Does anyone have any ideas regarding writing better pop songs? I am stuck in rut. I'm looking for something along the Beatles/Oasis sort of deal. I am in the process of learning Live Forever by Oasis, and in this process have become enamored by Noel Gallagher's style. Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by Rungej
just listen to more beatles.

always a good answer. However, I am looking for something along the lines of what scales/chords to use. I doubt it would be in a minor key because of its inherent nature to sound sad. I also am pretty sure I that anything written I-IV-V will sound bluesy. Does anyone have a quick, overarching summary of how Oasis/Beatles songs relate to scales?
Well...the beatles have a lot of different styles and I don't know oasis very well.

The beatles do use a lot of iv (minor) chords (while in a major key) and use that for a cool effect...try fiddling around with that (e.g. D, Gm, Bm, G). As is the case with most chords outside of the key, it can sound bad if used improperly, but used well it can make a specific part of the piece really stand out.
Quote by colin617
. I also am pretty sure I that anything written I-IV-V will sound bluesy. ?

the I-IV-V can sound any way you want it to sound. its used in pop, country, rock, metal, jazz, reggae, hip hop, blues. its literally used in everything