I've changed my friggen mind again and decided to wait a little and save a little more. Two good candidates that I've researched have been the Eclipse II from ESP or the RG Prestige series.

For those of you that have owned or played them, what is the playability like on both? What would be the best bang for my buck? Other suggestions are open as well. I cant really spend more than 1k.
Gibson.
What kind of music do you want to play? Do you want an FR?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well if you don't need the trem, then I suggest to go without it. Which works out well, because I was going to recommend the ESP anyways...
I'd say the ESP, it's more versatile.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm looking to get the Eclipse that retails for 999.99. Any difference between that and the other ones that are more expensive?

edit: Its not the LTD EC-1000 either its an ESP.
Gibson.
Last edited by ThrashIsGreat at Mar 26, 2008,
I don't know of any differences. That's a pretty recent price drop, so I think it just has to do with guitar center clearing out old stock. I remember, because I was looking at that same guitar several months ago when guitar shopping and the price was much higher.
Quote by oneblackened
I'd say the ESP, it's more versatile.

Rg is definitely more versatile then the ESP I would think. He could get the 1570 and replace the pickups in it. Also, if he were to eventually get the money he could put a true single coil where the middle pickup is for that genuine blues tone.
*self facepalm* I didn't think of that...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I would say for blues/metal you should buy two guitars first get a MIM strat second get a Jackson DK2M that is the best for versitality. But if you want one guitar get a Jackson SL3 or SLSMG they are very versitile.
I would say for blues/metal you should buy two guitars first get a MIM strat second get a Jackson DK2M that is the best for versitality. But if you want one guitar get a Jackson SL3 or SLSMG they are very versitile.
I used to own an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige and i currently own an ESP Eclipse II.

My Ibanez was fantastic. The neck was incredibly fast, i actually got better just by upgrading to this guitar. The bridge (Edge Pro) was incredibly reliable and never went out of tune even after months. The guitar also came with a fitted case that was lightweight but heavy duty. What i didnt like was the pickups that came on the guitar, not that theyre bad for stock pickups, but the middle pickup always got in my way, i couldnt stand it. maybe its my improper technique though since i see tons of players with middle pickups so its your call. also unless you pay tons of money, youll be stuck with a finish thats honestly pretty lame. sparkly blue or red? I play metal! Last but not least, as awesome as the Edge Pro bridge was, I change tunings around alot when i get bored so take that into consideration.

I got my Eclipse II (Vintage Black) around the time that i sold my Ibanez. This thing is absolutely beautiful but i do have some complaints that are opinions for the most part. First the good though, the neck does not disappoint. Coming from a Prestige neck you would have high standards for speed and shape. My eclipse has a satin finish all over so the neck is fast and shaped great. The guitar is lightweight, unlike a real Les Paul, and pretty thin. The Tuning machines (Sperzel Locking) are incredibly reliable, easy to use, and fast. if you play live, a string snap would probably take you 1 minute to fix. Now the bad. The case the guitar comes with doesnt fit the body that great, I honestly don't trust it to protect my guitar. My model came with EMG pickups, which everyone seems to praise for metal and hard rock, I guess my style is different than most metalheads because i think they sound thin and sustain for about 3 seconds (bridge at least). Last but not least, this body shape is known as a les paul which is also known as a sustain monster. due to the thin, lightweigt body, im not sure it can live up to that reputaion without effects and a change of pickups.

Overall though, I would have to go with my Eclipse. Both are incredible guitars, but the eclipse is going to be more reliable, cheaper to maintain (setups on FR guitars are typically double expensive), and fatter tone due to the RGs typically being made of basswood. I suggest trying to hunt down one of those Vintage White ESP Eclipse II's for $999, swapping the pickups for some seymour duncans, and trading the case for an SKB les paul case. hope this helps buddy!
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier