Hi. I intend to perform live in a duo consisting of electric guitar - mostly overdriven and detuned to Standard D to compensate for the absence of a bass instrument - and drums.

I want to project a fat, well-rounded tone with plenty of crunch.

I have settled on the Hughes & Kettner, of all the Solid States I've tried, and I now own both the 30W Edition Blue and the 60W upgrade.

I will be taking both with me to every gig by default, but I was wondering what the pros and cons are of each in a live performance scenario.
For example, what will the differences be between the two models at lower volumes and at higher volumes, given the difference in wattage?
And would miking either amp through a music venue's P.A. system render the pros and cons for the 30W and the 60W obsolete?
The 60 has a 12" speaker as opposed to the 10" in the 30, so it'll sound a bit "bigger" and more full which if you're only a guitarist and drummer is quite important. I'd go for the 60, you still need to turn the amp up a fair bit even when you're being mic'd so the extra headroom will be handy.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
They're pretty much the same amp, so the 60 watt might as well be the one you take because of the speaker size, as mentioned by Timi. You'd probably have to mic them up for gigging anyway, just to be on the safe side.
in this case, the lower wattage version gives pretty much no pros compared to the 60W, so go for the 60W
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Definitely the 60 no contest not because it is louder (though not significantly cuz' you need 10x power to be twice as loud dB-wise) cuz' its 12" celestion has more bass than a 10" speaker.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
So what you guys are telling me is that there is NO reason whatsoever to use the 30W instead of the 60W?
Quote by Smidgey
So what you guys are telling me is that there is NO reason whatsoever to use the 30W instead of the 60W?

It's easier to carry.
But then again if you're too weak to carry the 60 then you should just cut your arms off anyway.

My Music
IF you're going to mic it, just use the 30. Even with the 60, those solid state modelers will sound crappy cranked unless you do major EQ work. The 60 will have more headroom though.
Most SS amps don't sound warmer, bigger, smoother, or ballsier the more you crank it like tube amps do. You'll be micing up at gigs, so there's really no point in worry about wattage. The only reason you'll need to worry about wattage for a SS amp is practicing with your band. In a practice setting, a 30 watt SS is going to have trouble keeping up with the rest of the band. The 60 watt would be the safer way to go if you'll be jamming/practicing more than gigging.
Quote by CJRocker
IF you're going to mic it, just use the 30. Even with the 60, those solid state modelers will sound crappy cranked unless you do major EQ work. The 60 will have more headroom though.

You're going to need the extra headroom of the 60 anyway, by the time you're up to the levels you need to be mic'd at a gig the 30's going to be pretty close to clipping a little.

My Music
It's all looking pretty favourable for the 60W, really, isn't it.

Thanks a lot for all your responses, guys. I really appreciate it.
Quote by timi_hendrix
You're going to need the extra headroom of the 60 anyway, by the time you're up to the levels you need to be mic'd at a gig the 30's going to be pretty close to clipping a little.

Not to mention noise.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Quote by timi_hendrix

Why even crank it if you're going to mic it? Thats the point of micing stuff.
Quote by CJRocker
Why even crank it if you're going to mic it? Thats the point of micing stuff.

I'm not saying you have to crank it, but you can't mic up an amp on a stage with a drum kit, another guitar and a bass with your amp turned to bedroom levels. Once you've turned up the 30 watt SS loud enough to get a good mic'd sound it's going to be close to the level where it starts to sound like ass.

My Music
Quote by Smidgey

None whatsoever. If they're really that similar, I'd suggest you sell the 30W version.

Even if you're mic'ing it, you want the extra power for the headroom. You don't want to be in a situation where you're cranking the amp to the point where it's distorting.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.