Ok, so for some time now I wondered how much wood affects an electric guitar's tone. I mean the only two components I can think of logically affecting the tone would be the frets and the pickups. So how does having different wood on the body affect the tone? and why do people prefer it to be a solid piece of wood instead of multimple pieces glued together. Just something I wondered.
vibrations carrying through the wood...natural frquency of the wood
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
So aside from the vibrations of the strings, the pickups pickup the vibrations of the wood as well? Hm...
Also don't forget the type of wood on the fretboard affects tone. i.e. rosewood has warm tones, maple has hard tone, ect.
Like broady said. Natural frequency. Different wood have different structures, which can dampen certain frequencies and harmonise others.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

If you put your ear to your guitars body with out it plugged in and play, You should be able to understand how wood affects the sound.
The pickups are what make the noise, they "pick up" the vibrations of the string. However, the pickups themselves are also going to vibrate, albeit a lot less, and the wood determines how they'll vibrate. It's that combination of the vibration of the string and the miniscule vibrations of the pickups themselves that shapes the tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i was holding my guitar the other day and i played a random chord like normal (it was unplugged). then i rested the bottom end on top of my desk and struck another chord and found that the sound was amplified through the wood of the desk (especially the bass frequencies). it was like plugging my guitar into a quiet amp. pretty cool.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
almost everything about the way the guitar is made effects the sound...pickups, strings, neck wood, fingerboard wood, type of bridge, type of nut, bridge placement, action, intonation...theres more but those are basics
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
thanks steven, that explains it. I want to try what psychokiller did now. So if I were to put my guitar next to a desk or something to vibrate along with, it should change the sound right?
Well the string makes the wood vibrate since the string is technically part of the instrument. And the density and quality determine the length and "sound" of the vibration. The pickups then determine how well the vibration gets picked and some shape the sound slightly.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah