I'm looking for a guitar with EMG pick up's, as I want the be able to lay on the distortion with out the horrible back ground noise. Now I know these can be pricey and I was wondering what was the cheapest guitar you can get with these on them, as of this moment the cheapest I have found is the Epiphone Prophecy line, can anyone go cheaper than £475
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
washburn have a range of guitars.
i have one, i think its a d200 pro e (not sure)
it was really good value for money and is a pretty good guitar.
i got it for £350
You shouldn't be willing to sacrifice guitar quality just for the pickups. In fact, pickups can be swapped but once you buy a guitar with inferior construction quality, you're stuck.

You probably don't want to hear this, but the most important thing is to get a guitar thats built well, with a body and neck you like. When you find this, then you can consider swapping out the pickups if you so desire.

If you are looking for an affordable quality instrument with EMGs, I suggest you look at the Schecter Hellraiser or LTD eclipse EC-500/1000.
WTLTL 2011
Just get a crappy guitar and change the pickups yourself.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Godin or Scheter
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
If you're talking about feedback then active pickups wont necessarily cut it, if anything you're likely to make it worse. But as for cheap EMG equipped guitars, Thomann has some of the Epiphone custom lines....for under £600 this is what i could find at a glance.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_custom_emg_eb_ltd.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_futura_custom_ex.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_v500_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/washburn_wi200proe_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/washburn_v200proe_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/washburn_d200proe_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_dk6_christian_olde_wolbers.htm

To name a couple...
Yeah get a good guitar, then change the pickups. A set of EMG's would be something like $150-200 I suppose, if you count installation. Imagine a guitar in that price range, how much do you think the manufacturers can have spent on the actual guitar?

The feel and construction of the guitar is so much more important than just the pickups, the amp is also more important than the pickups.

If you do save ups some good cash though then the Schecter Hellraisers or higher-end LTD's are the way to go, if you want a guitar already equipped with EMG's.

Maybe not the answer you want, but the more money you spend now the less you'll have to spend later. Get a cheap guitar and you'll just want a new one when you realize how cheap it is, ending up spending even more money.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'm looking for a guitar with EMG pick up's, as I want the be able to lay on the distortion with out the horrible back ground noise. Now I know these can be pricey and I was wondering what was the cheapest guitar you can get with these on them, as of this moment the cheapest I have found is the Epiphone Prophecy line, can anyone go cheaper than £475

Just get a different guitar and buy your own EMGS
Active pickups (such as EMGs) sound utterly horrible if you don't have absolutely top of the line, touring quality gear.

You're looking for an under £500 guitar to use with EMGs, and therefore I'd assume your amps and so on are probably below touring quality too? And no, bedroom hero amps or garage band level gear does not qualify. Well then enjoy your vapid, empty tone.

Active pickups sound amazing if, and only if, all of the rest of your gear is pretty much the best money can buy. We're talking guitars in the multiple thousands, every connection being gold plated, and an amp wall worth more than your house. We're talking about the level of gear that's used for gigs in arenas of 70,000 people four nights a week.
If any single piece of your gear is below that spec, active pickups such as EMGs instantly switch over to being some of the worst sounding pickups you could possibly use. At small gig levels of quality, I've heard stock pickups on £300 guitars that have sounded tonally superior to active pickups through the same amps and gear.

Want to be able to make good use of hard artificial distortion without too much trouble? Get a good passive pickup - something like a Seymour Duncan Alternative 8, or Duncan Custom. I myself have a guitar with active EMG pickups which gets some occasional use, but for practise or otherwise playing though what I would call sub-par gear, I use a guitar fitted with Gibson BurstBuckers (#2 and #3), and even just those pickups - which aren't meant for metal - can produce a better metal tone than the EMG-equipped guitar can through the same gear in small areas or lower volumes.

If you've got the gear to back them up, go for the EMGs, by all means. But then if you had that level of gear, you wouldn't be on an internet forum asking people for help finding a cheap guitar with such pickups already stock. For the love of god, for you, don't bother with actives. Spending a little more money on some nicer passive pickups will sound better, give you less hassle, and be cheaper overall.
Quote by SLD.Potato
Just get a crappy guitar and change the pickups yourself.

+1, though you should not really buy a "crappy" one.

I'd say go with an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic or SG and change the pickups. Both guitars are made of decent wood and don't cost much, so you can afford a pair of EMG's.

EDIT: but like the guys above me said, if you don't have a good amp (and by good I mean professional grade stuff) to begin with, your sound will be bad anyway.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 26, 2008,
@bokuho, I have a feeling I might just print that and put it on my wall Post of the day
Honestly, I kinda prefer the sound of active pickups over passives, even with my low-rate gear.

As far as getting a guitar with EMGs, why do you want EMGs to begin with?
Having a set doesn't make you immediately a guitar hero, nor does it make you 'cool'.
My advice for you if you want a good guitar with good pickups is to find a used guitar that you like but has **** electronics, and gut it and install the setup you want.
That's what I did twice. The LP with EMGs and the Explorer with Blackouts.

What sort of amp do you have? Not all amps respond well to active pickups (I don't know how/why, but the Vox that I have responds really well). You can get a really metal sound out of a good amp and not-so-good guitar if you just set it up right. But a bad amp will always sound bad, even with the best pickups on the planet.

Expect to spend 200usd for a set of EMGs, or 180usd for a set of Blackouts. Plus install, if you can't do it yourself.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H