I cant get any better! I dont mean that in a cocky way (even though i am pretty good ) but a cant get to the next level. I have been playing for 4-5 years and took lessons for a while but over the past year or so i have not seen improvements.

I want to be able to play like the guys at guitar center. Id be playing something that i think is cool but then they come and make be sound like a beginner again.
Its not that i dont practice enough or anything but i just dont know how to start improving my playing skills.
Any Advise?
Hey dude.

I know what you mean about that, I've been stuck myself lots of times, but much of the times it's just that you does not notice that you are getting better. And sometimes it is hard to get better, mate. Just keep playing, you'll see, later you'll be getting better.

-JX
Hey gtrdude. In what format exactly have you been taking lessons? If you have been taking them through a formal teacher, then to me it seems a shame that you have not been recently improving yourself to new levels. What I mean is that if it is a teacher that is interested in your goals and helping your achieve them, then he should be catching these things. If it is a teacher you have been training under, I would definitely express how you feel about your situation and he should be able to help you with the problem. If not, seeking a teacher that is very interested in what you are trying to accomplish could be a very reasonable choice.

Also I think haveing a good structured layout of your personal goals (short / long term) as well as a detailed grouping of your biggest weaknesses could help in that you could more heavily focus your practices on your weaknesses. This should bring some solace to your lack of recent improvements.

Chris
Quote by gtrdude09
Its not that i dont practice enough or anything but i just dont know how to start improving my playing skills.
Any Advise?

if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

/zen
Compose your own stuff. Like David Gilmour, he isn't an insane shredder like John Petrucci (and Petrucci is pretty good, in fact, a virtuoso) but he has style and people like his music.
peanuts and beers