so lately(for a few weeks), i have been eating canned tuna (chunk lite) pretty much everyday. its a good source of protein and nutrients which i need cause ive been working out too. but my dad is saying im killing myself cause it has a lot of mercury in it. now i researched it and found it does have mercury but the albacore tuna has more mercury than chunk lite. ive found people saying they eat it everyday and they are fine and ive found people saying its very bad for you.

but i can't help it. who can resist a lunch thats delicious and is only 50 cents a can. nothing beats that except ramen, but ramen isn't nutritious and takes a while to prepare. with tuna you can just eat it out of the can .

what are your thoughts?
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
mercury is essential in the body for several reasons. But like everything, eat in moderation. It's more mercury fumes that are a danger anyway (cause of Mad Hatter's syndrome)

EDIT: My bad, I misread prevalent as essential somehow Mercury is found in our diet a lot, it's even used in medicine. And yes, the tuna you eat contains a lot of the bad compounds o' mercury... but a small amount won't kill you.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Mar 26, 2008,
yeah, i think mercury is bad for you, though, i remember doing this thing on a village in japan where the factory next door was dumping mercury compounds into the sea, all the fish ate it, and when the folk ate the fish they started having deformed babies, and dying all over the joint.

However, i do love Tuna, it's the bollocks!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
mercury is essential in the body for several reasons. But like everything, eat in moderation. It's more mercury fumes that are a danger anyway (cause of Mad Hatter's syndrome)

Rofl, Hater's Syndrome.
what i read says its just a little sketchy for pregnant woman, infants, and children up to 11 to be eating tuna on a regular basis. and i am none. you think i would be fine?

edit: so what are some alternate protein rich, convenient meals? i guess i could boil a ****load of eggs and keep em in my fridge.
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
actually its not just tuna. most fish has some level of mercury. the larger the fish the higher the amount. i read an article about it.
I think you need to eat more than a can a day for the mercury to do any damage.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Your fine, just don't eat more than one can a day.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

it's bad for the environment as well. you're killing sea otters when you eat tuna
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Quote by westo
it's bad for the environment as well. you're killing sea otters when you eat tuna

that's okay we'll just feed your babies to the sea otters.
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
if you are eating the chunk lite, you should be fine. they are a combination of a little bit of different fish in the same can instead of just one fish. eat it. its fine.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
to TS-Tuna isnt actually as good for building up as most people think. As it is an incomplete protein I.E has little amino acids so basically not much of that protein gets into the muscles. Plus eating it everyday is not BALANCING your diet in any way. Look into eating more Turkey and chicken, but grill them.

Also incorparating more nuts/seeds instead of choccy bars is good. And cottage cheers too! Tuna isnt bad, and your right, with a little light mayo its beautiful. But EVERTHING is in moderation and dont be fooled by its seemingly god like qualities. Also grab some Amino Acid supplements as these can replace the ones your missing and get the protein into your muscles.

peace

tobz
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Don't ruin my delicious tuna eating experience.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Yeah, it has mercury in it and they say that if you eat it more than once a week it can cause health problems and psycological problems in your future. I eat tuna alot, about 4 times a week. It's my favorite, I just can't stay away from the stuff. But, it's not good to eat too much.
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
ive never heard of any documented case of a death or disease because people ate too much tuna. so im just gonna eat it
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
remember to clean your teeth or AT LEAST chew three pieces of gum before kissing girls however. (or boys, whatever takes your fancy)

Seriously though if your going to be working out properly and you want REAL results then i can give you some tips on diet etc etc. After all, the diet and workouts iv done have dropped me from 16% body fat (not alot really) to 9%-even less and no doubt at the rate i work i could go down more. Also iv added tonnes of lean muscle, if your wanting real results you have to put the work in, its the same as playing the guitar, needs dedication and practice.

peace
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
That was a big scare awhile ago. Mercury is found in almost anything that comes out of the ocean seeing as how aquatic animals eat one and other. You don't have anything to be worried about though because while there may be very minimal amounts, it isn't enough to:
A) kill you, unless you eat it every day for the better part of your life
-AND-
B) it's tasty as fuck