my desktop computer is screwed. when i turn it on it goes to the blue screen of death and reads:

data error: unmountable boot volume

i know this is bad

however, i believe the hard drive is just unable to read my operating system.
how can i get some files off of this ruined hard drive?

i have a laptop and i have access to other computers.
so can is there a way to hook up my ruined comp to a good one and move files?

TELL ME PLEASE BYE
Shouldn't be a problem. Maybe. Here's how to do it.

1) Insert Windows CD.
2) Boot from Windows CD
3) When the option is available, go to "Recovery Console" (Normally you have to press "R")
4) Select the partition you want to work on (ususally 1)
5) Enter admin password (I don't thing it will display anything when you type)

You should now be logged on to the Recovery Console.

6) Type in fixmbr and press Enter. Let it do whatever it will do. This should fix your problem
7) Type in fixboot and press Enter. this may also help, and it can't hurt.
8) Type exit and press Enter.
9) Your PC should now reboot. If it doesn't, just power it off and on again. Remember to remove your Windows CD!

Voila! If it can be fixed, I reckon that will fix it!

Good luck, let me know how you go!
you need to boot from CD and do a sytem restore, also in this case your HD may have failed.

^Saphrax has given good detailed instructions on exactly what to do, follow them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Hi,

I recently planted a juniper bush in my front garden. Initially, it grew well but of late I have noticed that its growth has become stunted, and the edge of the leaves are turning brown. I was wonder if anyone...

Oh - right. Wrong forum. I get it. If I have a gardening problem I go to a gardening forum. If I have a computing problem I go to a...
Quote by samtberg
Hi,

I recently planted a juniper bush in my front garden. Initially, it grew well but of late I have noticed that its growth has become stunted, and the edge of the leaves are turning brown. I was wonder if anyone...

Give it more water
Quote by samtberg
Hi,

Oh - right. Wrong forum. I get it. If I have a gardening problem I go to a gardening forum. If I have a computing problem I go to a...

Totally unneccesary. there are a few people on here that are IT savvy, and navigating IT forums can be a real pain in the arse if you don' know what you are looking for. That, and the fact TS would have to join yet another forum.
samtberg: The pit is for everything that is not guitar related. I don't see why he shouldn't have posted it here. His chances of getting a good answer are better on a computer forum, but still I don't see the problem here.
Quote by saphrax

1) Insert Windows CD.
2) Boot from Windows CD
3) When the option is available, go to "Recovery Console" (Normally you have to press "R")

6) Type in fixmbr and press Enter. Let it do whatever it will do. This should fix your problem
9) Your PC should now reboot. If it doesn't, just power it off and on again. Remember to remove your Windows CD!

NONONONO! After #7 run CHKDSK to check for constistancy.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Hey thanks for the watering tip - dem tips is turning green once more.

Regarding The Pit being for any subject: I was recently pulled over by the police. They unfortunately found the body parts of four toddlers I'd murdered the previous week. Can anyone help me with a defence? My 'what are THOSE doing there?' didn't seem to work with the cops...
Quote by Seth Shadows
NONONONO! After #8 run CHKDSK to check for constistancy.

He speaks truth, thinking about it.

Quote by Seth Shadows
NONONONO! After #7 run CHKDSK to check for constistancy.

Sneaky fix there Seth! I saw that! Hahaha! But yeah, it should be there.
Last edited by saphrax at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by samtberg

Regarding The Pit being for any subject: I was recently pulled over by the police. They unfortunately found the body parts of four toddlers I'd murdered the previous week. Can anyone help me with a defence? My 'what are THOSE doing there?' didn't seem to work with the cops...

The Pit, not this thread.
Quote by samtberg

There is a difference between asking a question and grossing people out. We politely told you what we thought (I at least tried), so stop being a troll.
Quote by saphrax

1) Insert Windows CD.
2) Boot from Windows CD

thanks for the help, i will give it a shot. right now i cant find my windows CD though >_<
i will try and borrow a friend's.

but you say this may fix it...by fix do you mean restore it back to normal along with all the files i had before?
or will it just fix it as in get it back to where it would be if i had just bought it
Quote by BungToad
thanks for the help, i will give it a shot. right now i cant find my windows CD though >_<
i will try and borrow a friend's.

but you say this may fix it...by fix do you mean restore it back to normal along with all the files i had before?
or will it just fix it as in get it back to where it would be if i had just bought it

All it will do is correct the problem that has caused the Unmountable_Boot_Volume error. Assuming that the problem that caused this to happen hastn't affected your hard drive on a large scale, then everything else should be fine!
Quote by saphrax
All it will do is correct the problem that has caused the Unmountable_Boot_Volume error. Assuming that the problem that caused this to happen hastn't affected your hard drive on a large scale, then everything else should be fine!

Yeah, it should fix it. And even if it does, the error only means that the MBR is ****ed, which has nothing to do with your data, so you should be able to retrieve it at the very least.
I have a similar problem.... except mine says "autochk missing. Skipping 'autochk'",

then a blue screen comes up saying "Fatal Error: could not find 000x000 or something like that."
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.