Surely to goodness there's another Magnetic Fields thread floating around somewhere. But I couldn't find it, so I made one myself.

I basically need someplace to vent about how ever-so-slightly obsessed I am with "California Girls." It's been stuck in my head, repeating itself like a perpetual phonograph, all day today. And yesterday, in fact.

Now, I've yet to get my hands on Distortion, but I believe that will be a necessity in the near, near future. If the rest of it sounds anything like "California Girls" - which I'm pretty sure it does, being as I read that Stephin used the same instrumentation throughout the entire record - then I'm positive it's a necessity.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
i don't really know, it just seemed like wasn't as much of a focus on the lyrics as there had been in previous Magnetic Fields albums.
Ahh. That's feasible. From what I gather, Stephin spent most of his focus on the sound.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Mar 26, 2008,
I knew it had to be impossible there didn't already exist a thread on this band.

Recently got into them after a friend put The Luckiest Guy etc on a mix CD for me. And it's been a while since I've been so excited about a band. Cannot get enough of this right now.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Quote by uhh_me?
i don't really know, it just seemed like wasn't as much of a focus on the lyrics as there had been in previous Magnetic Fields albums.

Maybe, but Too Drunk to Dream has some of the best Magnetic Fields lyrics ever, and that's saying a lot.

One of my favorite bands, although I've found their stuff to be hard to get into for some reason...
Edit: This may be of interest to some:
http://69lovesongs.info/wiki/index.cgi?69_Love_Songs
Last edited by julio1987 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Arthur Curry
i thought 69 Love Songs really blew. maybe i'll give it a re-listen

hah! that's funny

i have 69 love songs. i think its really interesting, not my favorite music by far but not something that i wont listen to
I'm seeing them next month. This calls for a wha-whaaat.
So. I saw them live. I definitely recommend doing so, if you haven't already.

There were people with white hair there. At a Magnetic Fields show. Isn't that awesome?
I just listened to all my little words on youtube and really liked it...

Any recommendations where i should start with their music?
i started with I. it seemed to work for me. i wouldn't suggest Distortion or 69 Love Songs. Distortion isn't that great and 69 Love Songs is a lot to digest, i have had it for a while and i still haven't sat through the whole thing.
Maybe you could digest 69 Love Songs album by album. Start with Vol. 1. It's got a lot of their better-known things on it. Like "All My Little Words."
i should've visited this thread before i bought 'Distortion.' i can't manage to listen to more than half of the album; are there gems in the last half? good thing it was on sale. 'Holiday' is superb though.
I like "Xavier Says" and "California Girls" the best. I don't think Distortion is bad, per se, but it does get really repetitive. Everything sounds the same. Which I initially thought would be a good thing, but I changed my mind.