bodom, they'll be like "Oh is that some emo band?"

Wtf mate!?
I think this goes for Australia in general. I'm Far North Queensland and that **** happens all the time. I'm so glad I don't go to school anymore. It angers me so much when people ask what I'm listening to. If I say Children of Bodom, they'll be like "Oh is that some emo band?"

Wtf mate!?

Thought of another- getting angry over the most ridiculous things
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by Kensai

Exhibit A:

"but if you pm me i wont ban you, i'll just rape your whole family"
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

i think big ones are
satanists
stupid and agressive
and nerds/introverted/weird

and i don't know if its the same in America or Europe, but metalheads get called emo's here. ;(
They never, ever smile. If you see a photo of them, they always have a mean little frown on their faces
*waits for Muphin to voice his hate of the metal genre*
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Where i live anyone who listens to metal or any other type of music with electric guitars, etc, are either labled a "mosher", "goth" or "emo". God i hate England.
Quote by Green_Jelly
I listen to and love most forms of metal with the exception of black and I never actually considered myself a metalhead, despite the long blond elf prince hair.

- They only listen to noise
- Alcoholics
- Unintelligent
- Violent
- Kleptomaniacs
- Plain barbarians

http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/comment/story/0,,2042125,00.html
Founder of the UG Church of Nihilists pm to join

Trust in me and fall aswell.
Quote by teegman
Dumb, regressive, close-minded white trash.

I am not white
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I think the "stupid" stereotype applies less to actual metalheads and more to mindless hardcore and Slayer fanatics.

Everyone who listens to Skyclad is smart.
**** THE MAN, WE NEED ANARCHY RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

*Eats a small puppy*

There ya go, metal sterotype ftw.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
Quote by IwannaBeSadated
**** THE MAN, WE NEED ANARCHY RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

*Eats a small puppy*

There ya go, metal sterotype ftw.

wasn't anarchy a real punk stereotype?

Anyhow, methullz kids are feared around our school, there are only 3 or 4 people who listen to metal, and we only have 2 poor emo's

Quote by NielsWho
wasn't anarchy a real punk stereotype?

Anyhow, methullz kids are feared around our school, there are only 3 or 4 people who listen to metal, and we only have 2 poor emo's

Yes, anarchy is a punk stereotype, but in punk intelligent people are looking to implement it in a intelligent way, at least now. Punks usually see it in a way to benefit society(even though it wouldn't, but that's a different argument). I do see a lot of metal heads going around with anarchy clothing from hot topic for the reason of drinking, fighting, and killing people without getting in trouble. Also, I think of metal heads as people with long greasy hair who don't like to wash, anti-social, like blood and sick deranged things, and like fantasy games and books. Ok, that's it for stereotyping now.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Kensai

oh come on!
minus the few assholes
we are nice guys

well i am
I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but the metal stereotype here seems to be that metal is simple music for stupid people/high school dropouts, which I think is related to the prevalence of stuff like Slipknot and KoRn.
Very few metal stereotypes actually hold true. I play in a metal band, and everyone looks surprised when I tell them.. Probably because I look like a stereotypical nerd incarnate.