I'm buying an Epi Les Paul, I have $400-500...might be able to tack on another $50, but thats it....

What are my best options? Thanks
A Michael Kelly Patriot.

Far better guitar for the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The only decent epiphone in that price range is the LP Standard - beware of muddy pickups though.

You can get a Hagstrom Swede or Super Swede for that money though, the quality is much more constant with these guitars, you won't have to search for a good one, they're all good. Take a look:

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/

Does it have to be an LP for you though? You can get fantastic guitars in that price range already, e.g. from Ibanez or Yamaha.
Quote by hellraiser1133
I want alcino pickups of some sort...

You'll have a hard time finding anything else, to be honest. Bear in mind that "alnico" does not allways equal "good", though.

EDIT: What music do you want to play? What amp are you using?
Look at the SG too, they're a lot lighter and the lower fret access is unbeatable. I own an Epi SG and I used my uncle's Epi LP Custom and could could barely play anything past the 15th fret. If you have small hands like me an SG would probably be a better choice.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
I want the LP sound...I play rock, hard rock, alt. rock, etc...I have a Fender 212 Ultimate Chorus I think it's called, it's 100 watts....I should have clarified, I'm researching this for my friend, not for me, thats why I cant remember the exact model of amp.
Quote by hellraiser1133
I want the LP sound...I play rock, hard rock, alt. rock, etc...I have a Fender 212 Ultimate Chorus I think it's called, it's 100 watts....I should have clarified, I'm researching this for my friend, not for me, thats why I cant remember the exact model of amp.

Just get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that sounds good to you and get the pickups you want and switch them with professional help if you want.
keep in mind, 500 is about his limit...his other guitar is a johnson strat, so im sure these pickups will be an improvement, dont you think?
Les Paul Standard or Plus Top if you want to throw in some extra cash for better looks.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Quote by hellraiser1133
I want the LP sound...I.
Then from Epiphone, buy one of their SGs.

Believe it or not, thanks to their lower grade wood selections, arguably slimmer maple caps, and the different way they finish their guitars, Epiphone guitars have a darker, thicker tone than the Gibson equivalents.

This means, a Gibson SG is 'brighter' than an Epiphone SG, which is about as thick sounding as a Gibson LP, which in turn is brighter than an Epi LP, which is the thickest and darkest sounding of them all.

So, if you want the traditional LP tone from an Epiphone... buy one of their SGs.

You're alternative is to buy one of their LPs (which costs more for the same level of quality - all Les Pauls cost more than all SGs, even if the quality is the same, simple as that), and then buy some overly brighter, sharper pickups, to compensate the body. That way you get the same styling.. but you're losing much more money (it'll probably end up costing you over twice as much), and you lose the upper fret access too (personally, I find the fret access on LPs is fine, but I know many, many people find them hard to play on the higher frets).
+1 on the Hagstrom. Check it out, it's pretty hard to beat.

--- D