well i bought a lower end ltd last night(the mh103qm) to mod out and want to know what picks will get some high out put for metal. This guitar is also a hss configuration.

thanks in advanced
ugh. Agathis.

I'd go with DiMarzio Evos if all you're after is high output.
You don't need high output pickups if your amp's got the gain. I'd actually advise against it and you'll only get more mush. Also, unless you'll use the single coils I'd advise upgrading only the pickups you're most likely to use. Depends how picky you are about your lead or rhythm tones.

It's a cheap guitar though. In the end it's up to you whether you want to mod it, but I personally only mod guitars which would benefit from it. Practice or not, a gold turd's a turd no offence hehe
I think active EMGs would improve your guitar's tone more than passives because the wood would kill off the passive's tone, whereas the EMGs would still sound pretty good.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
for super heavy metal, I'd get emg's...prolly an emg 89 hss set, like, 89, sa, sa. I just got an 89 with an 81, instead of 81 85, and I like it better. Now, if you're looking for shred, like, real fast stuff, dimarzio's all the way. I'd go evolution(or air norton), and for the single coils, yjm, and hs3.

Seymour Duncans are pretty good, but for alot of people, they just aren't metal enough.
well its not Agathis anymore they changed to basswood with a maple top. I was looking at som Seymour Duncan hot rails anyone use those before? I guees its like a humbucker in single coil form.
Quote by I<3Pie

Seymour Duncans are pretty good, but for alot of people, they just aren't metal enough.

This means absolutely nothing.
they have a fair bit of gain, my friend used to have 1 hot rails pickup, but it's not necessarily like, heavy metal.
Quote by I<3Pie
for super heavy metal, I'd get emg's...prolly an emg 89 hss set, like, 89, sa, sa. I just got an 89 with an 81, instead of 81 85, and I like it better. Now, if you're looking for shred, like, real fast stuff, dimarzio's all the way. I'd go evolution(or air norton), and for the single coils, yjm, and hs3.

Says who?!

As far as I know, half of the people signed to ESP (br00tal metal guitar making company obviously) with signature guitars have Seymour Duncans if not more than half....

And through personal experience they are the tits.

Gus G from Firewind has the perfect H/H set for metal.

b- SD distortion
n- SD '59

that's some win right there.
other than the humbucker, i am just looking for the smooth buttery solo tones out of the single coils not brutal heavy. So maybe goin active would sound better cause i have a ss amp an heard it could make everything worst.
it's all an opinion thing. I don't like their tone. I know what the Gus G ESP sounds like, I've played it. I just don't like how it sounds. I've heard Seymour Duncans that I liked, but I personally wouldn't buy any myself, because I just don't like them, if you like them, then good, but people have different opinions.
yeah but if i do go the hot rail and seymore duncans route. How will the emgs sound on a roland 30 amp.
dude agathis wont react well with ur pickuos nd u wont achive the sound ur after
Quote by forsaknazrael
Okay, seems everyone has failed to ask the most important question:

What's your amp?

TADAAAAAAA!!!

Second most important question: what tone do you want?

Pickups DO NOT HAVE GAIN. They push your amp more or less, but the amp has gain. I play metal fine using single coils... Duncans or Fenders
Quote by mike20mrb
for the tone just 80's metal and some thrash metal like maiden

You don't seem to know exactly what you want... Tight or loose bass? Do you prefer a lot of high mids, a la JB or PAF pro or a flatter EQ? Do you need loads of outputs or is it not a problem (with your amp I doubt you do)? Do you need to cut through a fat mix or is it not necessary?

Unless we know all the answers to all these questions and more, people will just come in there telling you which pickups THEY favor and won't pay attention to your needs much.
I say SD's. EMG's through a SS amp will sound like ass...

It's opinion. Like, well, liking pie...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 26, 2008,
my EMG's sound great through my SS amp...
Ibanez...and Tama drums...are the coolest.
Quote by I<3Pie
my EMG's sound great through my SS amp...

Funny. I don't like EMGs through anything. What you think sounds great is not what he or I thinks as good tone.

EDIT: No point in arguing against comments like that, my bad...