Iron Maiden for example is good at two guitars harmonizing at once in most of their songs. but how do you know how far up the neck to harmonize??? say i play 1-2-3 on the low e, what would the higher harmony of it be?
i know its not random which is why im asking... say im playing 1--2--3 ont he low e, what would the higher harmony of it be?
F-F#-G... what key is it in (So we know which note is "wrong")?

And I'm guessing you wanna harmonize thirds- it's most common.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
play it as high as you want really.

Depends If you wanna harmonize in thirds or jus an octave of it.
Well, explaining this would involved explaining scales, triads, chords shapes and intervals. Can't be bothered.

Just play what sounds right.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Swat Man
i know its not random which is why im asking... say im playing 1--2--3 ont he low e, what would the higher harmony of it be?

13-14-15 on the same string would match.
1-2-3 doesnt leave much for harmonies due to it being the CHROMATIC SCALE. It depends on what type of harmonies you want. 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th.
the 3rd harmonies on a chromatic scale could be:
A|-0-1-2
E|-1-2-3

See? it'll probably sound like **** too. Use more useful scales. I know its hard because you like jimi hendrix and all and most of his fans know jack **** for theory because they're following in his footsteps buttttttttttt.......
Try this. F Augmented Fifth: 3rd harmonies:
D|-0-2-3-5-7-8-
A|-2-4-5-7-8-10
The top on the D string represents the harmonising note. Harmonies are just broken cords played by two instruments.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
lmfao,this is the stuipedest question ever "duuh, how do i harminize 1-2-3" haha, man, learn scales, learn theory, just learn in general
Quote by Seth Shadows
1-2-3 doesnt leave much for harmonies due to it being the CHROMATIC SCALE. It depends on what type of harmonies you want. 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th.
the 3rd harmonies on a chromatic scale could be:
A|-0-1-2
E|-1-2-3

See? it'll probably sound like **** too. Use more useful scales. I know its hard because you like jimi hendrix and all and most of his fans know jack **** for theory because they're following in his footsteps buttttttttttt.......
Try this. F Augmented Fifth: 3rd harmonies:
D|-0-2-3-5-7-8-
A|-2-4-5-7-8-10
The top on the D string represents the harmonising note. Harmonies are just broken cords played by two instruments.

actually jimi hendrix knew more theory than you might think. and a lot of his fans (myself included) dont want to follow in his footsteps at all.

you phail on both statements.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
lmfao,this is the stuipedest question ever "duuh, how do i harminize 1-2-3" haha, man, learn scales, learn theory, just learn in general

So asking people how to do something isn't learning now

Come on, you didn't hatch already knowing everything there is to know about theory.

EDIT: And Jimi Hendrix not knowing his theory?
Quote by aaron13
im not good at learning theories and cant remember keys on what string... im lucky i can do scales
Iron Maiden songs usually feature 3rd harmonies.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
You're free to harmonize in any interval you want, Iron Maiden usually use thirds (i.e. you have to vary between major and minor and stick to the scale), but Maiden aren't theoretical geniouses. 4ths and 5ths give a more medieval sound, octaves can sound quite jazzy. Not to mention there's nothing that stops you from making harmonies that aren't parallel to eachother they can weave above and below and around eachother in any number of ways. Listen to Beethoven for example.

Anyway, don't forget that YOU are the creator and you should listen and explore, don't just limit yourself to what someone else tells you or whatever the standard, easiest way is.
Quote by Swat Man
not really sure. what does maiden usually do?

Major thirds.

Gtr 1

E 1-2-3

Gtr 2

E 4-5-6

(me thinks)
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
^... You might want to pick up a book.
It'll help you in the long run.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
actually jimi hendrix knew more theory than you might think. and a lot of his fans (myself included) dont want to follow in his footsteps at all.

you phail on both statements.

His music was full of sour notes, rancid bends and un-timed guitar raping.
All he had was feeling. Nothing else, nothing more. Just feeling.

Notice i said most? not all of his fans?
maybe you're one of the lucky few who won't.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Seth Shadows
. Harmonies are just broken cords played by two instruments.

That's all you need to know.
um, say you play a riff like enter sandman to harmonize you would play normally three below it, so if you first played a 3 on the e string you would play 6. its basically doing the same riff but higher or lower down the neck in time with the other guitar.

it is possible for you to share a section out between two of you so it is almost like a question and answer thing.

correct me if i am wrong
Quote by Seth Shadows

yeah but when he'd hit a ''sour note'' he'd bend it or slide it ''in'' again
Magnificoamar ;
He's saying 1-2-3 as an example, not that that's what he literallly wants to harmonize. And he's trying to learn, that's why he asked the question.

I always harmonize by just screwing around until I find something that sounds good, as I have no experience in theory. My advice would be to work on your scales or just spend a lot of time with your guitar.

