ok, so me and my dad made a deal. If i can get a scholarship by the end of my senior year of highschool, he'll give me his guitar, which he's currently letting me play anyway because he doesn't play anymore. It's a beautiful guitar, 1986 Aria Pro II ZZ Custom. I recently just got it back from the local shop because i had to get the fretboard reworked. With it's kickass explorer body shape it was built for thrash metal, and I absolutely love it.

anyway, I had a few questions about the tremolo and the pickups. I've only been playing for roughly 10 months, and my other guitar doesn't have a tremolo. So I have very little experience useing one of these things, other than playing with it. I must admit I absolutely hate this whammy. It's not like a Floyd Rose at all, and I actually have no clue what kind it is. I can't do dive bombs, or rather any cool squeals.. but that could be an operator error. haha The locking nut blows, and I'll probably get it replaced.. a few tugs on the whammy and it's out of tune.

here's the body

here's a shot of the tremolo.

I would like to get a Floyd installed, but my buddy who worked on the neck for me said that because it's a somewhat rare guitar and hard to find, I shouldn't change anything on it. Well, I'm not planning on selling it, so I might as well make it's playability worth my while, right? Whatever I plan on doing, I want to keep all of the original hardware, just in case... so I was wondering what you guys think of getting a Floyd installed? I want maximum playability out of this thing, especially if I start doing shows with my band.

now for the pickups. It has some kind of unknown-brand humbuckers on it.. and yesterday it started to, well, kindof short in and out.. Now I have very very limited education on pickups and how they work. I know these are passive, but I don't know if they can short out or what. It could just be my cable, but most likely isn't seeing as how it works fine with my other guitar and the Aria is 22 years old. If the pickups need to be replaced (which I plan on doing this summer anyway), I was wondering what pickups you guys would advise getting. I was looking at Passive EMG's, but I'm not sure what I want to get. I have a Randall EX15FX amp (which isn't that great, imo) and am also looking at tube amps. I wouldn't mind going with Active pickups, but I heard you have to change a battery every now and then, and to be frank I would not want to have to rely on a battery during a show. so if someone could post pros and cons of different kinds of amps, pickups, and tremolos I would be much appreciative for any advice.

EDIT: oh, I'm also looking for a classic thrash metal tone if that helps.. the guitar sounds good with my amp but I would like a heavier, crunchier tone to it. advice on pedals would be nice too if it's not too much trouble
thrash till death
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. sig this if you like bagels.
Last edited by Rad_Sauce, yo at Mar 26, 2008,
Batteries in active guitars last for a really long time, so you dont really need to worry about it dying onstage, usually i replace mine every month or 2. As for the guitar, id stay with the original tremolo. Sure it sucks and it goes out of tune, but if you put on a floyd your gunna have to adjust so much ****, and you might **** something up in the process
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
active pups = better for metal imo
passive = more versatile

floyd.....you'd need some routing done. i think you should do it though.
Quote by metallica92
active pups = better for metal imo
passive = more versatile

floyd.....you'd need some routing done. i think you should do it though.

what kind of routing? I don't' want to have to take out any wood and damage the originality of the guitar.. I also heard that I could get Floyd's custom made.. is that true? It'd probably be expensive but it sounds worth it to me..
thrash till death
On another note everything I have seen on the places I looked seem to point that its a pretty cheap guitar. So keeping it stock probably won't do much to the value. So you may as well just set it up for you to play.

On Ebay and some of those private "vintage guitar" seller sites they were all listed in the low hundreds.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
what kind of routing? I don't' want to have to take out any wood and damage the originality of the guitar.. I also heard that I could get Floyd's custom made.. is that true? It'd probably be expensive but it sounds worth it to me..

you'd need a bit of routing at the top so you could pull up, not sure if they can be cutom made though...
Definitely a rare guitar. I wouldn't change anything on it. The way I see it: Floyd Rose is cool to have, but you can be just as good, with or without a Floyd Rose.
Last edited by Hair Banger! at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by nebiru
Maybe rare but they don't seem to be worth crap.

http://www.evilguitars.com/guitars.htm#ARIA

Yeah, I don't know. lol I don't give a ****, it's still a badass guitar and I'm not selling it so who cares?!

my dad said he paid $1500 for it brand new back in the 80's..
thrash till death
Passive EMG's = oxymoron. For passives there are much better pickups to buy. IMO you should probably go with something else so that guitar isn't confined to strictly metal. And you might as well put the Floyd in, because who cares what a guitar is worth if it doesn't do what it's supposed to?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Passive EMG's = oxymoron. For passives there are much better pickups to buy. IMO you should probably go with something else so that guitar isn't confined to strictly metal. And you might as well put the Floyd in, because who cares what a guitar is worth if it doesn't do what it's supposed to?

right thats what I was thinkin! for restricting it to only metal.. as far as I'm concerned it's a metal guitar, and for the time being metal is all I want to play/learn to play.. later in my musical life I'll probably branch out and learn classical, Jazz, Blues, and other styles, but I'll also have more guitars, so I'm perfectly okay for having that specific guitar for metal only
thrash till death
Well if that's the case, go with the EMG's if you really want them. But those will require additional routing for the battery.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Well if that's the case, go with the EMG's if you really want them. But those will require additional routing for the battery.

eh. I'd rather go with as less routing as possible... what about seymore duncans? I hear those are good too..
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
Yeah, I don't know. lol I don't give a ****, it's still a badass guitar and I'm not selling it so who cares?!

my dad said he paid $1500 for it brand new back in the 80's..

