I need to run backing tracks via the laptop with my liveband but i need the click track to sync up with the music so i am in time and also need the click obviously not to be heard by the audience.
Quote by saphrax
Does you band or the backing tracks not have drums, therefore eliminating the needs for a click track?

drums played live
Dude, why would you want to use a click track LIVE? That doesn't make sense. For running intro's and stuff all the bands I have seen just had the sound guy do it...
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Dude, why would you want to use a click track LIVE? That doesn't make sense. For running intro's and stuff all the bands I have seen just had the sound guy do it...

because the drummer will go out of time with the sound efx and other things running through all the songs if drummer speeds up it will go wrong
Quote by Br3wt4lz
because the drummer will go out of time with the sound efx and other things running through all the songs if drummer speeds up it will go wrong

Then make your drummer get better at playing in time...?
Quote by Br3wt4lz

What kind of sound FX are you using? Do you have like weird background textures and stuff? If so you need to just get you someone to run that stuff live like the dude from Chimaira.

So I think it may be time to recruit another member.
Quote by saphrax
Then make your drummer get better at playing in time...?

if drummer goes out the slightest amount the backing track will go out of sync

we are running guitars, sound fx, keys backing vocs live in the mp3s

this is the reason in studios the drum parts are always put down first.
Quote by nebiru
What kind of sound FX are you using? Do you have like weird background textures and stuff? If so you need to just get you someone to run that stuff live like the dude from Chimaira.

or animal collective.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wEIhXPK0TSM

they pretty much use a sampler as an instrument.
To be honest, if it's just a little bit of FX, It's not worth the trouble it causes.

I remember when I was with my last side band (Split up last week ) we used a sequencer and a laptop to play the keyboard and drum parts we couldn't live, and around every 2nd song, something went wrong, be it accidently going out of time, or forgetting you changed the number of bars in the verse from 16 to 20, and you and your band look like complete prats.

If it's for keyboard bits or whatever, have a guitarist or something play them, and just make do with what you have. Sequencing can go very, very wrong.

EDIT: Triple post? ****ing AOL
Quote by Br3wt4lz
if drummer goes out the slightest amount the backing track will go out of sync

we are running guitars, sound fx, keys backing vocs live in the mp3s

this is the reason in studios the drum parts are always put down first.

Yeah, true, but all bands face the same problem. If a drummer goes out of time, the song goes to ****. That's life. Same with any other member of the band aswell. Practice is the only real answer there.
Quote by gallagher2006
To be honest, if it's just a little bit of FX, It's not worth the trouble it causes.

I remember when I was with my last side band (Split up last week ) we used a sequencer and a laptop to play the keyboard and drum parts we couldn't live, and around every 2nd song, something went wrong, be it accidently going out of time, or forgetting you changed the number of bars in the verse from 16 to 20, and you and your band look like complete prats.

If it's for keyboard bits or whatever, have a guitarist or something play them, and just make do with what you have. Sequencing can go very, very wrong.

EDIT: Triple post? ****ing AOL

no its a full backing track with guitars, keys synth pads, backing vocals, percussion, sound fx etc
dang that seems like a chore, maybe do without them?? or get a keyboardist?

or maybe there is a way u can have the drummer listening to the backing track with a click with headphones, and a different version being played live??

he could be wearing a cd player and click off to you normally, and you hit play when he goes after 4 or something lol. practice would defenitly be needed for this.
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by Br3wt4lz
no its a full backing track with guitars, keys synth pads, backing vocals, percussion, sound fx etc

..then what exactly are your band playing live?

Worse comes to worse, just play without drums, and sing along or whatever..

Out of curiosity, what program are you using? You should really get a MIDI keyboard for this business
Quote by Br3wt4lz

um. that's called lip-syncing. you should probably just get better at performing live...
They play the tamborine and the marraca's live apparently.
Quote by gallagher2006
..then what exactly are your band playing live?

Worse comes to worse, just play without drums, and sing along or whatever..

Out of curiosity, what program are you using? You should really get a MIDI keyboard for this business

good idea

program? i was thinking of running a virtual dj program which i think has the facility to hear one side and other to go to PA. Midi keys? its not triggering we need
Quote by Arthur Curry
um. that's called lip-syncing. you should probably just get better at performing live...

ha we have all been playing for about 15 years. this is for corporate gigs so the self righteous indignation is not relevant
Quote by Br3wt4lz
good idea

program? i was thinking of running a virtual dj program which i think has the facility to hear one side and other to go to PA. Midi keys? its not triggering we need

Still, you could set it up to put each different line in at different times, like for example:

Keyboard 1 - Synth pad - Start
Keyboard 2 - Guitar - 4 bars later

Like that. You should look into Cubase. Is it a cover perhaps?
Quote by gallagher2006
Still, you could set it up to put each different line in at different times, like for example:

Keyboard 1 - Synth pad - Start
Keyboard 2 - Guitar - 4 bars later

Like that. You should look into Cubase. Is it a cover perhaps?

ah sounds a bit risky..rather just not use triggers
ha ha got the answer

record tracks in cubase with click on left ear dump down to WAV

pan the PA to all right so only backing track is heard outfront

get a signal from the PA via in ear monitor

happy days!!!
Huh? You HAVE a drummer, a bassist, whatever guitar you may need, vocals.

And you want a backing track?

Tip: Practice more and don't use a backing track.