So I've been thinking about my desicions on my next amp.This summer Im pretty shure Im going to get a job that will get me somewhere around $1000.The amp that I currently have in mind is a Carvin SBX210 amp with neo speakers.Now while I was at GC some time ago I played a warwick $$ through a markbass amp,this being the second time.The tone was what Ive been dreaming of for a long time.Now I have hard great things about Markbass amps and Im wondering If I should put my money tward a markbass Minimark or stick with the carvin.I want an amp thats Tone worthy, I really dont care how manny Watts it has as long as it has at least 100, and both have that.Please help me out UG bassists.What should I do?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If you love the sound that MarkBass is giving you, then get the MarkBass. That Carvin might not give you the tone you desire - Carvin makes their coin off of the faith of players, who save a lot of money for it. MarkBass might not give you the "bang for the buck" that Carvin would, but if it's your dream tone - that's all there is to it, isn't there?

My 20 year old Carvin gives me the tone of my dreams - but it's a piece of the puzzle. I believe that ALL good solid-state amps should cover the same range of tone, and it's the speaker cabinets that dictate the timbre. Definitely the case for me. I see myself playing through a 212+tweeter and some sort of sub cab without a tweeter from here on out.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Unless you happen to find a carvin amp to try and you like more than the markbass, it makes sense to go for the markbass really. That way you know what you're getting, and like what you're getting.

Also you might as well try out every single amp you can find to see what you like.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by thefitz
MarkBass might not give you the "bang for the buck" that Carvin would, but if it's your dream tone - that's all there is to it, isn't there?

Yea I guess but If I coud get an equally decent tone out of the carvin I would definately go for it because of its wattage and the 2X10 speakers instead of 2X6 speakers.
What about the Markbass head and Carvin cab?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Im thinking that would get to expensive.Is there any way to get Markbass prices?
Uhhh... I assume they have an online price list. The usual websites don't carry MarkBass?

I assumed the Carvin cab would be cheaper than the MarkBass cab. What about Avatar?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
The only website that carries MarkBass that I can think of is GAK. Maybe look on there and just convert to dollars. But yeah, the Carvin cab will be cheaper and will have to same general tone but in the speaker config you want. Like Fitz said, Avatar is another option.
Ok, thanks.A carvin cab will be perfect unless the avatar has a 2x12.Ive looked on the Marbass web site but no pricelist.Ill check out the GAK then.

Edit: Ok, I checked out GAK and the only one I could afford is the Little mark.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71679
Combined with the Avatar 212
http://avatarspeakers.com/
So together they are around $950.Im gonna be workin hard this summer.
Last edited by c3powil at Mar 27, 2008,