What is the difference between the 81, 85 and 60 what effect are they going to have on your tone.
I have 2 81's in my Jackson DXMG, and for my style, which is pretty much metal, hard rock, etc. they do great. They're high output, so dont expect a pristine clean sound, but I like the dirt they have to em. On my gain channel, I get articulate leads and chords, with lots of overtones and sustain. Theres a reason people like Zakk Wylde and Kerry King use EMGs. The 85 is more of a neck pickup, with better low end response and actually has more output than an 81. I personally have never played a 60, but they seem to be a good rhythm pickup also, judging from EMG's site, probably closer to an 85 overall but with more high end to give it a good chunk. My advice to you is experiment, the quick connect feature on EMGs make them ridiculously easy to swap out. Mine have never let me down, I change the battery once every 3-4 months, and I play pretty regularly. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Jackson DXMG (2 81's), Squier Strat (Hot Rails), BC Rich Eagle (Bill Lawrence L500XL) >
MXR 6 Band EQ >
Rocktron Studio HUSH >
Randall RH200 >
Marshall 2x12
all through Monster cable..

'I got blisters on me fingers!'
I have a guitar that i bought used that has 2 85's in it, so i real looking know how they compare to the other EMG's. i am going to put them in a Epi Les Paul Cumtom i bought used from someone just deciding what combo i want. most likey i will get the zakk set.
Quote by Syrnix
...most likey i will get the zakk set.
The ZW set is great. Had it in a PRS McCarty a while back.

Nowadays, I'd do 81 bridge, 60A neck
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
depends on the wood, 85 is better for alder and such in the brdidge whereas mahogany and the likes are better with the 81
81 is mandatory in the bridge, with the right amp it just screams, with the 18V mod and the PA2 it`ll melt your face

85 is a great neck pickup but is very bassy, great for cleans too

60 my nephew likes his, says it`s the 1st neck pickup he likes.... i don`t really know anything about the 60, but i wanna try it out in my guitar

Kerry King
Jeff Hannemen
Zakk wyld
Kirk hammett

they all use EMG pickups and are the reason i use them too
^ All about the 60A I tell you

Oh, and yes, the 18V mod is mandatory as well
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
60A is a whole different animal from what I hear. More power, more mids, less noise, etc...

The way its being described, I'm envisioning it to be EMG's Air Norton.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Never tried'em.

Contemplated them, then came to the reality that EMG has been doing active pickups a WHOLE lot longer than SD.

I'm sure they're great, but I'll stick to what I know and love Also, not quite happy with SD copying EMG's quik-connect system, to make their pickups an especially easy retro-fit. Course if you don't like EMG its a godsend. But if you're an EMG fan, its cause for a fit of biblical proportions.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头