Hi

Whenever someone asks about some easy songs, I see someone posting "Nothing Else Matters" by metallica, is it really one of the easiest songs? I mean I tried doing it, and I feel that it's really hard. Many people say that it was the first song they learnt, I wonder how long they practiced before they learned their first song.

Anyways, I just want to hear some opinions on this, and see if anyone else had the same issue. And can someone also state some easy picking songs.

Oh, one more question. I play acoustic, but intend to start also playing electric once I feel that I have become better. Would you suggest picking with a pick or with fingers on my acoustic, because I feel that it would be hard to use fingers to pick on an electric, but it's easier to use fingers on acoustic, I've also never seen anyone using their fingers to pick on an electric. And sometimes the songs requires picking strings that are far apart (eg: high and low E together at the same time) at the same time, how do you do that if you're using a pick?

I'm sorry if I caused confusion in my questions, and thanks a lot in advance

Peace
it was the first song i ever learned, but looking back i played it horribly...it was also the first solo i attempted, and looking back I blew at that too...theres def much easier songs to learn before it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
well nothing else matters strats off real easy but gets a bit harder. also you can use whatever your'e comefortable with wile playing acoustic or electric. mark knopfler from dire straits never uses a pick. easy songs....knockin on heavens door; many dylan songs; die, die my darling; or jesus dont want me for a sunbeam
i have no sig
it depends, just what you like. there are some songs that are played on an electric with finger picking. if you have to play 2 notes that are far apart you can use your fingers or mute all the other strings. for that song, it is as easy as you want it to be. you can play the song by just strumming the chords or you can play the solo's which are a lot harder
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
It is rather simple. All metallica is.
Easy picking songs? Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold. The main riff will make you feel like a god when you first learn it.

...but you're not.

Also, to pick the high e and low E at once, use your fingers to pluck the strings. In the intro to "nothing else matters", you do need to fingerpick.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
First of all, nothing else matters is pretty easy, but so is the rest of the black album. Second, if you use a pick on an acoustic, it gives it a more crisp sound. Take Diary of a madman by Ozzy for example, or even patience by G n' R. But you should be good at both types of picking. Picking with your fingers will give it a softer feel to the song (Blackbird - The Beatles).
i dont think the guy from the Black Keys uses a pick. and oh, easy song by them is 10 A.M. Automatic. sooo fun to play! so really the moral of this post is do whatever feels right to you, but you might need a pick to plac some things on electric
Originally Posted by jimbo09
"yeah man, i swallow and then **** out all my picks, it gives u really good tone, i swear"

Originally Posted by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off.
i think when you finger pick it sounds more smooth on an electric. but it doesnt sound right on some songs
also John Faruciante (or how ever the hell you spell it) from red hot chili peppers finger picks alot.
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
First of all, nothing else matters is pretty easy, but so is the rest of the black album. Second, if you use a pick on an acoustic, it gives it a more crisp sound. Take Diary of a madman by Ozzy for example, or even patience by G n' R. But you should be good at both types of picking. Picking with your fingers will give it a softer feel to the song (Blackbird - The Beatles).
Picking the high e and low e is possible when using a pick. hold the pick with your thumb and index finger and hit the low E, then, using any of your free fingers hit the high e at the same time. I use my ring finger to hit the high e.
I Used To Love Her by Guns N Roses was the first song I ever learned (infact the first THING I ever learned on guitar). Really helped me with learning how to play chords properly and change between them etc. In terms of finger picking or pick...picking it really depends on what you are gonna be playing. As someone already mentioned Mark Knofler doesn't use a pick, neither did Albert King or well, loads of the great bluesmen. However if you want to start playing stuff like Metallica etc using a pick is the best way to go really. But one thing I will say about when you start using a pick......for the love of god get someone you know who already plays, or look on the internet for tutorials in how to hold your pick properly. Sounds silly I know but I see so many new starters holding their pick in such a way that they can't pick properly, which in turn slows down their learning. I got a mate who has been playing for 2 years now, still doesn't hold his pick properly and as a result he struggles playing anything other than chords.
Sorry for wall of text but I have a habit of not knowing when to stop lol.

EDIT: Agent darkbooty, just edit your post instead of making 2.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Seth Shadows
It is rather simple. All metallica is.
Easy picking songs? Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold. The main riff will make you feel like a god when you first learn it.

...but you're not.

Also, to pick the high e and low E at once, use your fingers to pluck the strings. In the intro to "nothing else matters", you do need to fingerpick.

Aside from the opening to Nothing Else Matters which is extremely simple, Metallica stuff is not "easy"

You may personally find it easy to play, as do I, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Tight rhythms, quick position shifts, palm muting, some quick, intricate picking, alternating between chords and riffs? That's not easy stuff by any stretch of the imagination.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Aside from the opening to Nothing Else Matters which is extremely simple, Metallica stuff is not "easy"

You may personally find it easy to play, as do I, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Tight rhythms, quick position shifts, palm muting, some quick, intricate picking, alternating between chords and riffs? That's not easy stuff by any stretch of the imagination.

agreed. James on Rythm is a god there is no half assing his tight accurate playing
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Its not easy to learn the entire song. Guitar players that have been playing for years often forget how hard it was to learn guitar. I try teaching friends and I wonder "Why is it so hard for you to play a C chord! So easy!"
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Thanks a lot for the responses. I wanna know how long did you guys play before you were able to play it?
Quote by copet
Its not easy to learn the entire song. Guitar players that have been playing for years often forget how hard it was to learn guitar. I try teaching friends and I wonder "Why is it so hard for you to play a C chord! So easy!"

Agreed.
People get learning a RIFF and learning the SONG mixed. Learning the song is learning everything, if you play lead that includes solos.

So...If I said my first song was Laid To rest (Which it was), It doesn't mean I learned it a few days in.

I didn't start learning full songs for a while, it was better to build up strength in the fingers working on riffs instead of working on songs that involved getting the right rhythm and beat.
I got my songs mixed up, this is actually for "the unforgiven":

Yeah it's easy. I haven't learned the solo but the rest of the song is easy. The intro is just an A minor arpeggio that lifts up the first fret on the 5th string until the last note of the sequence. The timing of the rhythm is hard at first to get it right. That melodic riff is very easy, very simple finger position, and mostly quarter notes. Otherwise, the chords are just A minor, D, G, and E minor.