Aren't I a genius?
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Seth Shadows

lol someone doesnt have a taste in hendrix............... he was amazing no matter what you say.................. I dont hear many sour notes coming from his playing and for what limitations he had at the time, he owns you.. come back when you can play killing floor as fast as he did on acid
Quote by Swat Man
lol someone doesnt have a taste in hendrix............... he was amazing no matter what you say.................. I dont hear many sour notes coming from his playing and for what limitations he had at the time, he owns you.. come back when you can play killing floor as fast as he did on acid

I promise on my soul i can play "faster" then him.
Does it make me better? no.
Did I say I was better? no.
Obviously YOU wouldnt hear sour notes if all you do is play chromatics.
I can imagine your jam session; constant:
E|-1-2-3-x-x-x-x-x-1-2-3-~~~~~~-0h1-2-3
Learn some theory and then listen to that.

Oh yeah, and he did acid before going on stage? makes him even more of a loser. Way to defend, buddy.
Quote by Surfer Rosa
yeah but when he'd hit a ''sour note'' he'd bend it or slide it ''in'' again

Does that make it okay? no. the sour note was still there. So he's either stupid, or really sloppy.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Here, lol. Just typed it all out.

Minor
------------------------------5-7-8-
------------------------5-7-8-------
--------------------5-7-------------
-------------5-7-9------------------
-------5-7-8------------------------
-5-7-8------------------------------

------------------------------------------12-13-15-
---------------------------------12-13-15----------
-------------------------9-10-12-------------------
-----------------9-10-12---------------------------
---------8-10-12-----------------------------------
-8-10-12-------------------------------------------

Major
------------------------------5-7-9-
------------------------5-7-9-------
--------------------6-7-------------
-------------6-7-9------------------
-------5-7-9------------------------
-5-7-9------------------------------

--------------------------------------9-10-12---
------------------------------9-10-12-----------
-------------------------9-11-------------------
-----------------9-11-12------------------------
---------9-11-12--------------------------------
-9-10-12----------------------------------------

I never found it difficult to notice what sound good or bad in harmonizing. It takes a while.
Last edited by ctb at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Seth Shadows
I promise on my soul i can play "faster" then him.
Does it make me better? no.
Did I say I was better? no.
Obviously YOU wouldnt hear sour notes if all you do is play chromatics.
I can imagine your jam session; constant:
E|-1-2-3-x-x-x-x-x-1-2-3-~~~~~~-0h1-2-3
Learn some theory and then listen to that.

Oh yeah, and he did acid before going on stage? makes him even more of a loser. Way to defend, buddy.

Does that make it okay? no. the sour note was still there. So he's either stupid, or really sloppy.

Whats wrong with chromatics? Many great musicians use them. Chromatic Fantasy by Jaco anyone? And besides, he just said 1-2-3 as an example. He never said that was what he wanted to harmonize. Im pretty sure you just a dick, and you probably dont even know that much theory yourself.

Once you can tell me what an alt. chord is, then maybe Ill listen to your opinions. And Ill be able to tell if you wikid it.
Last edited by zeppelinfreak51 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Whats wrong with chromatics? Many great musicians use them. Chromatic Heaven by Jaco anyone? And besides, he just said 1-2-3 as an example. He never said that was what he wanted to harmonize. Im pretty sure you just a dick, and you probably dont even know that much theory yourself.

Once you can tell me what an alt. chord is, then maybe Ill listen to your opinions. And Ill be able to tell if you wikid it.

Isn't it Chromatic Fantasy?
To make it simple.
Harmonize one octave (12 frets) higher, or 5 frets higher.

Otherwise, it would get quite complicated and I also don't know more than that about harmony.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Maiden makes use of the 3 interval harmony. My favorite type of harmony is the "Gothenburg sound," that Opeth used in Morningrise. Same key, completely different playing. It can lead to wonderful sounding stuff.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Whats wrong with chromatics? Many great musicians use them. Chromatic Fantasy by Jaco anyone? And besides, he just said 1-2-3 as an example. He never said that was what he wanted to harmonize. Im pretty sure you just a dick, and you probably dont even know that much theory yourself.

...I don't know theory?
I've been studying it since I was three you and I'm now 17.
I know exactly what I'm talking about.
He should find a better example if he doesnt want to look like a complete tool.
maybe: 5-7-8 ? or 3-5-6?
Chromatics are just noise meant to sound metal or more intense then other musicians.
Alternate chords are quite similar to diminished chords. Where the notes itself are that of chromatics like:
G|-7-
D|-4-
A|-6-
E|-5-

Also sounds like ****.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Seth Shadows
...I don't know theory?
I've been studying it since I was three you and I'm now 17.
I know exactly what I'm talking about.
He should find a better example if he doesnt want to look like a complete tool.
maybe: 5-7-8 ? or 3-5-6?
Chromatics are just noise meant to sound metal or more intense then other musicians.
Alternate chords are quite similar to diminished chords. Where the notes itself are that of chromatics like:
G|-7-
D|-4-
A|-6-
E|-5-

Also sounds like ****.

He can't help not knowing stuff- especially seeing as it's stuff he's come here asking to be taught- and this is a guitar forum, so we're probably meant to be helpful. How are people gonna learn if they get ripped apart for asking a question
Quote by aaron13