Hey guys, this is my first post so if I don't give enough information sorry. But here is what I wanted to do. In my strat, I have the standard american strat pickup in the neck, in the middle I have a fender lace, and my bridge pickup is a dimarzio. The thing is, I don't really like the middle pickup where it is, or do I ever use it. So what I was thinking, would be replacing the standard strat pickup in the neck with my fender lace, and then removing that pickup completely, so I would just have the lace in the neck and the dimarzio for my bridge. The only thing I was wondering about, would be wiring. I don't want to ignore the wiring for the middle pickup, plus the tone for the middle would no longer do anything, so I was thinking maybe set that to the bridge... but I am not completely sure how. This is the first time I've ever even thought about changing things around like that, so I'm afraid I don't know a whole lot about it. If anyone could help me out it would be great. Thank you in advance!
Alright, what do I do about the settings for the middle pickup? Would the pickup switch just act as a killswitch when put in the middle position? And how do I get the tone knob to adjust the bridge pickup instead of the middle?
you move the middle tone wire on the tone side of the switch over to the bridge tone terminal (should be the only empty terminal
Alright, makes sense. What do I do about the wires that should go to the middle pickup though, just get rid of them?
Alright, I'll definetly consider that. If I keep the 5 way, does that mean that I wouldn't be able to do the two together, and it would act like a killswitch when in the middle position?
Quote by Energysync
Alright, I'll definetly consider that. If I keep the 5 way, does that mean that I wouldn't be able to do the two together, and it would act like a killswitch when in the middle position?

If you want to both be able to use it as killswitch and neck+bridge, then you'd need a 5 way, if you want either killswitch or neck + bridge, I'd use a 3 way switch.

You can wire it so that any of the pickup combinations (neck only, bridge only, neck and bridge, none) are in any of the switch positions, regardless of if it's a 3 or a 5 way switch.
In that case I'll probably keep the 5 way, and use one of the settings as a killswitch. Will it be pretty simple to figure out how to wire it while looking at a diagram?
Yes, I think you'll be able to figure it out by looking at them. Start with the most simple one you can find, only one pickup and one volume knob (or something along those lines), try to understand that one, and move up from there.

EDIT: Here are two other useful links I had in my bookmarks:
http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/index.php
Last edited by whoismilan at Mar 26, 2008,
Alright, thanks a lot man. I think I'll work on it either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'll come back if I have any questions, but thank you very much.
id highly suggest grounding the unused pickup terminals my experience with electricity is it looks for the path of least resistance to the ground and if you just got a hot terminal with nowhere for the electricity to go it'll find a way to the ground
Oh shiz, yeah that's right. Shows how much I retain from those physics lessons, hah. Thanks for the reminder man, I don't want to kill anything.
So, I finished it all. What I decided to do was leave the middle pickup wired to the middle, and just moved it to the neck position. So that way, when my 5 way switch is on the bottom, it's bridge, up one click it's neck and bridge, and up one more (in it's middle position) for the neck pickup. Above that is basically a killswitch, becuase it kills the noise. I also switched the tone knobs so the tone on top is the neck pickup, and the tone on bottom is the bridge pickup. When I first went though it, I had forgotten to ground the unused pickup terminal, and got a nasty hum. But I just went in and grounded that, and now it works and sounds great. Thanks a lot to frozenboogerman for reminding me to ground the terminal, and to whoismilan for the diagrams and advice. It definetly helped. And although it works and sounds great, that's more than I can say for the looks. I've now got a hole where the middle pickup should be. Any suggestions on what I can put there?