How are they, and how do they compare to a Gibson studio? I was looking at getting a studio, but then I heard Epiphones were sometimes better than Studios. I can't get any of the elitist series epiphones, I only have access to the LEs PAul Custom (Black), the Standard, and the Standard Plus. What I really liked was how the tone cleared up with the 490R and 498T pickups when you roll down the knobs. I really like those pickups

MY Question is: Will and Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus sound good compared to a gibson studio? With or without a pickup change? if so, Which Pickups?
With a pup change, it can sound just as good, For brands I'd look at GFS on guitarfetish, Seymour duncans, or Dimarzios. Which pups? I'd say the the cliche Duncan set (JB bridge, Jazz or '59 neck), or GFS Vintage '59 in the neck, and a crunchy PAT in the bridge. Also, what amp do you have?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There will be a difference. First the feel is a heck of alot different. A Epiphone with a pickup change would sound pretty darn good, as long as you got a good one. Lately it seems like their QC has been going down. Or that may be just the shops down here in Florida are getting some spotty shipments. I'd say save up for Gibson, it'll be worth it in the long run. You don't wanna regret getting one guitar when you could have gotten a better one.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
I was looking at a set of SD '59s.. But GFS does look cheaper. Would you get the SD or the GFS pickups? And how is the JB in the bridge? I heard it was supposed to be a high output pickup while the 59s are supposed to be more like PAFs
I only really considered the Epiphones because they look nicer for a cheaper price, and people said with a P'up change they sound very close to a gibson.
les paul studios are not known for their quality....
i would suggest trying out an esp ltd ec-1000 at a local music store. they are much more affordable and better quality than the les paul studio (or at least the one i got is). it has the standard seymour duncan jb/59 set too. worth a thought but try before you buy.
Esp Eclipse EC-1000 (with Seymour Duncans)
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley Tube Screamer Comming Soon
Fender Twin Reverb Commnig Soon
The JB is a general-purpose pickup, and it can play almost any genre of music from say country to decently heavy metal. '59 is a good pup for clean to zeppelin or AC/DC level distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
jbs are pretty hot pickups and do lead and rhythm stuff very well. 59s have a great bell clean tone
Esp Eclipse EC-1000 (with Seymour Duncans)
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley Tube Screamer Comming Soon
Fender Twin Reverb Commnig Soon
I am not a big fan of Epi LPs; take a look at Michael Kelly Patriots instead. Better guitars for a lower price.

Quote by Grimpenguin
I was looking at a set of SD '59s.. But GFS does look cheaper. Would you get the SD or the GFS pickups? And how is the JB in the bridge? I heard it was supposed to be a high output pickup while the 59s are supposed to be more like PAFs

I replaced the JB in my Schecter S-1 Blackjack with a GFS Vintage '59 and I couldn't be happier.

The JB is far too thin and trebly for my tastes; I don't see it as being versatile at all.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.