Okay, I've just finished writing my first song but it sounds nothing like how I intended it to. Does anybody have any tips on writing rock songs?
well do it the way you dont intend it to be, then maybe it will turn out the way you intended it to be.
if its your first song then dont be surprised if it isnt at Led Zeppelin's level.

did you write it with a band? i think if you write with a band, or just jam something out, it will sound more "rock" than if you did it all by yourself, esp. first time. just keep writing, it will sort itself out.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
We'll dude dont worry, i've been writing music for over 2 years and i've only just got my music soundin exactly how i want it

My advice, dont set out with what you want in mind, just let it come naturally
Quote by chillrock
if its your first song then dont be surprised if it isnt at Led Zeppelin's level.

did you write it with a band? i think if you write with a band, or just jam something out, it will sound more "rock" than if you did it all by yourself, esp. first time. just keep writing, it will sort itself out.

I wrote it on my own yeah. It's in my sig if you're interested but I was just wondering if there's certain scales or chord progressions commonly used in rock.

[EDIT]
Now I'm thinking it's probably because of the instruments I chose and the lack of a bassline and drums...
Quote by Ziggums
[EDIT]
Now I'm thinking it's probably because of the instruments I chose and the lack of a bassline and drums...

That's a reason! Pentatonics, major, and minor scales are commonly used in rock. What do you want it to sound like? Whatever you want it to sound like, listen to a band/artist that sounds that way and see what they're doing.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
That's a reason! Pentatonics, major, and minor scales are commonly used in rock. What do you want it to sound like? Whatever you want it to sound like, listen to a band/artist that sounds that way and see what they're doing.

Well I wanted to sound like something Muse or foo fighters-ish but after listening to them a bit more I've planned a few things I can change to make it more rocky.

Cheers,
Practice will make it all easier, and you will see a progreesive level of awesomeness in your songs. And learn theory, if you haven't already
Quote by Fraz01
Practice will make it all easier, and you will see a progreesive level of awesomeness in your songs. And learn theory, if you haven't already

I'm in the prosess of learning

I realized that I either had one instrument doing it's own thing or two doing the same for most of the song.. it was too flat but now I'm adding bass and reworking everything so I should have V2 up in an hour or two.
The best way to gain knowledge quickly is to analyse other peoples music. Pick a few songs you really like (the best of the best) and then get bass tabs, drum tabs (if you play drums), and guitar tabs. Work out how the lyrics fit the chords, and basically know these songs inside out.
Then when you compose, use similar techniques, then you'll get a similar sound. But do not copy! I think even if you like the music, let it influence you, not take over you.

True music comes from inside the person who writes it, not anyone else.

Also just muck around sometimes you can come across an awesome chord change, remember it, transpose it, and store it in your memory. The more you compose the better you will get.