Well, how do you differentiate between a tube amp and a SS amp? Other than tone-wise difference, are there any other differences? I mean, how do you look at an amp and find out if it's tube or SS without playing it? I know it's noobish but i have to learn... The confusion is bcoz i have a local made amp. It's decent, but i don't know if it's tube or SS...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Look if it has tubes?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Generally, it would say somewhere on it that it's a valve amp. But looking round the back is a sure way to find out. If you can see glass valves in there, it's a valve amp. If it has no valves, it's a solid state.
Hmmm... I did look back. I didn't find any tubes. It's kinda covered in a casing... So... I started doubting which kinda amp i have bcoz everytime i turn it on or off, it gives a 'thud' sound... I had a feeling that if its tube, then maybe im not using it right, which is why im getting that sound...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

It sounds solid state, my Yamaha POS does that too, one way to check is standby switch, also does it sound better or worse as you increase the volume, if its the latter, then you have solid state.
Quote by Pat_s1t
well since you should know the model or at least the brand, why dont you google it?

Hehe lol, should've done that... Another reason i got suspicious was bcoz it says drive instead of distortion.... Do all amps say so? I really have no clue...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Quote by Forgotmyid
Hmmm... I did look back. I didn't find any tubes. It's kinda covered in a casing... So... I started doubting which kinda amp i have bcoz everytime i turn it on or off, it gives a 'thud' sound... I had a feeling that if its tube, then maybe im not using it right, which is why im getting that sound...
Solid state amps can do that, too.

One sure way to know. When the amp has been turned off for a while, try playing immediately after you turn the power on.

IF you get sound within a few seconds --- Solid State.

IF you have to wait 20 seconds or more and it gradually gets louder for a minute -- Tube.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

One sure way to know. When the amp has been turned off for a while, try playing immediately after you turn the power on.

IF you have to wait 20 seconds or more and it gradually gets louder for a minute -- Tube.

Good luck,
SYK

Thanks man! I'll try that...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Good luck,
SYK

Nope. Some hybrids take a while to warm up too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yea my Laney LV200 Hybrid takes a little while to warm up aswell
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by timi_hendrix
Nope. Some hybrids take a while to warm up too.
ALL hybrids take a while to warm up. That's because they have TUBES in them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
ALL hybrids take a while to warm up. That's because they have TUBES in them.

They're not valve amps, though, are they. Which is what he asked for
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
You could just open up the box and take a peek. If you don't know how to use a screwdriver, ask someone else to help you.

I'll guess that it's not tube, based on that you wrote you can't see any. Most of the time the tubes will not be locked in with no ventilation, as that will increase the temperature.
Well, checked it out... It's not a Valve amp... SS....
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown