My fellow UG'ers, my friend and me had an argument about following question:

When a band plays a gig and they get money for it, do they have to pay taxes from that money?

And if they don't, do they have to pay taxes at all, if the only income they have is the money they get from their gigs?
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

No, there shouldn't be taxes on money you get from gigging. I'm sure our government would probably do it.
Around here they have to, it being an income. Id on't know about the US though.
You're not going to tell me it's wrong the Rolling Stones or Britney Spears paying taxes for their shows is wrong, are you? They are not exactly poor, after all.
in New York state you have to report any payment over $200 as income. so yes you would have to pay taxes. but New York is ****ed up and it sux here.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Eruption1991
My fellow UG'ers, my friend and me had an argument about following question:

When a band plays a gig and they get money for it, do they have to pay taxes from that money?

And if they don't, do they have to pay taxes at all, if the only income they have is the money they get from their gigs?

In England you get a personal allowance. Once you go over that amount (taking out your expenses making the money) you start paying tax.
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
It depends if you earn more than the tax allowance in the UK. I'm not that well informed on the tax system of Austria however.
technically it's income, so yes you have to pay taxes on it though. just don't report it though, problem solved*

*i shall not be held responsible if you end up in jail

im in the US, im assuming austrian tax law is comparable