Yeah, I was just saying if it isn't worth a whole lot then you may as well make it nice and add the floyd and what not to it since its not worth much stock.
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
eh. I'd rather go with as less routing as possible... what about seymore duncans? I hear those are good too..

Around here on UG people talk about Rock Monkey pickups, which are amazing from what I've heard. The guy who makes them is a UG'er so we get discounts.

http://rockmonkeyguitars.com/

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by nebiru
Yeah, I was just saying if it isn't worth a whole lot then you may as well make it nice and add the floyd and what not to it since its not worth much stock.

right.. I'm just concerned that it will be ruined if I add the floyd.. maybe I'm just using the tremolo incorrectly.. is there any specific technique(s) you're supposed to do to get it to squeal? I've just been pulling up and down to get either lower or higher notes, but I discovered I can achieve the same sound by simply bending the string..
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
right.. I'm just concerned that it will be ruined if I add the floyd.. maybe I'm just using the tremolo incorrectly.. is there any specific technique(s) you're supposed to do to get it to squeal? I've just been pulling up and down to get either lower or higher notes, but I discovered I can achieve the same sound by simply bending the string..

Well if you get it professionally installed then it won't ruin the guitar. But if you are just starting out I would suggest you just not worry about the tremelo right now. Just remove the wammy bar and do your thing. If you want to learn the dive squeels then just youtube the dimebag lesson. He shows you how he did it.

Also you cant really use a tremelo incorrectly. Just some of them aren't made to take as much abuse as others.
fail

Do not put an FR in that beast, just get locking schaller tuners and you should be fine and not have to rout it at all. Much better idea. For pickups I reccomend Dimarzios or Bare knuckles. EMGS = 0 versitility. They are only good for metal. Passive ones by them are terrible as you could just buy dimarzios or bare knuckles! trust me, much better idea. Don't rout that thing out please
Quote by Highwaytohell
fail

Do not put an FR in that beast, just get locking schaller tuners and you should be fine and not have to rout it at all. Much better idea. For pickups I reccomend Dimarzios or Bare knuckles. EMGS = 0 versitility. They are only good for metal. Passive ones by them are terrible as you could just buy dimarzios or bare knuckles! trust me, much better idea. Don't rout that thing out please

lol ok so that's another alturnative. thanks guys I'll definately shop around and get as many opinions as possible. I really don't want to take any wood out, and getting schaller tuners sounds like a logical upgrade too.. never thought of that

what are some advantages with dimarzios or bare knuckles?
thrash till death
Bare knuckles are ****ing EXPENSIVE.
TS, I just noticed your question about tone. What is your amp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
TS, I just noticed your question about tone. What is your amp?

Randall EX15FX. I'm probably gonna get a Boss-DS1 for temporary crunch since it's cheep, and then later upgrade to a DS-2 or something better as far as pedals go.. dunno what kind of amp I want to get yet.
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
Randall EX15FX. I'm probably gonna get a Boss-DS1 for temporary crunch since it's cheep, and then later upgrade to a DS-2 or something better as far as pedals go.. dunno what kind of amp I want to get yet.

If you aren't playing in a band setting dont waste a few bucks on a distortion pedal like the DS-1 (bleech tone). I reccomend saving that cash for a great amp. Once you have a great amp, than you can upgrade the pups, so that way you know exactly what sound you are going to have .
Quote by Highwaytohell
If you aren't playing in a band setting dont waste a few bucks on a distortion pedal like the DS-1 (bleech tone). I reccomend saving that cash for a great amp. Once you have a great amp, than you can upgrade the pups, so that way you know exactly what sound you are going to have .

cool, thanks

but should i go tube or solid state?
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
cool, thanks

but should i go tube or solid state?

Tube. No contest, tube produces better sound in most cases (sure a JC-120 may have better cleans than a marshall, but JC-120 is the top of the heap for solid states.) what kind of music do you play?

EDIT: Disregard that I looked at the bands on your music page. Its going to be hard to get a good amp unemployed! trust me i know... But you're a preety big metal 'ead, always good to see someone fightin the good fight. For you, I recomend a B-52 AT-100. Same with the Peavey Windsor. They are cheap and it get pretty great gain tones. IF you don't play too much clean you should be fine, and if you do, than an EQ and a chorus pedal will make the clean channels sound a load better. Check em out!
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Tube. No contest, tube produces better sound in most cases (sure a JC-120 may have better cleans than a marshall, but JC-120 is the top of the heap for solid states.) what kind of music do you play?

EDIT: Disregard that I looked at the bands on your music page. Its going to be hard to get a good amp unemployed! trust me i know... But you're a preety big metal 'ead, always good to see someone fightin the good fight. For you, I recomend a B-52 AT-100. Same with the Peavey Windsor. They are cheap and it get pretty great gain tones. IF you don't play too much clean you should be fine, and if you do, than an EQ and a chorus pedal will make the clean channels sound a load better. Check em out!

kickass, I definately will i'll be able to work this summer so I might be able to scrounge some cash for better equipment.. but Im not sure how much I can save for splurging because most of it is for college :/ and no, i hardly play clean
thrash till death